my cat, the sink pooper - help
i'm new here and posting because i'm running low on sanity and ideas, i guess.
i have two male cats, joey pickles (two) and greg (about 8 months). they're both indoor cats, total sweethearts, get along well, are affectionate with me and are otherwise very healthy and up to speed with vaccinations, de-fleaing, etc etc.
i live in a small share-house with another person. the cats' litters live in the bathroom/laundry at the end of our narrow and small terrace house in melbourne, australia. there's not much room to separate the litter, so they're a few feet apart and very occasionally i've seen one use the other's litter.
my problem is with greg, no matter what i try, he regularly poops in the bathroom sink or the bath. he seems to understand the concept of litter, for peeing at least, because he uses it for that. he also poos outside in the backyard if he needs to go when i'm outside with them. i've taken him to the vet several times and they say in perfect health. i've tried the following, some of which have worked briefly, some not at all:
* four or five different types of litter
* adding soil or pine chips or twigs and leaves to the litter to simulate an outside-type environment
* filling up the sink/bath with water so he can't get in there
* deodorisers to clean the area of his smell
* fragrances to discourage him from going near the area
* different style litter tray ie covered/uncovered... large/small... different shapes... lined/not lined, etc
* placing him in the tray around the time he normally uses it and trying to encourage him, rewarding him if he uses it.
* i clean his tray regularly
there have been brief moments of success (he responded for a week or so to the replicating of the outside environment) before reverting to old habits. it's also really difficult to implement a lot of this stuff consistently because of work/other commitments.
obviously all this costs money and waking up to a sink full of crap isn't the best way to start the day, not to mention the strain it puts on my relationship with my house-mate. ugh
anyway, i don't know what else to try, so i'm just putting this out there to see if anyone has any ideas i haven't already tried.
thanks for reading this far. my cats are hilarious and awesome and currently pickles is on my lap and greg is sitting on my shoulders (!). perhaps he's reading what i'm writing.
please help! any ideas are much appreciated.
ps. sorry, should've posted this in the Q&A forum. please move it there if appropriate.