My dog can't close his mouth
My 1.5 year old american bulldog cross was healthy and normal until last saturday when he seemed to have eaten something that made him lethargic and wobbly. I immediatly thought he ate something poisonous so I took him to the vet to induce vomiting. There were lots of plants and grass in his stomach, so we thought perhaps he ate a toxic plant. They put him on fluids for a few hours and we took him home. He seemed to be feeling better when about three days later we noticed that he was a bit lethargic, his mouth was hanging open a little bit and he had difficulty chewing and swallowing his food. He was also drinking excessively. We took him back to the vet and they kept him for almost 3 days. With x-rays they ruled out any bone or tissue abnormalities. A blood test revealed high white blood cell count so they put him on antibiotics. Yesterday he had his energy and appetite back but still could not close his mouth. Since he seemed healthy and more comfortable, the doctor sent him home with us without a diagnosis (we cannot afford a bunch of tests to rule out all the possibilities at this point). He advised us to watch him closely for five days and if he stays the same or gets worse the vet will refer us to a specialist to test for neurological problems. We still don't know if he was poisoned, nor do we know if the first incident and the jaw issue are linked. He seems happy and energetic, but he still can't close his mouth and has difficulty chewing and swallowing. I hope he shows improvement in the next five days. Has anyone experienced anything like this with their dog before? Any insight is appreciated!