Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American pit bull terrier vs American bulldog

American pit bull terrier vs American bulldog

in less then I year I will be ready to get a dog I want to start really looking for a breeder or rescue but it's hard when you can't make your mind up so heres my question APBT or ABD?
    has anybody ever owned either breed I've read alot on line and in books but I would rather hear what poeple who live with these dogs think.
    thanks
    "The only thing two trainers agree on is that the third is wrong." I don't remember who said it but I love it.

Taco - 9 year old Timneh grey
    Violet CDX RE CGC - 7 year old APBT
    Charlie RN CGC - 3 year old pointer mix
    Wortham- 2 year old White Front Amazon

I personally have found American Bull Dog less friendly the the pitty. Most bull dogs will not be able to be socialized at all after they grow mature. Being able to play as pups but not as an adult dog. But you are oging about it the right way, resarch is always the best way to go.
    Sasha and Diego C.D. nary one without the other.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Unknown

Obedience train your dog and you have a friend for life!

My Flicker Pics

Eventually a woman wants to hear the pitter patter of little feet. Thats why I got a dog, its cheaper and you get more feet!" Unknown

I own a pit.. But never owned a bull dog... My uncle use to won one and he was sweet.. But a pit there very good dogs as long as they are in the right hands.

As far as interaction with people, I find both breeds excellent as far as my experince with them. However, either breed tends to have a predilection toward aggression directed at other dogs. rw
    Roger L. Welton, DVM
    Founder, Web-DVM.net
    Host, The Web-DVM TV & Blog

Djenks Guest
    first off, go to a resue shelter. yeah, it might be a little bit more work to get them socialized (which is very possible despite popular fallacy), but it will save a dog's life. Thousands upon thousands, think about that for a second, of pit bulls alone are killed in Chicago every year becuase they dont have someone who will adopt them.

secondly, my APBT is the sweetest thing in the history of the world. The most aggressive he gets is when he's chasing flies and bees on our back porch. He loves humans and dogs alike. he loves his tennis ball more than anything. He's got a brick head and is pushing 70 lbs, looks intimidating, but is the biggest softy ever. If you talk to MOST pit owners who treat their dogs with love and care, you wont find a pit that isnt a little muscle-bound baby.

As for American Bulldogs, they are what APBT were originally bred from, so you get a lot of the same qualitites, from what i've heard. They are less prone to animal agressiveness than APBT. However, both breeds have been bred throughout history to be extremely stable around humans, therefore they are amoung the best dogs for children and families. (http://www.atts.org)

I would reccomend an APBT. Honestly, most of the people that i have met that have pits will never ever own another breed. they will affect you that much. I know i never will own another breed.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanbulldog.htm
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanpitbull.htm
    http://www.realpitbull.com/

the last website is probably the best one. dog breed info dot com is pretty bias towards all the positive information on the breeds, but you can get a good idea of what they are both like.

I couldn't agree more! rw
    Roger L. Welton, DVM
    Founder, Web-DVM.net
    Host, The Web-DVM TV & Blog

My family has Pitties, and a guy I work with has had several Bull Dogs in his life, and loves them. He is in the process of adopting a 6 year old BD and is picking her up this weekend.

Pitties are awesome family pets. We currently have a neighbor that has a young male pittie that is running loose, intact, and it is such a shame. He is so sweet and deserves to be loved, but our laws out here don't care if dogs run free in the country. There are many times I come home from work and he is in our driveway. I always stop and give him lovies because I know he never gets it at home. Very sad. : (
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant
    Click every day to save a stray until he finds a loving home.

well I must be doing something right I have been to noth of those web sites
    I met a American bull dog the other day and think I will go with a pit bull they are very much a like but the american bull dog slubbers alot LOL and it is much smaller
    I never stoped thinking about adopting I have always adopted my dogs from shelters I am only looking at breeders because I want to get the most stable minded dog I can find I will look at the rescues first but I am keeping my options open. I really need a dog that will make people stop and re think thier take on pit bulls
    "The only thing two trainers agree on is that the third is wrong." I don't remember who said it but I love it.

Taco - 9 year old Timneh grey
    Violet CDX RE CGC - 7 year old APBT
    Charlie RN CGC - 3 year old pointer mix
    Wortham- 2 year old White Front Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by birdgirl
    I met a American bull dog the other day and think I will go with a pit bull they are very much a like but the american bull dog slubbers alot LOL and it is much smaller
    The american bulldog is much smaller? I think you saw an english bulldog. I own both and my pit is 70 pounds but my bulldog is 95. I would go with the bulldog. Doesnt really matter though they are both great dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghunter
    The american bulldog is much smaller? I think you saw an english bulldog. I own both and my pit is 70 pounds but my bulldog is 95. I would go with the bulldog. Doesnt really matter though they are both great dogs.
    Ive seen some huge pits ranging from 100 lbs to 130lbs and more.. I dont really know how big bull dogs get.. But i think they get from 80 lbs to 135 lbs.. Not really sure.. But some one might be able to help you out better with the bull dog.

On dogbreedinfo.com it says for male bulldogs weight range is 70-120 and for pitbulls its 22-110 (thats a big range) but its says they are commonly 35-55. 130 pound APBT terrier is huge. Are you sure it was purebred? The biggest pitbull i've ever seen was 100 and the biggest bulldog i've ever seen was 150.

Trust me it was a purebred.. It was a blue pit.. Real big.

130 Pit Bull

If you look at some of the breeders who claim to have the 100+ lbs Pit Bull the features often favor an american bulldog. If any one knows Bully Breeds they know that a true Staffy, Am Staff or Pit Bull (ADBA) is closer to 45-65 lbs. The bigger the Pit Bull the less infusion of the Black and Tan terrior was bred in to the line basically leaving you with an American Bulldog infused with a small amount of terrior.

what people don't know is the purpose of infusing terrior into the Bulldog (Am Bulldog) was to try and make a smaller more agile fighting dog which was not always the case. They also wanted a dog they could quickly snatch up in the event the police raided their dog fighting activities. It is much easier to break up two Pit Bulls than two American Bulldogs, even with a breaking stick Trust me. They are so much bigger and stronger that pits and almost just as quick if your line of American Bulldog runs more toward the standard line or the TRUE Johnson line which in beginning was a larger stronger American bulldog but still agile with long stamina for fighting wolf, wild dogs etc. The Am bulls you see today at 150lbs or close to it are usually out of shape most of the times.

My point is you will never see a TRUE pit weighing more than 65-70 pounds!

Be careful...

Dear Birdgirl -

My best advise is to be VERY catious if you are going to adopt either of these breeds from a rescue or shelter! Yes there are numerous WONDERFUL dogs in those awrful places that desperately need homes. However, the questions is are you going to be able to pick out the right one? After working and volunteering for my local shelter for numerous years and being a trainer by trade I can tell you the majority of the dogs in shelters and rescue are there because of behavioral issues. Housetraiiing, barking, digging, biting, nipping. All kinds of problems can be foudn there and are you willing and financially ready to take on a dog that may have these issues? If so, please DO adopt from the shelter or rescue as those babies need you! If not, then do your homework and read about both breeds and my best advise is to go with a puppy so that you can be sure that you are getting a well bred and sound dog. To many people are attacked by unsuspecting people trying to do the right thing for a shelter dog.

Be careful.

Julie

Smile

Hi ,

I am the proud mama to APBTs.

I honestly can't see myself with any other breed.

Neither breed that you are looking at is right for evryone though.
    My suggestion is that you visit some rescues and breeders and maybe get out to some shows and working events before making any choices.

Hands on experiences and talking to the people that have them will beat anything you can read in a book, yet I feel you must also research both breeds as well.

With either breed you must be even more responsible than the average owner not only due to the strength of the breed, but thanks to the media myths and stereotypes surronding bully breeds in general and also the irresponsible and ignorant who have hurt the breed. Be aware of BSL and the ignorance of many about the breed.

If I can help in any way, let me know!
    Therese, Patch O' Pits Proud Mom