Thread: dog twitching while sleeping

Question dog twitching while sleeping

Hi I have just bought a doby and lab mix. My puppy is 15weeks old and when he sleeps his stomach severly twitches . It looks like he has swallowed a tennis ball when his stomach starts twitching. this only happens when he is sleeping. It looks like this would hurt the puppy but the puupy shows no signs that it is hurting him. Some times he growls in his sleep when this happens. I usally wake hime when i see this happening and when i do wake him the twitching stops. Somebody please help and let me know if this is normal.

All of my dogs twitch in their sleep..., and growl, and yipe, and bark, and whine, and run. I've noticed that their eyelids move while they're doing this, which leads me to believe they're dreaming, same as humans(rapid eye movements). If it seems they're having a good dream(chasing rabbits), I leave them alone, but if the're growling or whining I gentley wake them. I've even experimented with talking them into good dreams by telling them to, "get the ball", or "run and play". It seems to work for me.
    Ort- dobbie/rottie mix(pet heaven)
    Hazel- yellow lab(pet heaven)
    Sadie Mae-Hungarian viszla
    Duke- chocolate lab
    Fargo- shepherd/? mix
    Jedediah- yellow lab

I agree Diego is a twitcher as well. And a "talker" in his sleep. Best is when he "talks" so loud he wakes himself up. I wouldn't be too worried about it, if he starts waking in pain then I would worry.
    Sasha and Diego C.D. nary one without the other.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Unknown

Obedience train your dog and you have a friend for life!

My Flicker Pics

Eventually a woman wants to hear the pitter patter of little feet. Thats why I got a dog, its cheaper and you get more feet!" Unknown

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by netnow View Post
    Hi I have just bought a doby and lab mix. My puppy is 15weeks old and when he sleeps his stomach severly twitches . It looks like he has swallowed a tennis ball when his stomach starts twitching. this only happens when he is sleeping. It looks like this would hurt the puppy but the puupy shows no signs that it is hurting him. Some times he growls in his sleep when this happens. I usally wake hime when i see this happening and when i do wake him the twitching stops. Somebody please help and let me know if this is normal.
    i dont know if its normal either but the first time ive seen my dog do it was when i read this. thats kinda creepy. his stomach started like jumping like he was having a seisure(sorry for the spelling) or something.

Dogs dream much like we do. The twitching is just their muscles contracting in their sleep. Ours do it too. I used to date a guy who would smack me in his sleep. Had no idea he was doing it but his whole body would twitch RIGHT when he fell alseep and then hed fling his arms around when he dreamt. Oy.

But yea, thats your dog dreaming.

ALSO, I would be careful about waking a sleeping dog, especially if tis whinging or growling. If the dog wakes up groggy and confused you could be the target. And it wouldn't be intentional. Ever wake up and do something that was completley out of charactger for you because you were half awake and coming out of a nightmare? Or ever wake up and hit something because of the nightmare, or scream? I have! A dog can do that too.

Im not saying NOT to wake him up. Im just saying take a lot of caution when you do
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Lovies: Fred, Keeper and Layla

Quote Originally Posted by FredsMom View Post
    Dogs dream much like we do. The twitching is just their muscles contracting in their sleep. Ours do it too. I used to date a guy who would smack me in his sleep. Had no idea he was doing it but his whole body would twitch RIGHT when he fell alseep and then hed fling his arms around when he dreamt. Oy.
    Ugh, my boyfriend used to do that sometimes. I learned to duck when I fell the tiniest twitch.

My dog used to twitch so much when he was a puppy that I thought he was seizing. It was incredibly scary. My vet assured me Luca was fine, but it still scared me. He still twitches, but not as bad as when he was a tiny guy. He barks in his sleep, and occasionally growls. The barking is very cute, tiny little woofs, and neat because when he's awake he doesn't ever bark at all. We always joke about how Luca is only a bad ass in his dreams.

Yes, pups can do all sorts of funny things while sleeping. Since their muscles are not being controlled, they're free to spasm as they please. Mine farts much more often when sleeping than when not. Also I find tummy sounds as well are louder and more plentiful when they're dozing. I also believe they're having great dreams of running and chasing.
    Where fur and feather meet.....

My Beloved Parrots

My German Shepherd Dogs

The Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by DoggieVogue View Post
    Ugh, my boyfriend used to do that sometimes. I learned to duck when I fell the tiniest twitch.

My dog used to twitch so much when he was a puppy that I thought he was seizing. It was incredibly scary. My vet assured me Luca was fine, but it still scared me. He still twitches, but not as bad as when he was a tiny guy. He barks in his sleep, and occasionally growls. The barking is very cute, tiny little woofs, and neat because when he's awake he doesn't ever bark at all. We always joke about how Luca is only a bad ass in his dreams.
    HAHA its funny. He used to hit me all the time (err in his sleep!) and then there was this ONE time I threw his cat in my sleep (the cat would sleep on my face and Im thinking it position itself so I couldn breath and not knowing what i was doing I threw the cat off me). The cat was fine. But he wouldnt talk to me for hours! Of course it was ok that he would kick and hit me all night, but I protect my right to breathe and well hahahahaha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Lovies: Fred, Keeper and Layla