Thread: frontline vs. cheaper brands

Smile frontline vs. cheaper brands

I wonder about the differences between frontline and the cheaper brands of flea and tick products. Costco sells their brand but the main ingredient is 22% stronger. I have a seven lb. yorkie, I think that is too strong.
    Would appreciate feedback on how well they work, and safety.. Thanks

_Lisa_ is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    I wouldn't buy a flea/tick product from anyone but my vet. Products sold by retail stores are not regulated and could range from less effective to dangerous for our beloved pets.
    ΦΕΦΗ
    Having a dog completely fulfills my need to be called Mommy.

"I shall pass this way but once; any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."

Apologizing does not mean that you are wrong and the other one is right. It simply means that you value the relationship much more than your ego.

I bleed blue!

Actually, Frontline is considered "over the counter," meaning that it it can be sold in retail stores. It would be like saying I shouldn't get ibuprofen from a local retail shop if we can't get Frontline outside of the vet's office. I really wouldn't worry about buying Frontline Plus and others like it from a retail location, it's prescription medications that you have to be careful about (and when we purchase online and at other places for those, we check to see if they carry a valid state pharmacy license).

I'd say stronger may not always be better. It depends on how well Frontline Plus is currently working for you; if you don't think it's strong enough, you can certainly give it a go.

Just a suggestion, but I quit using any chemical flea and tick several years ago. I put a little red wine vinegar in their water and use a product called "Natural Defense". I read some of the warning labels on the chemical stuff and it didn't seem to make sense to use something on an indoor pet that was so dangerous to the pet and to their humans.
    We had a serious tick issue on a few acreas of our land that is wooded. The boys came home constantly with ticks on them...I haven't seen one on the dogs yet, and they're in the woods all the time.
    I've been told that vinegar in water will also work for humans and in keeping away mosquitos as well as ticks and fleas.

"Natural Flea & Tick Spray for Dogs & Puppies, 8 fl oz
    SENTRY Natural Defense® Natural Flea & Tick Spray for Dogs & Puppies kills and repels fleas and ticks, yet it’s safe for use around children and pets when used as directed – even in multiple-pet households.

Each easy-to-use pump spray features natural active ingredients such as peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, lemon grass oil, thyme oil and eugenol Defense"

The smell is a little overpowering but it makes me feel better to know that the kids can pet them after treatment without rushing to wash their hands and I may be trying the vinegar myself this summer for mosquitos...

I'm not sure about how the size of the dog affects the effectiveness of the flea and tick prevention, but that sounds like something you either have looked into. If you're uncertain, I would go with the more protection, even if it costs more. In the long run, it will save you money from expensive vet bills. Hope everything is well!

Yes, definitely safe to be sure from vets prescription than just trying out products ourselves. Sometimes, cheaper products could lead to something more expensive.
    It's a dog eat dog world, Woody, and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Frontline. Have just had our puppy treatment changed to Frontline because it is by prescription and the Advantage we were using is now over the counter. Were told that being unregulated was a problem. Comments??

Follow up to what I just posted. Fleas are gone one day after Frontline, but itching continues. Is there a spray or anything else to relieve the itching? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by teresa zaza View Post
    I wonder about the differences between frontline and the cheaper brands of flea and tick products. Costco sells their brand but the main ingredient is 22% stronger. I have a seven lb. yorkie, I think that is too strong.
    Would appreciate feedback on how well they work, and safety.. Thanks
    I assume you are actually referring to Frontline Plus since the original Frontline Formula is no longer in production.

Frontline Plus has more than one active ingredient. However, it and the Kirkland (Costco) Flea and Tick both have (s)-methoprene. But, they are in different amounts.

I would argue that the formulas for each are very different.

I am not sure where you came up with the 22% stronger figure.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lisa_ View Post
    I wouldn't buy a flea/tick product from anyone but my vet. Products sold by retail stores are not regulated and could range from less effective to dangerous for our beloved pets.
    I couldn't disagree with this more.

The Frontline Plus sold at Walmart is the same formula sold by the Vet. The only difference is that the makers of Frontline give Vets incentives to peddle their product and pet owners pay more for the privilege.

EDIT TO ADD: This is the best review of flea treatments for dogs I have come across. Very thorough though not every brand is covered.

tiffers is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BoycottDD View Post
    The Frontline Plus sold at Walmart is the same formula sold by the Vet. The only difference is that the makers of Frontline give Vets incentives to peddle their product and pet owners pay more for the privilege.
    Hahaha. This is not true...at ALL. Pet Owners pay for guarantees...promises...reimbursements, etc. Did you know, if you buy Frontline from a vet and use it three consecutive months in a row and STILL have fleas, they send Terminex to your house for free to treat the yard and house. You don't get that when you buy it at Wal-mart or PetMeds or anywhere else. We have seen our clients bringing in these products bought OTC and they are NOT the same. The packaging looks super close, but the colors are off or the medicine is the wrong color, etc. Be careful. My pets are worth more to me than that kind of risk. I've treated too many half dead animals from OTC flea stuff and stuff that says 'same as Frontline' or 'same as Advantage'.