Thread: Adjusting my little farm dog to City apartment life

Question Adjusting my little farm dog to City apartment life

Hello all! Long time no talk. Everything is doing well with us we have had some changes in life still and I was kinda seeking some advice.. So after everything has finally straightened from the chaos of my life, I've met someone and I've moved about an hour away from my little hometown to Lexington.. It may not seem bug to most but with my hometown population maxing out at about 5000 its pretty big to me. I live in a one bedroom apartment with my boyfriend.. I've been there going on 3 weeks and after getting a new job and finally getting everything straightened out this weekend I'm going home to get Emie my little dog and Lou my cat to bring them up to live with us.. Yes I am allowed to have pets I've caught up on all the laws concerning pets that my little town didn't have. My only worry is Emie.. She's used to wide open spaces, surrounded by cow fields and no worries about having to use a leqash when she goes outside.. She is trained off leash very well and comes hen called she is a good dog but being up here is going to be quit different for her. Although there are a few parkss in the area that are off-leash she is going to be required to be on leash at all times every where else. She walks well on a leash but she is not used to be confined to it all the time. I usually open the door and let her out to roam free in the yard. While we are at work we are arranging for a friend who lives in the partment building to come and take her out while we are at work. If that does not work I have been checking into dog day cares that are close to the apartment and are cageless. I was just wondering if any of you may have some tips helping her to adjust to the noises and leash use that our other home did not have. Thanks in advance
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."

Mila- 3 years old, born on 8/28/08.

Emie-1 year, born on 9/8/10.

Lou- 2ish, found 12/10

Never Forgotten:

Teddy-2006-2008, Your paw prints will be in my heart forever.

Rose-1998-2010, You lead me through my childhood with only the wag of your tail!

My only advice would be to make sure she gets plenty of exercise, and absolutely tire her out every day. Don't give her chance to get bored or feel trapped, keep her busy.

You must already have them with you by now... How are they adjusting so far? I hope they're doing okay?
    Heather.

I'm going back Saturday and I'm getting them then... Thanks, I hope me taking her out before I live and then our friend taking her out during the day when we are gone then out again when I get home for walks will help her. I'm just kinda worried about the friend not being reliable as I want him to be but I guess we'll see how it goes. Thanks
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."

Lou- 2ish, found 12/10

Never Forgotten:

Rose-1998-2010, You lead me through my childhood with only the wag of your tail!

Emie and Lou are doing great. After a thorough inspection of the apartment Monday and checking out where there stuff is going to be they have settled down very well. Emie only barked one time at a fire truck and I'm ver surprised and proud of her for not barking anymore because I was araid that would be a problem. She's not trying to go out the door when its open alone and she is doing very well. We went for a walk before bed last night and she didn't bark at other dogs that were barking at her and really the only time she got distracted from the walk was when a stray cat came by. Of course she had to stop and smell all the smells but she is doing very well. She is even sleeping In her kennel and at my other home she would not sleep in it on her own. Overall everything is going great I just hope it continues to stay that way. As soon as I get a day off work I'm going to get her city tag that she was not required to have before and we will be all set and legal.

Lou- 2ish, found 12/10

Never Forgotten:

So glad to read the happy update on Emie's adjustment.

Lou is taking it well,too? She's a Very Brave Girl, after all.

Yes she is.. Not as well as Emie but she's not as well as Emie but I think she will be fin in a day or so. She does keep trying to escape out the door though lol I've been putting one of Emies old harnesses and a leash on her and taking her out occasionally though. I'm sure she'll be fine. She loves my boyfriend so that's helped her a lot too.actually I think she likes him more than me lol

Lou- 2ish, found 12/10

Never Forgotten:

Great to hear they're adjusting so well! Pip
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]