Thread: Dog greeting help

Smile Dog greeting help

My 1yr old blue heeler enjoys the company of other dogs and when she sees the other dogs in my neighborhood she gets very excited and hyperactive and excitable. Im trying to not reward her excited behaviors when meeting dogs because sometimes it gets the other dogs worked up. I'd like it if that when she saw another dog she didn't get so excited because not only does she whine occasionally but she also will pee at times, even if she sees them but doesn't greet them. ( I have a balcony that overlooks the place where people walk their dogs) Any ideas as to what I could do to help keep her from getting to excited when meeting other dogs? She's fine after she's met them it's just the initial greeting that she's over excited about.

Thanks!

My question to you, is why do you let your dog greet other dogs that you don't know? If you can't properly read dogs, you may end up running into a dog one day that ends up biting your dog. I "never" allow any of my pack to meet another dog. They're expected to pay attention to me, and keep focus as we pass by another dog. With that said, I'm walking four dogs at once, there is no room for excitement and bad behavior lol. Honestly if it was me....I'd stop letting her meet other dogs. Others on here may disagree with that, but one day you will run into a dog who may bite your dog, or one day when your dog is older and mentally mature, your dog may test another dog. Especially if your dog is very excited and not using common sense....those are often the dogs who get into trouble.

Do you know what motivates your dog? What toys? treats? etc? I say toys because you have a Heeler, and all the Blue Heelers I've had to train, were all pretty high drive and very toy motivated. Are you walking your dog each day? Typically Heelers' need a lot of exercise every day, or some type of job. See if you can find some type of toy or treat that motivates her. You'll have to learn to read your dogs signs, you'll have to get her attention "before" she starts to get excited.....if she gets excited then you're too late. You'll have to verbally correct, whether it's just AH!, or NO! and then turn around and walk her the other way. Get her focus with whatever you've found that motivates her. Anyway, I'll leave it at that, others will add more advice.