Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: 3 week old puppies act like they aren't getting enough milk

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5

    3 week old puppies act like they aren't getting enough milk

    I have 2 new pups that will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. When they nurse, they stay on each of mom's teets for a few minutes, then move on to the next. After going through all of them, they keep moving, over and over, as if they aren't getting anymore milk out. They also have a hard jerking motion when they nurse, as if they are trying to pull out as much milk as they can. They're acting like they are starving. The thing is, mom is about 65 lbs. About 3 months ago she got out of our fence, which apparently was long enough to "find a friend", so we have no idea how big dad is. These new little guys are 6.8 lbs. at 20 days old, so I think they are getting plenty to eat. Should I supplement this early? Also, does anyone have any idea how big these guys will get? I can't seem to find any information online for weight at this age.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    737
    No one can tell you how big they will get, you didn't say what the mom is, nor do you know what the dad is. Are the puppies keeping their weight up? How old is the female? Only two puppies? All I can say is, after this litter.......get her spayed. I remember growing up, my parents let their Collie roam the neighborhood. She ended up pregnant by who knows how many different dogs over her life time.. We never knew who the "dad" was.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    We adopted mom from the humane society over 3 years ago (as a puppy) and were told she is an Akita mix. She actually was already going to be spayed when we suspected she was pregnant. We don't let our dogs roam normally and our fence is fixed, so she shouldn't be able to get out again. The puppies have been gaining about 2 lbs/week and are healthy, they just act like they are starving and I wasn't sure if it was too early to supplement with soft puppy food.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    737
    I'm not sure I understand.... You said she was already going to be spayed when you suspected she was pregnant? But you've had her for three years? I would have had her spayed around a year of age. Breeds like Akitas, Rotties, Shepherds, are known for having large litters, I mean it could be there was only one breeding, or for other reasons that it's a small litter but only two puppies for an Akita mix doesn't seem normal. Aside from that a fence that is fixed is not always a safe haven for a dog who is in heat. Many large male dogs can get into a fenced in yard if a female is in heat. I would check to see if she's producing milk, but if the puppies are thriving (and they should be very feisty trying to get the milk) and health/weight is good, I wouldn't supplement yet. When they start teething you can start adding soft puppy food, but you probably have another week before the teeth start coming in. Did you deworm them the 2nd week? If not, I'd go pick up strongid from your vet, deworm them, and then next week, then the 6th, then the 8th.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Our fence is 6 feet tall solid pine and part of it sits on a retaining wall, making it over 9 feet, so i dont think anything will get in or out easily. We hadn't spayed her yet because we were contemplating breeding her (we love her personality and had some people that were interested in having one of her puppies) but have since taken in 2 more dogs and so we changed our minds.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    in the mountains
    Posts
    11,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
    I'm not sure I understand.... You said she was already going to be spayed when you suspected she was pregnant? But you've had her for three years? I would have had her spayed around a year of age. Breeds like Akitas, Rotties, Shepherds, are known for having large litters, I mean it could be there was only one breeding, or for other reasons that it's a small litter but only two puppies for an Akita mix doesn't seem normal. Aside from that a fence that is fixed is not always a safe haven for a dog who is in heat. Many large male dogs can get into a fenced in yard if a female is in heat. I would check to see if she's producing milk, but if the puppies are thriving (and they should be very feisty trying to get the milk) and health/weight is good, I wouldn't supplement yet. When they start teething you can start adding soft puppy food, but you probably have another week before the teeth start coming in. Did you deworm them the 2nd week? If not, I'd go pick up strongid from your vet, deworm them, and then next week, then the 6th, then the 8th.
    I wonder, based on this, if she is carrying around some dead puppies?

    Get her to the vet.

    And as soon as the puppies are weaned, get her spayed. No dog is so special that she needs to reproduce, there are many just as special as she is already looking for homes. Tell your friends to go to the shelter, just like you did.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifjohn View Post
    Our fence is 6 feet tall solid pine and part of it sits on a retaining wall, making it over 9 feet, so i dont think anything will get in or out easily. We hadn't spayed her yet because we were contemplating breeding her (we love her personality and had some people that were interested in having one of her puppies) but have since taken in 2 more dogs and so we changed our minds.
    Bet these guys could get in your yard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6QUmalgurU Sorry, but you really need to get her spayed. She needs to have an x ray done, like special said to see if there are any puppies still in her. It's not normal for a dog of that breed to have a litter of only two. If there are dead puppies still in her, it will eventually make her sick, and well..... Anyway, do you know what a female who is empty looks like? It's obvious you aren't experienced with raising a litter, please get her spayed after the pups are weaned. A dogs personality does not make them breed worthy. "If" I breed my German Shepherd one day, it will be after I get his titles, OFA his hips and elbows, have him tested for degenerative melepathy, his eyes tested, and a few other things. The same would go for the female I might have a few years down the road to breed to him, as I do plan to buy a titled female to possibly compete with. Back on subject though, there are enough mixed breeds in the world already. Shelters are loaded with them, why add to them? I'm not against breeding, but there is so much more to it than I think you realize. (Should be anyway).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Like I already stated, we are going to have her spayed.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifjohn View Post
    Like I already stated, we are going to have her spayed.
    Alright, well....good luck on everything. Hopefully you will take her to the vet to make sure there are no other puppies still in her.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17
    I don't understand what "getting her spayed" is gonna do to solve your puppy milk problem... but I would definetely check to see if she is producing milk... Akitas are pretty big dogs, and it sounds like the puppies are fully healthy, and growing fast, so they may be needing/wanting more milk to sustain themselves. And when a dog is producing milk, sometimes it will take a little while to produce as much as they need, when the puppies are constantly drinking, so that could be it. Hope I helped.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by lakalakadaka View Post
    I don't understand what "getting her spayed" is gonna do to solve your puppy milk problem... but I would definetely check to see if she is producing milk... Akitas are pretty big dogs, and it sounds like the puppies are fully healthy, and growing fast, so they may be needing/wanting more milk to sustain themselves. And when a dog is producing milk, sometimes it will take a little while to produce as much as they need, when the puppies are constantly drinking, so that could be it. Hope I helped.
    Yes, thank you! She is producing milk. The puppies have teeth coming through, so I have started introducing soft puppy food. They are not acting as ravenous as they were when I first posted. We have been weighing them everyday and they are continuing to gain weight. They gained over 2 lbs between week 2 and week 3. I have also read that puppies do not need to grow too quickly, or they can develope bone and joint problems, so I'm wondering if you knew if and when I should start to try to control their weight gain.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    737
    Quote Originally Posted by lakalakadaka View Post
    I don't understand what "getting her spayed" is gonna do to solve your puppy milk problem... but I would definetely check to see if she is producing milk... Akitas are pretty big dogs, and it sounds like the puppies are fully healthy, and growing fast, so they may be needing/wanting more milk to sustain themselves. And when a dog is producing milk, sometimes it will take a little while to produce as much as they need, when the puppies are constantly drinking, so that could be it. Hope I helped.
    Getting her spayed does nothing about the milk, and I think you know that. Getting her spayed will stop more unwanted mixed breed puppies from being brought into the world. There are plenty of them in shelters already that need homes.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17
    Well, since they are still puppies, they are going to continue to grow and gain weight rapidly, as long as they are healthy... when they start to get bigger, maybe a few months old, then I would start watching to watch their weight. p.s. Your puppies sound adorable! What kind are they?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17
    Yes, I know that, it just seemed like everyone was saying to get the dog spayed, when all she was asking was about the milk...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Norwich, Norfolk, England
    Posts
    6,810
    Quote Originally Posted by lakalakadaka View Post
    Yes, I know that, it just seemed like everyone was saying to get the dog spayed, when all she was asking was about the milk...
    The milk question was addressed. The spaying suggestion was ADDITIONAL advice, Pip
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Similar Threads

  1. Aren't they sweet?
    By pipsie71 in forum Pet Portraits Central
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 03:26 PM
  2. Seeing Things That Aren't There?
    By WoofBarkAroo in forum Health Chat (Dogs)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 05:36 PM
  3. Aren't they adorable??
    By AndreaMcc in forum Pet Portraits Central
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-31-2006, 06:44 PM
  4. Cats aren't getting along
    By keliason in forum Question & Answer! (Cats)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 04:13 AM
  5. Aren't They The Cutest??
    By ziggysmom in forum Pet Portraits Central
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 01:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •