Thread: How to keep cat out of cradle?!!!

How to keep cat out of cradle?!!!

So I've now gone from trying to figure out a way to keep my can entertained and was considering a second cat (which I decided against) to the point now where I'm almost to the point of getting rid of my cat! For the life of me I can't figure out how to keep him out of the cradle. I am due May 3rd to have my second daughter and I need to find a way to keep Cyprus out of the cradle. He does continue to get into other things as well, but the biggest issue now is that no matter what he keeps sleeping in the cradle. I've tried spraying a cat repellant on a towel and draping it over the cradle, even spraying it in the bedroom doorway to keep him out of there all together, and he doesn't give two sniffs about the spray. I tried putting tinfoil laid inside the cradle, he just jumps in anyway, the tinfoil doesn't phase him. I've been suggested to use a "crib tent" but they are made for regular cribs, this cradle is actually between the size of a crib and a bassinet so a crib tent wouldn't fit.

The baby is going to be in our room for the first few months and we've even had suggested to install a screen door in our room doorway but it simply wouldn't work with having a regular door on it also. We have to be able to shut the bedroom door since I already have a 4 year old daughter so of course there are times we need to shut the door...However I don't like the idea of keeping the bedroom door shut all the time when the baby is in there, the room would get stuffy and I just don't want to take the chance that it would get left open and the cat would get in there.

My biggest concern about Cyprus jumping in the cradle is not hygiene even (I think having animals around kids is a good thing), its the fact that Cyprus likes to lay near my face and if he did that to a newborn baby she wouldn't be able to breath, a newborn can't just turn her head away especially when she's asleep, not to mention if Cyprus laid on top of her he weighs about 9 or 10 lbs. My boyfriend is about to kick Cyprus outside for good between him still getting into everything (constantly knocking things down or over all night) and sleeping in the cradle.

Everytime I catch Cyprus in the cradle i rock it until he jumps out or bop him on the head with a pillow, but he doesn't care he goes back in eventually. PLEASE if you have any more suggestions help me figure out how to keep him out! I don't want to get rid of him, I don't believe in getting rid of pets, especially due to just having a baby, but I won't risk the safety of my baby either.

I've had Cyprus almost a year and a half, I'm very attached to him and he's a great cat who even lets my 4 year old play with him, not that he enjoys it, but he tolerates it. If I was to rehome him I'd be very picky about his new owner and would prefer him to go to someone I know, however I just really don't want him to go anywhere.

Some people say that once the baby is in there their cats don't get in the cradle due to the noise a baby makes, but I think Cyprus will jump in there still to cuddle up when she's sleeping. And he has a cat tower with two different levels he can sleep on so its not like he doesn't have his own place to sleep, he also will sleep on the couch or recliner, so there are plenty of comfy spots other than the cradle. What else can I do?
    Missing being a pet parent, but will be again some day when the situation allows it...Rest in Peace Willow my aussie girl-sept.19 2010, sweet Satin bunny Oct 1999-Jan 10 2006 and Tinsle chinchilla 2004-Jan.23 2008, Shiloh beagle dog June 23rd 1994-April 17th 2008, Grace chinchilla Dec. 26th 2003 -July 2008, Kit chihuahua Dec 1997-2009.

_Lisa_ is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    What about covers? I know lots of Moms that use covers to keep the cats out:

http://www.totsinmind.com/products/crib2.html
    ΦΕΦΗ
    Having a dog completely fulfills my need to be called Mommy.

"I shall pass this way but once; any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."

Apologizing does not mean that you are wrong and the other one is right. It simply means that you value the relationship much more than your ego.

I bleed blue!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerica View Post
    I've been suggested to use a "crib tent" but they are made for regular cribs, this cradle is actually between the size of a crib and a bassinet so a crib tent wouldn't fit.
    Why not get a new crib for the baby, get a suitable cover for it, and let Cyprus have this one if he likes it so much?
    Heather.

That link is exactly what I was saying wouldn't fit the cradle, they are made for a standard size crib, the cradle is not big enough for those crib tents. The cradle is only about 39 inches long, those crib tents it says are 54 inches.

We are going to get her a regular crib eventually, but while she is in our room for a few months we have the cradle which is smaller and actually fits in there. We are saving money where we can and I won't be working for 3 months, then about the time i go back to work we can get the new crib. Once she's in that we wont be leaving the cradle up, there isn't enough room to leave a cradle up just for Cyprus, he has his own places to sleep as well as the couch and recliner and anywhere else he chooses.

If I had someone who could even take him for a few months that could solve the problem, but currently I don't know of anyone that can.
    Missing being a pet parent, but will be again some day when the situation allows it...Rest in Peace Willow my aussie girl-sept.19 2010, sweet Satin bunny Oct 1999-Jan 10 2006 and Tinsle chinchilla 2004-Jan.23 2008, Shiloh beagle dog June 23rd 1994-April 17th 2008, Grace chinchilla Dec. 26th 2003 -July 2008, Kit chihuahua Dec 1997-2009.

_Lisa_ is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    I made the suggestion of the cover because it's the best possible solution, everything else stopping you from making the best decision & setting yourself (and your cat) up for success is just an excuse.
    ΦΕΦΗ
    Having a dog completely fulfills my need to be called Mommy.

"I shall pass this way but once; any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."

Apologizing does not mean that you are wrong and the other one is right. It simply means that you value the relationship much more than your ego.

I bleed blue!

Make your own cover for the smaller one. It can't be that difficult. Or ask someone else to. You know anyone who's good at sewing?
    Heather.

You need to give Cyprus something more interesting to lay in/sleep in. You could try a new piece of cat furniture like a tree with sleeping areas, could be something smaller than what you already have, just new and interesting. Siamese are naturally inquisitive cats, I've never met one that wasn't into everything, it's kind of a package deal.
    The Kitties: Tia, Buttons, Tigger, Uber, Isys, Voodoo, Midi, Xaria & Tig Tig.

The Dog: Kaylee

The Ratties: Emma, Pixie, Elle & Nym

Waiting for me on the other side: Blue, Lexi, Pumpkin, Alice, Bob, Archemedes and Harry You're greatly missed but never forgotten.

Problem is solved, one of my friends has taken him for me for a few months so at least the baby can be a few months old and its not so risky to have Cyprus jumping up in the cradle because she'll be able to turn away and I think she'll move around enough he'll decide he doesn't want to be next to her. If nothing else by then we'll have a regular crib and can get a crib tent. I'll be able to visit him and everything so I think this should work. I already miss him and he just left earlier. Thanks for the suggestions but nothing else seemed to work. Luckily I'll have him back in a few months. I just hope he gets along with my friends cat and their dogs...which i think he will.

I hope he settles okay, bless him, poor lad.

Good luck with the birth and everything, just a couple days before you pop!
    Heather.