Thread: My baby has a bladder stone again

My baby has a bladder stone again

My six year old dog has a bladder stone again. She had one removed about three and a half years ago. Now she has another one. She has been on a special diet since then. Of course I can't say that she hasn't snuck some of her sister's food. Our choice is try this one kind of special dog food to see if it disolves from it or have surgery again. Now if the dog food doesn't disolve, then surgery will happen. Now with the dog food, she will get xrays about four weeks to see if they are going away. If it works, then we are only paying $400-$500. If it doesn't, we pay that plus the surgery of $800. I am leaning towards the surgery since we will be gone on a trip for ten days during one of the feeding. Have to decide by tomorrow morning. What would you do?

If her life is not currently in danger and there is a way to prevent surgery, I would try the less invasive treatment (diet) first. Where will she be while you are away for 10 days?

Why does it matter about how she will be fed, while you are away? The pet sitter will just feed her the food you leave for her. Or the boarding kennel, whichever your plan for her is.

last time

Last time she had a bladder stone, she quit eating. Now she was at a pet sitter's house and I guess they didn't notice that she wasn't eating. When we picked her up, she was like a dish rag. We didn't know for about another week that something was wrong. She just kept trying to go to the bathroom quite often. We never went back to this sitter.

This time she will be at my daughter's house. Feeding the special food may be hard because there will be three dogs involved. Our two and her one. Dogs still food

If this food doesn't work, the stone could be growing bigger.

How big is the stone? Do you know what minerals that last stone was made of? These are factors that might effect whether or not the stone will dissolve.

I'm guessing that you're on Hill's s/d now to dissolve the stone and c/d to maintenance?

For the future, you might also want to try feeding distilled water instead of tap (less minerals).

Good luck, and I wish your dog a speedy recovery whatever way you go.

Jana

Urinary SO

She has been on something called Urinary SO from the vet's office since the last surgery. I think they called her stone a stagnite or something like that. Saturday night into morning, she had to go outside four times in two hours. At that point I knew we made the right decision for the surgery. Today I dropped her off at eight (boy do I hate doing that). Found out that she had a stone the size of a nickle and the woman on the phone said it was maybe 3/4 inch thick. Then they found another one maybe the size of a pea. Dang that is a lot for a 5.8 pound dog. The vet said the other day that if it is the same type of stone, then they will get with the manufacturer. Urinary SO is suppose to prevent those stones. I am not sure when I will find out what type of stone it is. I am picking her up tomorrow around two. I can't wait to get her. I miss her even though I have another sweet dog at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggles01 View Post
    She has been on something called Urinary SO from the vet's office since the last surgery. I think they called her stone a stagnite or something like that. Saturday night into morning, she had to go outside four times in two hours. At that point I knew we made the right decision for the surgery. Today I dropped her off at eight (boy do I hate doing that). Found out that she had a stone the size of a nickle and the woman on the phone said it was maybe 3/4 inch thick. Then they found another one maybe the size of a pea. Dang that is a lot for a 5.8 pound dog. The vet said the other day that if it is the same type of stone, then they will get with the manufacturer. Urinary SO is suppose to prevent those stones. I am not sure when I will find out what type of stone it is. I am picking her up tomorrow around two. I can't wait to get her. I miss her even though I have another sweet dog at home.
    Aw, poor little girl, she must have been in a lot of pain. Do you mean struvite? But then..struvite don't form stones usually, they are crystals. Oxalate are the stones, and, as you know, have to be removed by surgery. Yes, the Urinary SO is supposed to 'prevent' these, but I guess prescription foods don't work for every animal.

Or perhaps you might try a different brand this time. Urinary SO is made by Royal Canin, there are other brands you can feed.

Keep us posted on your girl.

Picked

I picked her up this afternoon. They have sent her stones off to a lab. Takes about a week to get the results back. We will decide on what to do when they come back. On the plus side, she is sitting on my stomach right now. She is trying to go a lot more now but that could be due to her stitches.

Thanks for the update! You must be SO GLAD to have her home. And I'm sure she is too.

Let us know how she is doing.

Doing

Well she is acting a little strange. I have found her under the sofa. When we take her out, she "goes" lots of times. I called the vet back today and they said it could be sore so maybe that is why she "goes" so much. I didn't know it until tonight but they took her bladder out to get to the stones so they said that could be the reason it may be sore. If it isn't better by tomorrow afternoon, they will send home some different pills.

Sorry to hear she is having some trouble. Keep in touch with the vet until you know all is well. I hope all does go well. Wishing you and her the best. --Jana

Back

We took her back to get her stitches taken out and they said they got the results back from the lab. Same type as last time. So they are going to do a x ray in six months to see if there is anything going on at that time. If so, they will do some kind of medicine to try to prevent another surgery three years down the road.

Thanks for the update! So, how is she feeling? Is she on special food now?

Sounds like whatever medicine they gave to you wasn't workikng very well if she had a stone THAT BIG inside... that's gotta be uncomfortable... keep us updated! Stones are not fun... Poor dawgie..