Thread: Question.

Question.

Why is it just fine and dandy for members here to advertise their animals for sale like pieces of furniture as long as they aren't cats or dogs?

I don't want to sound like I'm trying to start an argument or anything, I'm honestly not. But it bothers me.
    Heather.

I'm with you, Heather. I hate seeing any animal advertised "for sale" on a website like this.

Seems to be a different attitude when it comes to reptiles than with the furries :/ But are cat/dog ads allowed on the classifieds as well?
    emily

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Any similarities in my posts to anyone or anything real is purely coincidental.
    Please do not take anything I type as fact. I also may not be who I say I am, so don't know anything about anything.

The PetLovers.Com Classifieds (4 Viewing)
    If you're looking to buy or sell pets, pets supplies or other related products, here's the forum for you!
    Classified Forum Guidelines - Read Before Posting.

The posting of Dogs or Cats for sale is strictly prohibited on PetLovers.Com.

Posts of this nature will be removed without notice.
    {Rule Effective September 3rd, 2006.}
    Frankly it bothers me that they're set apart, like the others are somehow less important.

I HATE to see words and phrases that you'd use to sell inanimate objects used to sell off living breathing creatures. Makes me sick.
    Heather.

_Lisa_ is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    I personally agree that selling animals shouldn't be allowed, but Mr P sets the rules & the mods just try to enforce them. You can always PM him to share your thoughts!
    ΦΕΦΗ
    Having a dog completely fulfills my need to be called Mommy.

"I shall pass this way but once; any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."

Apologizing does not mean that you are wrong and the other one is right. It simply means that you value the relationship much more than your ego.

I bleed blue!

...because not everyone here is an AR person who thinks that pets are small furry children?
    Yes, they're alive. No, they're not children. Yes, we eat some of them, too.
    I will never understand the AR viewpoint--I think animals should be alive, and be respected for what they are...and so should people. If they have value to us, why not sell them? Separating humans from animals the way AR groups want to do will only result in the deaths of the animals. Be part of nature--not above, below, or next to it--part of it.

There are plenty of animal rights forums out there--this one, from what I have seen, is about pets. AR people want to end pet ownership, so it's definitely not for that.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
    ...because not everyone here is an AR person who thinks that pets are small furry children?
    I will never understand the AR viewpoint--I think animals should be alive, and be respected for what they are...and so should people. If they have value to us, why not sell them? Separating humans from animals the way AR groups want to do will only result in the deaths of the animals. Be part of nature--not above, below, or next to it--part of it.

There are plenty of animal rights forums out there--this one, from what I have seen, is about pets. AR people want to end pet ownership, so it's definitely not for that.
    "Animal Rights" has nothing to do with it. Some of us feel that animals shouldn't be bred and sold for profit.

Some feel that animals should not be marketed on the internet because there is no way to ascertain that the buyer will be a decent home for the animal. Which, more often than not, they aren't, that's why they are buying over the internet, so they won't be subjected to too much investigation.

And people who sell animals over the internet are as suspect as those who buy. One wonders what the seller is hiding, by peddling live animals on the internet, rather than in a local venue where people can come and see what condition the animal, and the animal's environment, is in.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post

...Animals aren't children?! Oh my good gracious, no wonder the local school wouldn't let them enrol(!) Thank you so much for explaining that. LMAO.

I realise I'm not going to change your mind on this matter any more than you'll change mine. But those are not my reasons for being against selling animals online or for starting this thread. I'm not complaining about people looking for an appropriate/better home for an animal in their care. I'm not even complaining about people asking for money in exchange for the animal - I understand that they should be reimbursed for the care the animal has received so far, and/or that animals have "monetary value" to some people. I'm not even complaining about them being bred, (although that does grate, can't help my feelings there) - It is better to provide a wannabe exotics owner with a content captive bred animal than have them pull one from the wild.

What I'm complaining about is advertising animals for sale online. I'm complaining about people breeding them with the sole intention of selling them off to god knows who by advertising their stock like they're mere possessions.

You said that we should respect animals. I agree. But in my opinion, when you breed animals without homes already lined up for the offspring so that you have to advertise them for sale (or worse "on sale") anywhere you can find a classified ads section, that is not respecting the animal or putting the best interests of the animal first, it is exploiting the animal and putting your own interests first.

Now I suppose you'll adamantly disagree and wow me with a massive lecture about how wrong and ignorant I am? You actually really remind me of someone I know.
    Last edited by Wiztherewoz; 03-28-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    Heather.