Thread: Labrador/Rat terrier mix

Labrador/Rat terrier mix

So my husband and I have a new foster puppy and can I say that I am In love. The thought of not keeping devastates me! But we do live in an apartment so a big dog is out of the question.
    His mom is a rat terrier-about 12 lbs. The dad is a yellow lab-not sure of weight but a standard lab.
    Baby is now 7 weeks old and weighs 4 lbs.
    His feet are relatively small and he has a small head.
    I know anything would be just a guess-but is he more likely to be moms size or dads? I can post a pic once I get on my home computer! He's a cutie.
    Mom to:
    Snickers, 8 yr old Dachshund
    Maggie, 4 yr old Mini Dachshund
    Lucy, 6 mnth old Rat Terrier mix

Foster mom to:
    Many, many dogs

What would be so bad about a medium or large dog? I find so many people who think well, we have an apartment....or the dog would have to be in the house....so we can't have a big dog (40 lbs or more is big to a lot of people). If a dog is well exercised and trained early on (as all dogs should be regardless of size) then there's no problem there. As for what size the puppy will be, or which parent he takes after....we can't really say for sure.

If the mother was the terrier and dad the lab, if she managed to pop out the pups okay, chances are they aren't gonna be big dogs. Do you know if it was a natural, problem-free birth?
    emily

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Any similarities in my posts to anyone or anything real is purely coincidental.
    Please do not take anything I type as fact. I also may not be who I say I am, so don't know anything about anything.

Actually it's not a problem wth my husband or I. Our landlord doesn't allow dogs over 30lbs in the apartments.

Yes she had all puppies with no complications(only two have not been adopted, so I'm fostering one and an older lady is fostering the other).
    I read quite a bit last night and an average lab puppy at his age would be between 8-12 lbs right now(approximately). He weighs 3.8 lbs...
    Mom to:

Foster mom to:
    Many, many dogs

Why are you fostering a 7 week old pup, if there were no complications or anything? It should still be with its mother really.
    emily

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Any similarities in my posts to anyone or anything real is purely coincidental.
    Please do not take anything I type as fact. I also may not be who I say I am, so don't know anything about anything.

Because the owner of the mom turned the litter over to the SPCA on Friday.
    Mom to:

Foster mom to:
    Many, many dogs

I have a lab/ ray terrier mix. The mother was a rat terrier, like your pup. She is know 2 and a half years old, and weighs exactly 30 pounds. She is such a sweet dog and listens so well.