Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: My dog can't close his mouth

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4

    My dog can't close his mouth

    Hi there,

    My 1.5 year old american bulldog cross was healthy and normal until last saturday when he seemed to have eaten something that made him lethargic and wobbly. I immediatly thought he ate something poisonous so I took him to the vet to induce vomiting. There were lots of plants and grass in his stomach, so we thought perhaps he ate a toxic plant. They put him on fluids for a few hours and we took him home. He seemed to be feeling better when about three days later we noticed that he was a bit lethargic, his mouth was hanging open a little bit and he had difficulty chewing and swallowing his food. He was also drinking excessively. We took him back to the vet and they kept him for almost 3 days. With x-rays they ruled out any bone or tissue abnormalities. A blood test revealed high white blood cell count so they put him on antibiotics. Yesterday he had his energy and appetite back but still could not close his mouth. Since he seemed healthy and more comfortable, the doctor sent him home with us without a diagnosis (we cannot afford a bunch of tests to rule out all the possibilities at this point). He advised us to watch him closely for five days and if he stays the same or gets worse the vet will refer us to a specialist to test for neurological problems. We still don't know if he was poisoned, nor do we know if the first incident and the jaw issue are linked. He seems happy and energetic, but he still can't close his mouth and has difficulty chewing and swallowing. I hope he shows improvement in the next five days. Has anyone experienced anything like this with their dog before? Any insight is appreciated!

  2. #2
    tiffers's Avatar
    tiffers is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Texas
    Posts
    18,014
    Do you know if he was checked for any tick diseases?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    The vet did not mention tick diseases. Maybe his symptoms were not typical of any known tick born diseases? And the only thing the blood work indicated was high white blood cell count, which could mean different things. He still has some motion in his jaw, enough to play fetch with a ball. It seems to be the back of his jaw and tongue, like it's numb or something.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    in the mountains
    Posts
    11,752
    Sounds like whatever he has gotten into he is still getting into. Are you watching him when he is outside? Do you have house plants?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    milton florida
    Posts
    1,903
    he could have been bitten by something is his mouth swollen. i have occured this situation twice . if it is indeed a bite doxyclene and cheplexin will clear it up but ask the vet to take a good look around the mouth and inside the mouth for a bite.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"WORKING HARD EVERYDAY TO IMPROVE ANIMAL LIFE AND WILL NEVER STOP UNTIL THE WORK IS DONE"
    edwardsanimalcare@wordpress.com
    I am on face book now and skype @edwardsanimalcare

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    They initially treated him with antihistamines and antibiotics. He is still on antibiotics but still doesn't close his mouth. It is probably something neurological, but he doesn't have any other symptoms except the open mouth and difficulty chewing and swallowing.
    Last edited by deannalynn; 12-06-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling error

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4
    I did some more research and I think my dog could have a condition known as
    "drop jaw" or trigeminal neuritis. I posted the link below. Has anyone else had a dog with this condition?


    http://www.petplace.com/dogs/trigemi...ogs/page1.aspx

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    in the mountains
    Posts
    11,752
    I guess you'd better get him to a neurologist then. Keep us posted.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1

    hi

    i know this has been a long time since you posted your issue, but my american bulldog has started the same thing for almost a week now. did you ever find out what was wrong? how is he now??

    thanks
    Jackie

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    in the mountains
    Posts
    11,752
    Quote Originally Posted by jackies68 View Post
    i know this has been a long time since you posted your issue, but my american bulldog has started the same thing for almost a week now. did you ever find out what was wrong? how is he now??

    thanks
    Jackie
    Hi Jackie, welcome to pet lovers. What has your vet said about dog's problem?

Similar Threads

  1. Bleeding mouth-My weiner dog's mouth bleeds when we play ball
    By Gunwy in forum Question & Answer! (Dogs)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 10:50 AM
  2. You know you are close too your dog when
    By PatchO'Pits in forum General Discussion (Dogs)
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 08:00 PM
  3. So close...
    By mzdolittle in forum Pet Portraits Central
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-12-2006, 08:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •