Thread: Does your bird like to hang upside-down?

Does your bird like to hang upside-down?

I just saw Rio hanging from the top of her cage ... and she was completely upside-down. She looked like a bat! This is the first time I've seen her do that. I've seen her climbing around her cage before and sometimes she crawls (using both feet and beak) across the top of her cage, but I've never seen her hang completely upside-down. I went up to her and talked to her and she just looked at me and continued to stay upside-down. I'm not sure what she was doing before I saw her in the position. Anyway, I'm just wondering if a lot of birds do this. When I had my cockatiels, I've never seen them this. However, Bijou is always hanging upside down when she's out of her cage (this is how she watches what's going on in the room).
    Animals are such agreeable friends -- they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.

"The question is not, Can they reason? nor Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?" (Jeremy Bentham)

http://community.webshots.com/user/eeveep

LOL. Marcel hangs upside down all the time. Well, in his cage he doesn't hang off his perch, but he hangs upside down holding onto the bars of his cage over his water dish and does a "nose dive" into his water to bath himself. He does this almost everyday....so funny to watch.

Also, Marcel likes to hang upside down from my finger. He looks so cute and he enjoys it.

Try this with Rio.....Let her perch on your index finger then grasp her two feet snuggly with your thumb. Start to rotate her while perched this way and she should hang upside down.

Marcel gets a big kick out of this.

Talking

Marcel sounds soooooo cute! I can just imagine him hanging upside down over his water bowl and doing a nose dive ... LOL! What a cutie!

Mrs.Birdy, I'm going to try it with Rio tomorrow and see if she'll hang upside down from my fingers. That must look so funny!
    Animals are such agreeable friends -- they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.

"The question is not, Can they reason? nor Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?" (Jeremy Bentham)

birdygirl Guest
    Pumpkin hangs upside down, but Sophie doesn't. When we took Pumpkin to the vet he told us she was a clown. but we already knew that. LOL.

jake always hangs upside down!....sam used to. (do you guys think i should let sam back on the tree?...he's doing a lot better and can perch (just not for a really long time). he's always sitting on the bottom of the tree now...i think he wants to be with jake and berry. idk what to do. i want him to be with the other birds and happy, but i also don't want to be the one to allow him to be there and possible fall to his death.)

I think you should progress slowly with Sam. I am so glad he is making some progress....I wouldn't put him at risk so high up on the tree. Let him play at the bottom under your supervision so he feels he is interacting with his friends.

Keep us updated on Sam's health.

"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed".....Antoine de Saint Exupery

I'm so glad to hear that Sam is slowly getting better. I agree with Mrs.Birdy about progressing very slowly. By the way, are his wings clipped? If they are, then he is at a risk for falling. If his wings aren't clipped, then it will probably be easier because if he started to fall, he could always fly ... therefore, the risk for hitting the ground hard is less.

i leave him on top of a cockateail cage that is sitting on the floor...it's right next to jake so that they can see eachother and visit. the problem is that now he's feeling more confident and i keep finding him on the bottom of the tree, a couple of times on the curly rope that they have to climb to get to the top of the tree, and once aven on the tree. he got his wings clipped 2 years ago, but the feathers didn't really grow back...he's grown about half of the back, bt i don't theink the other half will ever come. he's not the healthiest of birds so when he loses a feather, it's ususally gone for good. even if he didn have all his feather back, it wouldn't matter anyways because he is to fat to fly. even before we got them clipped the 1st time, he couldn't fly. o'well...thanls for the advice.

Please give Sam some extra hugs and kisses from Mrs.Birdy for being such a brave and good boy.
    "You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed".....Antoine de Saint Exupery

crazeemama Guest
    My CAG Rikki seems to sleep like that as most times when i uncover him he is upside down. He also turns somersaults from one of his perches too.

The only time I've seen Perky hanging upside down was when she was trying to bite me while I was fixing something in her cage from the outside.

Gosh, there's so many birds that like to hang upside down. That makes me feel good -- cuz I thought it was just Bijou gone *crazy*... LOL and now Rio too!

Does anyone know why birds like to do this?

Jenny Guest
    All your birds sound like such cuties! My luvy Scherzo like to hang upside down, and so does my g-cheek Kirby. His cage has one of those "gang-plank" style doors that swings down, and that's where I play ball with him. When I'm playing the game, he hangs upside down by one foot on the cage door, and in his other foot he holds the ball and shakes and rattles it for me! It's sooo cute!

Sometimes Tweety goes to sleep hanging upside down from the top of her cage. She only does it when she feels like it and when she does she spends the night like that.