Thread: Expired Heartguard?

WoofBarkAroo Guest

Expired Heartguard?

So I received a donation of Heartguard from the local pet pharmacy (at the pet store where I used to work), about 10 boxes of the 1 year supply. Half the boxes are 1-25 pounds, and half is 26-50. They give them to me every so often, when boxes started to expire. However, usually the boxes are expired by about a week. These, however, have expired 2 months ago. Almost all are the little tablets, only one box is the chewables.

I realllyyyy hate to waste them, obviously. Think they're still good?

tiffers is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    ...they are still good. However, not as good as they are when they're in date. I wouldn't rely on expired heartworm prevention, but that's just me...and I don't have a million dogs.

So, it's your call...it doesn't work as well, but it's better than nothing.

WoofBarkAroo Guest
    Well, I have all my regular heartworm preventative. I use Iverhart monthly for everyone. I was just thrilled to get a bagload of Heartguard too, LOL.

I called my vet. He said use the 26-50lb dose on the small dogs (under 25lbs), and double it (2 pills) for the dogs that are 26-50lbs, and double the 1-25lb dose (give the small dogs 2 pills), for the dogs under 25lbs.

I guess I'll do that. He said it'll be just fine doing it that way, and he does it as well with his dogs when HW pills expire at the clinic.

tiffers is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    ...well, if it's your vet's advice. lol We won't ever say that because you don't know how much of the drug is expired and when it expired...

hi dear,..
    found heartgard for large dogs that expired in nov. 2008. just wondering if its still good or if i should pitch it. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony123 View Post
    hi dear,..
    found heartgard for large dogs that expired in nov. 2008. just wondering if its still good or if i should pitch it. thanks
    Throw it away. Two weeks or two months is one thing. Two years is is too long.

One of our dogs had heartworms when we got him. It was an expensive treatment, and hard on him too. No way I'd risk a repeat of that, I'd toss it.
    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

cat colony: Hunter S Tomcat, Archie and Mehitable, Witch, and Calamity Jane, Cuddlebug, Havana, Ghost, Spitfire Liz, Little Bit, Jesse, Moe, Cali, Stardust, Anastasia & Christy, Sally and the 5 boys

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

rip Tiger, Rabbit, Two Stars, Angel,Elaine, Mungo Jerry, Tex and Ijimus. I'll meet y'all at the bridge.