Thread: Why Does my dog bury her food

Why Does my dog bury her food

Our dog is an inside dog and she is given her food in her kennel. In her kennel she also has a blanket. Once we give her her food she proceeds to try to 'bury' it with her blanket. Or she just shoves her nose in the food to disturb it but not actually eat it. We thought at first it was because there was too much food in her bowl so she was scooting it out, so we limited the amount we put in there but she is still doing it and we have no idea why. She will enventually eat her food but we just don't understand why she is trying to cover it up. Does any one have any suggestions?

My guess would be it is just her "thing". Dogs like to hide and bury their bones and treats and such, until they are ready for them. Sounds like your doggie just carries it a step further.

Welcome to pet lovers! What's your dog's name? Got any pics?

I think most dogs bury some sort of food at some point. Some even try to bury it on the carpet or in their beds where you can still blatantly see it! My dog has scuffed her nose a couple of times trying to bury something in the bedsheets! Pip
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As the others have said, some dogs just do this. In my experience, it usually seems to be small breeds... Who guard their food. They bury it to hide it, keep it safe. But then again some just do it for no apparent reason. I've seen a dog dig at concrete to try to bury a food bowl

If you don't want her to do this, take her food away when she doesn't immediately eat it. If her mouth leaves the bowl, take it away.

This doesn't mean she misses a meal. You can offer her it again 10 minutes later, but as soon as her nose leaves it, remove the bowl. Soon she'll learn that she has to eat it straight away, or she loses it.
    emily

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Any similarities in my posts to anyone or anything real is purely coincidental.
    Please do not take anything I type as fact. I also may not be who I say I am, so don't know anything about anything.

I have to agree that it is probably just your dogs thing. I have a lab that sometimes when we fill up her food bowl, she uses her nose and just pushes it out of the bowl or just moves it around and then she will eat it. Then other times when we fill up her bowl she will just eat it without pushing it around.

Tracy
    Pet Lover Websites
    Web design, SEO, Marketing
    Wife, mom to two humans, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 hamster, and 1 fish.

I agree with the other advice, many dogs (small especially) just do this. My little daschund always tried to bury her bones into the carpet or wall, and she'd hide them in the couch for safe keeping. It was too funny. My suggestion if you don't want her doing this is like squashynose said, take it away if she doesn't eat it and offer it again a few minutes later, trust me she will get hungry enough and eat it right away.

My little sister's dachshund Skittles, does this too, but only when we leave her in the crate, when my dog Spotty, and Skittles are together she doesn't bury her food, he gulps down his food then trots off and she eats all of hers after he is done. We figure that it is he is older and she respects him but anyway, when she is in the crate she covers up her food dish with her blanket and her water bowl too spilling it all over the crate and then she sits in the back of the cage and stares at people of my dog when we walk by. When I go I in there to clean up (Yes, I physically have to climb in the crate to get the bowls), she just sits there and stares at me while I clean up the water/refill it and put the food back in her dish.. though she does it again as soon as I climb out of the cage and shut the gate. It is quite a mystry to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemypupz View Post
    Its just instincts, I assume it is a smaller breed of dog?
    They are the scavengers. gathering food and saving it/hiding it.
    Like what a chipmunk or squirrel does.
    What?! lol
    emily

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Any similarities in my posts to anyone or anything real is purely coincidental.
    Please do not take anything I type as fact. I also may not be who I say I am, so don't know anything about anything.

Its a trait from their ancestors. Canines in the wild will bury their food because they may have too much of it at once and will save it for later or to protect it from others. It just so happens your dog still does this. Its not bad, it may be annoying to you and if so you can always train around it to stop that behavior but theres nothing wrong. Its all part of their ancestry..wild canines still do this and as you can see so do some domestics =)