Thread: Urgent! Dog pooping blood

Urgent! Dog pooping blood

First off I did call the vet and she has an appointment at 10:30 today but I was wondering if any of you have ever ran into this

Coco is a 5 yr old choc lab. Yesterday the one time when I let her out I noticed she had some loose stool but it wasn't a big deal. Then sometime during the night she puked in her crate and the puke was clear. My husband cleaned it up when he was getting ready for work at 4:30 then at 7am I got up and she had puked again so I got her out of the crate immediately and let her go outside. I was waiting for the bus with my son and coco tried to poop but when she pooped it was all bright red blood and it was all in liquid form. No "regular" poop was present. She didn't eat the treat I gave her last night, she didn't eat the treat that my husband gave her this morning and she wouldn't eat the treat I tried to give her this morning. She is drinking but isn't eating.

She is up to date on all of her shots as we just took her a couple of months ago and she doesn't come in contact with any other dogs except our 11 yr old yellow lab and once in awhile the neighbor dog comes over. Both of which have no symptoms.

I'm really concerned about her because I have never seen this before with a bloody stool.

Tracy
    Pet Lover Websites
    Web design, SEO, Marketing
    Wife, mom to two humans, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 hamster, and 1 fish.

Could she have eaten something she wasn't supposed to? Labs are notorious for eating anything and everything weird. She could have a blockage in her intestines.

Your vet will probably want to do xrays and bloodwork, so be prepared for those costs off the bat. Let us know what they find out.
    Krystal

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

She hasn't eaten anything odd that I am aware of. She is an indoor dog and is only let loose outside when we are out there with her and neither me or my husband have seen her eat anything odd.

I'm pretty worried about the vet bills but luckily I have the care credit card that is specifically for both human and animal medical care so even though I don't want to use it, I know I will today. Just want to be sure that it's nothing serious.

Tracy
    Pet Lover Websites

We took a bouncy ball out of a lab 2 weeks ago. There's plenty of non-food items she could have gotten in the house, unfortunately.
    Krystal

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just got back from the vet and they did some bloodwork and decided that she has gastroenteritis (sp?) They gave me four different meds for her and some special food especially for this illness.

I'm so relieved that it's nothing more serious and it can be treated. I was pretty happy that it only cost me $240 for the visit, meds, and blood work. I was expecting much more and that she can be treated.

Tracy
    Pet Lover Websites

I'm also relieved it's not something terrible. Don't you just hate not knowing? I know my fears can overwhelm me at times.
    Where fur and feather meet.....

My Beloved Parrots

My German Shepherd Dogs

The Cat!

dlaura is offline I must, I must, I must Supporting Member
    PetLovers.Com Moderator
    That is wonderful that it isn't anything too serious.

Glad you had the care card just for this type of emergency.

I hope Coco improves quickly now she is being treated for her symptoms.
    ATTITUDE! Life is 10% what happens to one and 90% how one reacts to it!

What a relief it's nothing serious I'm so pleased for you. Love and get well wishes to Coco, Pip
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am too. I was just really concerned when it was all blood and no stool and the fact that she is only 5 years old. I was worried that her stomach was twisted or some type of cancer or something else but it turned out to be treatable and not life threatening. I just can't believe the meds they put her on.

I have to give her one 30 minutes before I give her the others and one med is for 5 days, one is for 7 days and one is for 10 days.

She's still kind of lethargic but she hasn't puked since this morning, and she is at least drinking water so that's a good sign.

Tracy
    Pet Lover Websites

Is there signs of constipation at all?

Good thing it's not that serious. And I hope it won't lead into more serious problem. Good thing also that you immediately brought her to the vet.
    "Who does need blanket when you got your pooch to cuddle?"
    Dog Bark Control:: Pet Gate :: Dog Training Equipment::
    Dog Life Jacket :: Dog Shock Collar :: Electronic Dog Collar

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDance View Post
    Is there signs of constipation at all?
    She seems to be acting fine and she did finally poop yesterday and it was solid and no signs of blood so she must be getting better.

Tracy
    Pet Lover Websites

Hi Tracy! I'm glad that she's okay now. I hope it won't happen again because it sounds like you worried a lot. It's good to hear that you didn't spend a lot. Even after all the time and money spent on them, it's worth it. Good luck and I wish Coco good health!