Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euthanasia question

Euthanasia question

I know there are some Vets and Vet Techs on this board so I have a question maybe they can answer.

What is the proper chemical to use in euthanasia for dogs and cats?

I ask because I remember reading a horrible article once about how a few unethical places use the wrong chemical (much cheaper), which paralyzes the animal while they suffocate.

I have a friend who may have to put down a cat and I want to ensure that this cat gets the proper chemical administered for euthanasia that is as painless as possible.

Thank you.

tiffers is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    The only two I know of are Beuthanasia and Beuthasol. These are very humane drugs, as they sedate the animal so they go to sleep as though they are going for surgery, and then it overdoses them so they do not wake up.

You may want to call the clinic she may be taking the kitty to to see what they use...
    Last edited by tiffers; 01-30-2010 at 08:42 PM.

I have had animals euthanised with phenobarbital and had the kind of reaction you are describing. It was not pretty.

I have also had them euthanised with sodium pentathol with little reaction at all.

Evey, you may be thinking of Pentobarbital? Phenobarbital is a seizure medication. Pentobarbital is found in most euthanasia solutions. Though, I don't think that it's the sole ingredient...I've never heard of the other one?

Our clinic uses the same stuff tiffers is talking about.

I agree with her, call the clinic you are planning on going to and ask.
    Krystal

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WoofBarkAroo Guest
    My vet uses Beuthasol, I believe. In really scared or nervous animals, he'll sometimes give them Valium first to make them really sleepy, before giving them the euthanasia drug. He did this for my mom's 17 y/o dachshund when she requested it.

We've given sedatives prior, too. In some cases, I think it's more for the owner...and that's perfectly okay. We try our best to make this kind of experience absolutely flawless and as pleasant as it truly could be...

Quote Originally Posted by tiffers View Post
    Evey, you may be thinking of Pentobarbital? Phenobarbital is a seizure medication. Pentobarbital is found in most euthanasia solutions. Though, I don't think that it's the sole ingredient...I've never heard of the other one?
    Both are old school. You may not be old enough to know these, but there are still vets who use them.

Sodium Pentathol is used on horses still.

...hmm, I know Pento. but not the the Pentahol. I don't like large animal medicine, so I steer clear of that area. Pentobarbital is still used, just not solely...though, I've never heard of using Phenobarbital as a euthanasia solution...in fact, I'm not sure how it work...it's just a brain sedative...but, well...maybe it would...if you used it enough...

Hmm, now you've got me thinking... ...off to learn something new! Thanks, Evey!

WoofBarkAroo Guest
    We've given sedatives prior, too. In some cases, I think it's more for the owner...and that's perfectly okay. We try our best to make this kind of experience absolutely flawless and as pleasant as it truly could be...
    Yeah, I think that's mostly why he does it too, for the owner's comfort. My mom requested something to 'relax' her dachshund, and so he gave her a little valium. My mom still talks about how pleased she was in the peacefulness of her passing. Said she was peaceful and just went to sleep painlessly. Couldn't ask for a better way to go.

Hm...I can't find anything saying phenobarb is used, other than people getting the two confused. Though, looking more at it...if you were to use that, you'd need a whopping huge dose...I'm not even sure why you'd choose that over overdosing with something different...? Do you know why you're vet used that, Evey? I am, honestly, interested. I'm not trying to call you out...

Hm...I can't find anything saying phenobarb is used, other than people getting the two confused. Though, looking more at it...if you were to use that, you'd need a whopping huge dose...I'm not even sure why you'd choose that over overdosing with something different...? Do you know why you're vet used that, Evey? I am, honestly, interested. I'm not trying to call you out...
    I would imagine because it is very cheap. The kill shelter I worked at used it.

I guess so. It's cheaper than Sodium Pentobarbital. Did it come in big bottles then? It only comes in 1ml bottles now, I think. At least, our's dose. I can't imagine using it...the type of drug it is, it'd take a massive amount to euthanize a small animal because it's not intended for that purpose. What a terrible way to go, too...considering it doesn't knock you out completely...just kind of takes the edge off. It's got to be better than some of the other ways shelters 'dispose' of animals...I am wondering if some shelters still do this with it being off label...

Thanks, Evey. Learn something new everyday.

It came in very large bottles. Not sure the ml, but way bigger than other meds.

>>>>> I would imagine because it is very cheap. The kill shelter I worked at used it.

Thanks ... see, that is exactly what I read about. Some places using a drug simply cause it's cheaper even though the experience might be worse for the animal.

Beuthanasia and Beuthasol sound like the best ways to go.

Also, as everyone has pointed out, I will be sure we talk with the vet first.

Thanks, this is very important info to know that probably most of us would want to know at some time or another.