Thread: How long do dwarf rabbits live?

How long do dwarf rabbits live?

OKay, I've done some research and have found many different answers to my question, "How long will my dwarf rabbit live?" I have found any where from 5 years is an old rabbit to most rabbits live 10-15 years. My sweet Satin is a dwarf polish girl. She is unspayed (there really is no reason to spay her as she is never near another rabbit), she is almost 6 years old (in October she will be 6) and the only health related issue was wondering why she was still producing milk which I asked about before and is not an issue anymore. Otherwise she is in good health, eats rabbit pellets, timothy hay, every once in awhile a carrot. She seems pretty active when I let her run around although she isn't as active as she used to be. I've heard dwarf rabbits live shorter lives than larger rabbits. I hope she can at least live to be 10. The reason I brought this up is I have never had an animal die of old age because we either had to give it away or something happened to it at a young age. I also am concerned and getting a little upset because one of my dogs just turned 10 and the other will be 7 soon. She is a sweet bunny and sometimes plays what I call "bunny soccer". When she is sitting on the floor I lay out on my stomach and I tap a tiny sqishy soccer ball at her nose with my finger and she sometimes hits it back to me. I know she is just saying "get that away from me" but I think its cute . Please if anyone has researched life expectancy of a dwarf rabbit or knows for sure about how long they usually live I would be thankful. I'm sure that my bunny will live awhile longer and I'm not going to worry about how many years or whatever it is to the sad event I will enjoy my time with her, I just don't want to be as worried when some day I might find her, well, you know that it was someting I did.
    Missing being a pet parent, but will be again some day when the situation allows it...Rest in Peace Willow my aussie girl-sept.19 2010, sweet Satin bunny Oct 1999-Jan 10 2006 and Tinsle chinchilla 2004-Jan.23 2008, Shiloh beagle dog June 23rd 1994-April 17th 2008, Grace chinchilla Dec. 26th 2003 -July 2008, Kit chihuahua Dec 1997-2009.

Hi, i just looked up that some dwarf rabbits live up to 15 years... They can hav 7 to 12 baby's..
    xxx xxx jubjubair

mzdolittle Guest
    I had a Himalayan dwarf that I got when he was 3 months old. I had him for 9 years. I have a Polish male, now. Your bunny may actually be playing with you. I can throw a set of plastic baby keys a few feet in front of me and he will bring them back to me and drop them in front of my lap. Try throwing something towards her other than a ball and see if she will pick it up and bring it back.

Always Spay and neuter Rabbits

Rabbits should always be spayedd or neutered, EVEN IF THEY DO NOT COME IN CONTACT WITH OTHER RABBITS. The organs removed during this procedure often are the cause of problems later in life (cancer here in female Rabbits who never breed is VERY commen).

10-15 years is pretty accurate i haven't had any rabbits that long yet but I do know they live long lives. but a rabbit's life strongly depends on the care it from it's owner. so it can very but by the sound of it you care for you rabbit very well. so you shouldn't have to worry until she gets with in that range but by then she would have lived a long happy rabbit life.
    Only some of my pets, email me for more pics:
    Scarlethttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...et/home159.jpg
    Patcheshttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...A0187_0033.jpg
    Elenorhttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...A0064_0005.jpg
    Eddie(Feb/04-Dec/03/06-deceasedhttp://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...ie/home195.jpg
    *note to Eddie if your wondering he died peacefully in his sleep