Thread: Should a dog be walked before or after eating?

Should a dog be walked before or after eating?

Tilly is now settled into a good routine with her bowel movements. The only thing is, she is fed before her morning and tea time walk. She always poos on these walks. Ideally I'd like to walk her before she is fed as I understand this is the correct way to do it.
    Do you think her bowel can adapt to a new routine now ie get used to pooing before her meal, so that when we leave her for work she's empty and comfortable if you know what I mean? Do you all think it's a good idea to change her routine for the reason I've given? Many thanks, Pip

Please could you give your opinions as to whether a dog should be walked before or after eating and why so that I can make an informed decision? I'd be really grateful! Pip
    Last edited by pipsie71; 08-14-2009 at 03:50 AM. Reason: to add
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I almost always walk my dogs before they eat rather than after. I think it is the movement that stimulates the "movement". so I don't think it would bother her at all to change the routine.
    Theresa and Gigi <woof woof> and Anisette<arf arf> and Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge<chirp chirp> and Enchanté <ruff ruff>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think the way your doing it is best. Dogs have fairly short digestive systems, and after eating almost always have to evacuate a short time afterward. She'd possibly be much less comfortable if she ate, then can't poo. She'd have to learn to hold it until you got home. I'm sure she'd be able to regulate herself, but I really see no reason to change how you're doing things.

As for being the correct way of doing it, I've never heard that walks should be before meals. Extreme exercise yes, but just a nice walk, they can be anytime.
    Where fur and feather meet.....

My Beloved Parrots

My German Shepherd Dogs

The Cat!

lol

And now you have two opposite opinions!

Take your pick.

My Beloved Parrots

My German Shepherd Dogs

The Cat!

Yeah lol. I'm not sure now! Thanks to you both anyway. Maybe I'll see if anyone else comes in with an opinion and then take a vote! Pip
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And yeah Becky it was the comfort thing that worried me the most as I kinda got the feeling that she liked to poo after her food. She doesn't like to have an accident indoors either and it might exacerbate her anxiety if she feels she needs to go and can't. Pip
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I know Moska always poops about 15 minutes to a half hour after she eats. She is only 6 months though, so as she gets older perhaps she'll not have to go so quickly. Even my adult males though like to do their business shortly after they eat.

Moska oddly enough also poos right after she wakes up. So, that's two poos early in the morning.

I'm curious, what is tea time for your dog?

My Beloved Parrots

My German Shepherd Dogs

The Cat!

She has breakfast round about 5.15 - 5.45 am and tea between 5 and 5.30 pm and walked directly after those 2 meals as well as an afternoon walk (2pm where she poos too) and a bedtime walk (9.30pm usually no poo). She also has a couple of kongs with kibble in when we go to work so she'd be getting even fuller! Pip
    Last edited by pipsie71; 08-14-2009 at 03:10 AM. Reason: spelling!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mods, is it possible to change the title of this thread to 'Should a dog be walked before or after eating?' Thank you! Sorry for being a pain! Pip
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by pipsie71 View Post
    Mods, is it possible to change the title of this thread to 'Should a dog be walked before or after eating?' Thank you! Sorry for being a pain! Pip
    Done Pip, and you're never a pain!

My Beloved Parrots

My German Shepherd Dogs

The Cat!

I think if your dog is having trouble eating their food and getting excited about it, suffering from depression, etc.,. then you walk them before you eat. Otherwise, you can walk them afterwards and they'll do just fine.
    "If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat." — Douglas Adams

"Some people don't understand cat love." -- Ka-mai

Sara: "Well not everyone's as weird about the way they love animals as you are."
    Me: "I don't know how to love any other way!"
    Sara: "And that's what makes you so darn ADORABLE!"

Husky06 Guest
    I can't say I agree with not walking before the meal. In the dogs mind...as Cesar always says, it's in them to get up, and go for a walk. The walking comes when they wake up. Obviously you don't eat in your sleep now do you?....well okay I've heard of humans doing it lol, but thats not the point. With mine, we get up, walk early, come back, let them cool off and then I eat, and then they eat. Pack order..... And I also want to ask, who in their right mind would go walking after a good sized meal? Especially when it gets this hot, you are asking for stomach problems. I know I get sick if I do a lot walking or running if I just ate when it's as hot and humid as it gets here.

Yeah well if I DON'T walk after I eat a big meal I feel even more miserable! LOL And if I eat after I take a walk, I'll be too hot and I'll end up being sick!

I guess you gotta figure out what works with your dog. I'm thinking they have to be as different as us people are!
    Last edited by Llamalady; 08-14-2009 at 08:48 AM.
    "If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat." — Douglas Adams

"Some people don't understand cat love." -- Ka-mai

Sara: "Well not everyone's as weird about the way they love animals as you are."
    Me: "I don't know how to love any other way!"
    Sara: "And that's what makes you so darn ADORABLE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Llamalady View Post
    I guess you gotta figure out what works with your dog. I'm thinking they have to be as different as us people are!
    That's what it sounds like to me too. None of my dogs poo after eating. Not even the puppy. They all poo at certain specific times . . . like when they wake up in the morning, and again around 4-5pm. But they get fed after those times. So it probably is just what they are use to and how their digestive track times it.
    Theresa and Gigi <woof woof> and Anisette<arf arf> and Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge<chirp chirp> and Enchanté <ruff ruff>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]