Thread: My dog stinks, now my house stinks...HELP!!

My dog stinks, now my house stinks...HELP!!

Ok, I just got a new Basset Hound two weeks ago. We love this baby to death. Well the only think I can not take is his smell. I know you aren't suppose to bathe him on a normal basis. So i have limited it to once a week. His smell wouldnt' be so bad, but it has my house smelling horrible!! I spray, and mop and clean daily but i still smell him. I am sure the fact that I am pregnant is making the smell worse, but I dont think I can go much longer with this. I dont want to keep bathing him b/c I dont want to dry out his skin. So what can I use to help the smell. Is there anything I can put on him, or what works around the house, so you dont smell that WET DOG smell when you walk in?

Help!! I really dont want to make Lucky and outside dog.

What are you currently feeding him? Often poor nutrition can cause a dog to stink. Otherwise things to look at are if he has any sort of skin condition since bassets have tons of folds of skin that can trap moisture and breed bacteria, he should be wiped down with a damp rag every day and towel dried to prevent bacteria overgrowth.

He is eating Nature's Recipe. Which I was told is one of the better brands of dog food. This is my first dog, and got him for my boys, but bottom line, he is MY DOG! I wiped him down today with just some water and a little bit of puppy skin conditioner. But i guess he already did his damage on the house for the day. Every where I go i smell him, and its getting kind of tough to bear. I even cleaned his ears thinking that may be the probelm. I guess I will see.

Thanks Mandy

It looks to be a fairly decent quality food. Sometimes dogs just stink! You can get them puppy perfume if you wish to, otherwise febreeze is your friend for de-stinking the house!

Is he losing hair or is he pink or scratchy anywhere? If not then he just might be stinky...

I dont notice any hair loss. he does scratch alot, but I thought that was from me bathing him to much (he doesnt' have fleas) I bathed him Monday, and then last Wednesday.

Hello and welcome to pet lovers! Congratulations on your new furbaby and impending new human baby.

Has Lucky been to the vet to rule out illness?

there probably are dog shampoos that you can use frequently. I know that right now due to a skin condition, i actually have to use a specific medicated shampoo 3x/week.

I think if you choose the right kind. something non-irritating like oatmeal, it could work to bathe him more frequently.
    Theresa and Gigi <woof woof> and Anisette<arf arf> and Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge<chirp chirp> and Enchant <ruff ruff>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Monitor him, don't bath him other than wiping him with the damp cloth and towel drying for a week or 2. See if he's still scratching alot. It may be a food allergy. does he lick his paws alot too?

Next time you're at the vet for vaccines, tell the vet about his odour (the dog, not the vet) and maybe ask if a skin scraping would be helpful to figuring it out

I just had an AHA! moment. Go to the health food store and get some Acidophilus or something similar, it just has to be a pro-biotic that is 1 billion micro organisms or more. Sprinkle about 1/4 of a teaspoon on to his food daily for about a week or 2 and see if it makes a difference. Doggie odours can come from bacteria overgrowth or the wrong bacteria growing in the digestive tract and the body ends up just smelling awful. Do not use the yogurt method as it could give him bad gas/bowel movements, and i wouldn't wish a basset fart on anyone!

dlaura is offline I must, I must, I must Supporting Member
    PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Welcome Lucky's Mom!

I am finding a lot of info in this thread that may be useful to me also. So thanks for starting this thread.

Mandy, our dog doesn't necessarily emit any odor but she does like to lick her paw a lot (at one point until she had an open sore) and she has come down with skin infection twice in last six months. Do you think what you recommended above would help with skin infections? Amber has been on antibiotic twice now and I would like to find a preventative or proactive measure I could be taking rather then antibiotics so much.
    ATTITUDE! Life is 10% what happens to one and 90% how one reacts to it!

Quote Originally Posted by dlaura View Post
    Welcome Lucky's Mom!

I am finding a lot of info in this thread that may be useful to me also. So thanks for starting this thread.

Mandy, our dog doesn't necessarily emit any odor but she does like to lick her paw a lot (at one point until she had an open sore) and she has come down with skin infection twice in last six months. Do you think what you recommended above would help with skin infections? Amber has been on antibiotic twice now and I would like to find a preventative or proactive measure I could be taking rather then antibiotics so much.
    Definitely get her on a pro-biotic if she's been on antibiotics because antibiotics kill all bacteria, not just the bad stuff. By killing all bacteria the antibiotics lower the immune system, so replenishing the good bacteria is essential after antibiotics have been taken.

Paw licking can be allergies, or sometimes it's just an OCD kind of thing. If she is on a chicken based food, maybe try her on a lamb instead to test if it's an allergy. That takes about 4-6 weeks to determine. If it's not an allergy, you just have to be persistent about making sure she doesn't lick.

tiffers is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    If you can find a 'soap free' shampoo, you can bathe him everyday. Make sure, make sure, MAKE SURE, it advertises being soap free. You can call up your vet and get a shampoo from them to be on the safe side.

However, if you're pregnant...I'm not sure bathing what will be a ginormous dog soon is a good idea. :P ...definitely agree with checking for food allergies, those dogs have the weirdest smell.

Also, what are his ears like? Like, deep down inside...bassets are prone to serious ear infections, and because the ears or so big and heavy...infection can be brewing in their and could be what you're smelling. When you bathe him, do you clean his ears?