Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat carries socks??

Question Cat carries socks??

My female cat (about 10 years old) has a habit of carrying socks at night. She brings them up to the livingroom from the basement, meowing the entire time (I must admit, it's hilarious to listen to). She also brings them into my room whenever I'm in it. When I had my old bedroom (which you had to go through the livingroom to get to), she'd even make a trail of socks to my room. (The room I'm in now is right next to the laundry room, so now she only has a few feet to travel.. and the laundry room is just an open space; no doors.)

She's been doing this her entire life; at first we thought she'd get over it, but obviously she hasn't. She's not causing any damage at all. We just think it's a bit odd, especially because she tends to only carry MY socks. Does anyone have an explanation for this?? We're very curious.

Perfectly "normal" cat behavior! I have one who does this with crumpled cigarette packs (I quit smoking 10nyears ago but she still has some!) she fishes them out of the toy box and carries them around making a dying goose sound. She also does this with a particular string (that came from one of my hooded sweatshirts)

She is 18 years old, so I don't think she's going to quit doing it any time soon!

oh, as for socks, as kid I had a cat who did the same thing, with my brother's socks. Only his. If he didn't keep his sock drawer open for her there was h*ll to pay!

As to why? Well, in the feline world it is not for us mere hoomins to ask why a cat does anything. Ours is to serve without question, don't you know.

Well it's nice to know that it's normal =P.. Originally we thought it might be a "nesting" type thing, since I am her favorite human =)

Now if you can only get her to carry the rest of the laundry and to get it into the washer...!

Aren't cats fun? There are as many different, goofy behaviors as there are cats. You've gotta love them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Max - resting in peace...click on his name to read his story...
    (All shelter adopted or saved from the streets )

I think they are considering whatever object they choose to be prey, if she were an outdoor cat you would probably be getting lovely little gifts of small dead things instead of a sock trail.

Pumpkin used to cry that same way when he was delivering a rat to my feet, and the kitty's who now carry toys, washrags and socks around the house hold their head up and high step the same way he did back then. He brought in a live rat once, which got free in the excitement, and ran up Liz' pants leg to hide.
    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

cat colony: Hunter S Tomcat, Archie and Mehitable, Witch, and Calamity Jane, Cuddlebug, Havana, Ghost, Spitfire Liz, Little Bit, Jesse, Moe, Cali, Stardust, Anastasia & Christy, Sally and the 5 boys

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

rip Tiger, Rabbit, Two Stars, Angel,Elaine, Mungo Jerry, Tex and Ijimus. I'll meet y'all at the bridge.

dlaura is offline I must, I must, I must Supporting Member
    PetLovers.Com Moderator
    I think they like to keep us guessing. They sure amusing companions!
    ATTITUDE! Life is 10% what happens to one and 90% how one reacts to it!

That must be so adorable to watch!
    Therese, Patch O' Pits Proud Mom

My cat Blossom does the same thing, but she only will carry clean, rolled up socks. Then she grooms them. We call them her "babies"!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My siamese Sake does the same thing with those little catnip mice. She thinks they're her babies, and she drops them in the water dish to have a drink (and of course, then, they disintigrate, and the water gets ickey). She just gets another out of the box!

Quote Originally Posted by siamese View Post
    My siamese Sake does the same thing with those little catnip mice. She thinks they're her babies, and she drops them in the water dish to have a drink (and of course, then, they disintigrate, and the water gets ickey). She just gets another out of the box!
    Awwww.....what a cute story. I guess you keep a large supply of those mousies for her?

My Sissy (rb 12/97) did something similar. At the time I lived in a big old barn that I was converting into a house. there was a cat door between the living space and the non living space and she liked to mouse about in the barn part. Alway brought the mice in after kiling them and ut them in the water bowl. I never knew why and didn't dare ask her <ggg>

Quote Originally Posted by siamese View Post
    My Mandarin does the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat." Douglas Adams

"Some people don't understand cat love." -- Ka-mai

Sara: "Well not everyone's as weird about the way they love animals as you are."
    Me: "I don't know how to love any other way!"
    Sara: "And that's what makes you so darn ADORABLE!"

hah lexi does this with headbands. And hair ties. And my iPod headphones (with the iPod still attached!)
    Just call me Melanie (:

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Hey, being a cat is hard! You not only have to be cute and furry 24/7 but you have to keep yourself entertained. My cat does this with bits of cardboard. He LOVES cardboard. I recently bought a firepit and I've kept the box to hack off new cardboard peices after he either loses or destroys them. I've woken up to carboard peices scattered all over my face and body, hehe.

I have pictures on myspace of a trail that Callie created in less than an hour. A whole trail from my bedroom to the office. She also drags my (dirty) clothes all over the house if I forget to shut my closet door and gets into the hamper. LOL
    My Babies:
    Callie, (9 yrs old) cat;
    ZsaZsa (AKA Demon): (20 months old) cat;
    Alley (AKA Alley-girl, Clutz): (20 months old) cat;
    Mia: (9 yrs old) 1/2 beagle/ 1/2 mutt doggie

Chunk (August 20, 2007 - April 1, 2009 RIP)

A lot of Foster Babies along the way - kittens, birds, puppies & lizards - oh, my!

me and my husband are caffeine junkies, our favorite cola is Jolt Cola, the battery cans come with a plastic seal, one of our cats will dig those out of the trashcans and carry them around the house.

She's also taken up the habit of carrying her toys in our bed, which has led to quite a few laughs. Her favorite ones to carry are the little plastic balls with a bell inside, the ones with little spikes on the sides, my husband's had a few mmm how can I say "uncomfortable" nights sleeping on one of them.