Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lysine for herpes treatment in cats

Lysine for herpes treatment in cats

Has anyone had any experence in using Lysine for herpes treatment in cats? I have a 14 week old kitten that has Chronic Herpes Conjunctivitis in his eye. After 12 weeks of "nursing" and caring for this sick kitty, I have FINALLY gotten him healthy, eating, and using the litterbox - but the only health problem that lingers is this eye problem. I have read an article on the internet from www.littlebigcat.com where they recommend daily dosage of 500 mg of Lysine twice a day for 5 days and then 250 mg per day indefinitely after that. Any one advice that any one has had with Lysine or any other treatments for this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Deb

I've always had cats and never had this problem so I'm sorry I can't give you any advise. Hopefully, someone here on the board will be able to help you. Have you consulted with your vet to see what his/her opinion is on using Lysine? Anyway, good luck and I'm glad to hear that your little kitten is healthy once again.
    Animals are such agreeable friends -- they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.

"The question is not, Can they reason? nor Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?" (Jeremy Bentham)

http://community.webshots.com/user/eeveep

catman1 Guest
    Lysine for herpes treatment in cats
    You mean i got to get condoms for Babba.This is the first time i heard of this.Our prayers will be with you to get this cured.I wish we could be more help.

Lysine

Hi Everyone I'm new to the site but had to answer this one. I volunteer for the shelter in my home town. I bring young kittens home and care for them until they are old enough to go to homes. The shelter gives me lysine for the kittens I care for if they have Upper respiratory symptoms. The first time I use it on the kittens it is like a miracle cure. They clear up and do great within just a day or two!! If they don't continue on the lysine daily and they get the sypmtoms again down the road, they don't respond as quickly to it. But so far I'm very happy with the lysine! I recommend it highly. The shelter is happy with the results they've been seeing as well.

I frequently use lysine supplementation to control both the occular and upper respiratory forms of herpesvirus in cats. The dose that I use is 500 mg orally once daily. IF you have trouble giving the pill form, there is a palltable gel available that you can get through your vet. Good luck! rw
    Roger L. Welton, DVM
    Founder, Web-DVM.net
    Host, The Web-DVM TV & Blog

ok how does a cat get herpes???

Lysine seems to work

I have an 8 month old cat and we got him about a month 1/2 ago - when we adopted him he had a bad left eye - the vets didn't know if it was a birth defect or from an accident - but the eye drais alot - a reddish brown color and you can see that his inner eye lids are scarred - and he has hazing. When we first got him it looked ok despite the defect - but it gradually got worse and was very swollen all the time and he would close it constantly and always try to rub it w/ his paws...we took hiim back to the vet and they said to try Lysine to see if it would help - and it has been great. Although the eye will always drain funny because of the damage - our cat's eye is never swollen and we haven't noticed him being irritated for the last 3 weeks - and his eye looks almost normal, so in my opinion it works...and our cat also seems to like the taste of Lysine as well so it's easy to give to him.

Cats and herpes

Cat "flu" is really a strain of either herpes or another virus. Symptoms include sniffling, sneezing, fever, and sometimes conjunctivitis. They get it from other cats sneezing or coughing on them, and it can even stick to our clothes or their bowls, etc. Its extremely contagious. The virus will always be with them and can come back during times of extreme stress, or when they come into contact with it again. My cat just caught it at the vet while boarding there for another problem. So far the Lysine is working great. She also gave an antibiotic to prevent any secondary infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahbh View Post
    Cat "flu" is really a strain of either herpes or another virus. Symptoms include sniffling, sneezing, fever, and sometimes conjunctivitis. They get it from other cats sneezing or coughing on them, and it can even stick to our clothes or their bowls, etc. Its extremely contagious. The virus will always be with them and can come back during times of extreme stress, or when they come into contact with it again. My cat just caught it at the vet while boarding there for another problem. So far the Lysine is working great. She also gave an antibiotic to prevent any secondary infection.
    Welcome to Petlovers. Thanks for reviving this thread.

L-lysine is the supplement used to control the herpes viral infection in cats. There is no cure for it, but it can be managed. My cat has been taking l-lysine, 500 mg a day, for over 6 years. The occasional flare up (usually seasonal or stress related for him) used to require oral antibiotic, as it would go into secondary infection, but the outbreaks correct on their own now, he never has a full blown flare up any more.

Since all my cats have been vaccinated with the RCCP, non of them have ever contracted the virus from him, even during his worst outbreaks.

Incidentally, in the past year or so I have started dosing him every other day instead of every day,only increasing it to every day again, if he shows signs of an outbreak.

When he initially started the supplement, the improvement was very dramatic, his eyes were such a goopy mess, they were clear and dry in three days, it was like a miracle!

My 3 year old cat has had herpes for two years (my fault, I adopted a kitten from a shelter, who transmitted the virus to his new sister -- moral: isolate your new kitten for a week or so!). She doesn't have outbreaks; she just has a constant, weepy right eye. The lysine has done no good at all.
    My advice -- Give it a few months with the lysine. If you see no change, stop spending the money. Just keep the cat happy and comfortable -- no stress. She winks, but she's a very happy cat. (the "palatable" lysine goo was not. She had a fit. Putting powder lysine on her food worked much better.)
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by toucan View Post
    My 3 year old cat has had herpes for two years (my fault, I adopted a kitten from a shelter, who transmitted the virus to his new sister -- moral: isolate your new kitten for a week or so!). She doesn't have outbreaks; she just has a constant, weepy right eye. The lysine has done no good at all.
    My advice -- Give it a few months with the lysine. If you see no change, stop spending the money. Just keep the cat happy and comfortable -- no stress. She winks, but she's a very happy cat. (the "palatable" lysine goo was not. She had a fit. Putting powder lysine on her food worked much better.)
    Good luck.
    Welcome to petlovers! I hope you will tell us more about your two cats.

Has either cat been tested for the herpes virus? There are other chronic eye problems cats can have, if it is not herpes the l-lysine will not have any effect. Herpes eyes usually respond to l-lysine supplement fairly quickly, two weeks tops, and usually faster than that, though it is important that the cat receive the full 500 mg daily and consistently.

None of my other cats have ever caught the herpes virus from my one cat who has it, even before he was properly diagnosed and was shedding virus all over the place.

Hurray for you for adopting out of a shelter!

I have a cat that has feline herpes. She gets an irritated eye on rare occasions -- conjunctivitis, and sometimes a small "indolent" ulcer on her cornea. We notice this when she begins squinting or the eye seems runny. Our vet told us to use an antibiotic drop (ofloxacin) an anesthetic drop (nalbuphine -- for discomfort) and an antiviral drop (idoxuridine). She did not respond well to the idoxuridine, so we took her off that. But she does respond well to the other regimen and her eye clears up in a few weeks.

--IN ADDITION, to the medicine, the vet recommended giving the cat 400-500 milligrams of Lysine, twice per day. (to help disrupt the virus)

SO, I go to Target and buy the regular L-Lysine tablets, either 500 or 1000 mg., which are huge -- so I grind/smash them with a hammer in a thick plastic baggie. (to pulverize them) A mortar and pestle would work too...

I found that 500 milligrams is almost exactly 1/4 tsp... (one-forth of a teaspoon.)

I then sprinkle the 1/4 tsp of lysine powder over some nice wet cat food * and mix/mash it up well. I feed her once in the morning and once again in the evening. I get the best results with cat tuna, as it disappears well and is absorbed to the point of being barely perceptible.

Sometimes I smash a bunch in advance to save time later, then use a measuring teaspoon when I need it.

I give the cat about three teaspoons of tuna at each feeding. (twice per day -- your cat may vary...)

* My cats like 9-Lives "Tuna Select, flakes of tuna & egg" the best...

Quote Originally Posted by some-advice View Post
    I have a cat that has feline herpes. She gets an irritated eye on rare occasions -- conjunctivitis, and sometimes a small "indolent" ulcer on her cornea. We notice this when she begins squinting or the eye seems runny. Our vet told us to use an antibiotic drop (ofloxacin) an anesthetic drop (nalbuphine -- for discomfort) and an antiviral drop (idoxuridine). She did not respond well to the idoxuridine, so we took her off that. But she does respond well to the other regimen and her eye clears up in a few weeks.

--IN ADDITION, to the medicine, the vet recommended giving the cat 400-500 milligrams of Lysine, twice per day. (to help disrupt the virus)

SO, I go to Target and buy the regular L-Lysine tablets, either 500 or 1000 mg., which are huge -- so I grind/smash them with a hammer in a thick plastic baggie. (to pulverize them) A mortar and pestle would work too...

I found that 500 milligrams is almost exactly 1/4 tsp... (one-forth of a teaspoon.)

I then sprinkle the 1/4 tsp of lysine powder over some nice wet cat food * and mix/mash it up well. I feed her once in the morning and once again in the evening. I get the best results with cat tuna, as it disappears well and is absorbed to the point of being barely perceptible.

Sometimes I smash a bunch in advance to save time later, then use a measuring teaspoon when I need it.

I give the cat about three teaspoons of tuna at each feeding. (twice per day -- your cat may vary...)

* My cats like 9-Lives "Tuna Select, flakes of tuna & egg" the best...
    Hello and welcome to Petlovers! thank you very much for this useful informative post on how you manage the l-lysine supplement for your cat. You're lucky your cat will eat the food with the l-lysine added. What's her name?

My cat has been taking 500 mg l-lysine for 6 1/2 years now. He almost never has herpes outbreaks anymore, and never gets secondary infections that require antibiotics at all anymore. About a year ago I dropped his dose to 500 mg every other day. If he shows signs of an imminent outbreak (eye starts shedding those tell tale little square specks) I increase the does back to the 500 daily for a week or two.

Please stick around and feel free to start your own threads telling us about your kitty cat!

Exclamation Note

NOTE: the above wet food-medicine mixing method also works well for other types of medicines, especially those which are normally difficult to administer.

Some vets say “dry-pilling” (forcing a pill into a pet’s throat, with or without food) can be dangerous – and extremely unpleasant for the animal. Many oral liquid medicines can also taste extremely horrible. --Try this instead. Pills can be crushed, and capsules can be opened/emptied into the wet food and mixed well. --the same for liquids.

Check with your vet first though...

I found that they don't like regular wet foods (non-tuna, pate-types) with the lysine as much. I think the dense, flaky, juicy consistency of tuna absorbs the medicine or lysene powder best, and they don't mind as much. Piti gets fussy sometimes. But usually eats after some persuasion. They can't resist tuna though. Even if it is mixed with medicine.