Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 14 day antibiotic shot Convenia

14 day antibiotic shot Convenia

Has anyone had this shot for your cat? Was there any bad side affects? The Vet wants my cat to have a shot for Bladder infection and I hesitate to do so.

tiffers is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Convenia is awesome. We use it for TONS of things. It's so easy, more expensive, but does save you the trouble of fighting with your cat to give it a pill.

Thanks..No bad side affects?? Jesse is 15 year old Maine Coon. Thin and a bit fragile. I "rescued him" three months ago. I do not know if he has drug allergies

Hi Nancy and welcome. Thank you for rescuing an elderly cat!

Has your vet explained to you why she wants to use the shot rather than an oral antibiotic? Has Jesse had blood work done to determine the health of his organs and such?

I asked my vet about Covenia a while ago. Her opinion is that it is an excellent treatment but she prefers oral antibiotics if possible because she likes to limit how many injections she gives cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy123 View Post
    I do not know if he has drug allergies
    Convenia, I believe, is a similar drug to Penicillin. Do you know if he's ever been given a PPG injection with any surgeries he may have had with the rescue?

Convenia is actually less likely to have side effects than oral antibiotics because it is easier on the stomach. Since it is not given orally it doesn't cause the normal stomach irritation. I have used it a few times and have since no major side effects. It also decreases the stress because you don't have to chase him around to give the medication twice a day.
    Lena McCullough, DVM
    www.pathwithpaws.com

but doesn't covenia contain an adjuvant?

(fortunately I have not yet met a cat I can't pill so that is not an issue! lucky me, eh?<ggg>)

No adjuvant, it's just an antibiotic with a long half life. Adjuvants are used to create a longer and more pronounced immune response to a vaccine. You would not use one with an antibiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by lenamegan View Post
    No adjuvant, it's just an antibiotic with a long half life. Adjuvants are used to create a longer and more pronounced immune response to a vaccine. You would not use one with an antibiotic.
    That's very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

Smile Convenia for cats

I aquired an 18 year old recently abandoned cat who is in is great shape for her age (no visible problems whatsoever).
    A week ago she started sneezing and it progressively got worse until she became listless and started discharging large amounts of mucus....since I had never owned a cat AT FIRST A WEEK AGO I thought the sneezing was maybe a reaction or just a minor problem....until 2 days ago when she was in REAL BAD SHAPE...I took her to the vet and they offered Convenia ....(what he called a slightly more expensive drug but but would be more convenient than pills and would work faster and better).NO LIE ....2 days later and she appears perfectly healthy with no side affects and is roaming around the house again !!!! THIS STUFF IS A WONDER DRUG !!!!! For the $54.00 injection I consider it a bargain because of it's FAST reaction and no maintainence on my part. Even on older cats (18 yrs.old) it apparently is safe and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by olcat18 View Post
    I aquired an 18 year old recently abandoned cat who is in is great shape for her age (no visible problems whatsoever).
    A week ago she started sneezing and it progressively got worse until she became listless and started discharging large amounts of mucus....since I had never owned a cat AT FIRST A WEEK AGO I thought the sneezing was maybe a reaction or just a minor problem....until 2 days ago when she was in REAL BAD SHAPE...I took her to the vet and they offered Convenia ....(what he called a slightly more expensive drug but but would be more convenient than pills and would work faster and better).NO LIE ....2 days later and she appears perfectly healthy with no side affects and is roaming around the house again !!!! THIS STUFF IS A WONDER DRUG !!!!! For the $54.00 injection I consider it a bargain because of it's FAST reaction and no maintainence on my part. Even on older cats (18 yrs.old) it apparently is safe and effective.
    Hello and welcome to petlovers, and thank you very much for sharing your experience with covenia.

Also Thank you for rescuing this cat and giving her a forever home to spend her senior years in comfort and love.

Hurray for you!

Covenia has undisclosed side effects...!!!

My Persian, Gracie, was given Covenia, as an alternative to daily pills, for a skin infection. Following the injection, she lost all motor skills, her appetite, her hair,and I have had to force feed her for the last two weeks. She was in good health, otherwise, and had blood tests to substantiate this. Pfizer, who also distributes the vaccines that have been linked to a substantiated rise in autism, is the pharmaceutical company that produces this drug. My veternarian has vowed never to use this product again, seeing what has happened to Gracie. She has, also, developed incontinence, as a result. Tomorrow, Gracie is going to the vet to see what we can do to stimulate her appetite. She is beginning to walk again, as the drug dissipates in her system, but still seems out of it, often standing in front of the water bowl and just staring into it. You would never believe, seeing a prior photo of her, that she is the same cat. WARNING...be it Covenia or any other injected antibiotic...once in the system, it can not be removed. A pill is the safer method, as it can be stopped should any adverse effect show themselves at an early, or any other stage, in the treatment. My vet has notified Pfizer, and further research indicates that some cats given Covenia have had seizures. This is, certainly, no wonder drug!

I have only had one experience with Covenia and it worked wonderful. The cat had an awful URI, so much snot draining down from his head that I couldn't have pilled him if I wanted to. It worked great but I did notice greatly increased lethargy for about 24 hours after the injection. In his case the side effect was worth the treatment.
    The Kitties: Tia, Buttons, Tigger, Uber, Isys, Voodoo, Midi, Xaria & Tig Tig.

The Dog: Kaylee

The Ratties: Emma, Pixie, Elle & Nym

Waiting for me on the other side: Blue, Lexi, Pumpkin, Alice, Bob, Archemedes and Harry You're greatly missed but never forgotten.

We use Convenia DAILY...on two to three patients DAILY. We've never had an issue, it's an amazing drug and works beautifully. We have not found a single problem with it.

Now it's possible that your persian is allergic to penicillin, and have been given a drug similar to penicillin can cause the reaction you are seeing. I'm sorry that this happened to your kitty.

My cat is going through the same issues right now with convenia: refusing food and water, dead-pan eyes, terrible side effects!