Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lab/Poodle mix or Portuguese Water Dog!

Lab/Poodle mix or Portuguese Water Dog!

Just watchin the news show on ABC this morning and Obama was on and they asked him the question of what dog they're gonna get. He said the girls have narrowed it down to a Labradoodle or a Portuguese water dog an they're looking at rescuing. I hope he doesn't get a Labradoodle, the last thing we need is designer breeds getting the ultimate surge in popularity!

I, very respectively disagree here. It all comes down to what you are looking for and if the looks/personality etc... all meet their list of their "ideal" dog then that is what I think they should do.
    I would love to see them rescue. It will be interesting as to what they settle on
    ~*~In Loving Memory To My Mom ~*~ 1931-1993
    Some say love, it is a hunger: an endless aching need......
    I say love it is a flower and you it's only seed.
    Just remember in the winter, far beneath the bitter snows...
    lies the seed that with the suns love.....

~*in the spring.......becomes the Rose*~

Quote Originally Posted by krazy4birds View Post
    I, very respectively disagree here. It all comes down to what you are looking for and if the looks/personality etc... all meet their list of their "ideal" dog then that is what I think they should do.
    I would love to see them rescue. It will be interesting as to what they settle on
    Both dogs look similar and both dogs are hypoallergenic, both dogs have retriever instinct in them. Let a portuguese water dog grow out and it looks just like a labradoodle. No matter what dog he gets it, people are going to go "oh my god i want the same dog as the president!" might as well use that to the advantage of helping to stop these designer dogs from gaining any more popularity.

One thing is true.....whatever they choose will be a popular dog. Do you remember the last 5 Presidents breed of dog? Without looking them up I don't..

A Labradoodle, would actually probably fit in better, sorry to say. I think the Portuguese Water dogs are still not too watered down, meaning they'll want a job of some sort. They can be very high energy.

A designer dog, has been bred for nothing but looks, and a sweet temperament.

Designer dogs are here to stay, whether we like it or not.
    Where fur and feather meet.....

My Beloved Parrots

My German Shepherd Dogs

The Cat!

I know the last 2 breeds of choice cause i've only been alive for the last 2 or so presidents. George W. Bush had a Scottie and Clinton had Chocolate Labs.

My point here was does the Presidents dog influence what the public wants????? So, since it was 8 years for Bush and ..............oh the heck with it............In the sticks where I live they do good to know who is President let alone the pets.
    Bet they have those fancy "pot passers" like on Beverly Hillbillys did though. LMBO

Although I am not a fan of the "designer dog" I have to agree with Becky.
    I have trained many PWD's and Lab/poodle mixes and the PWD's tend to be very, very high energy. Although, as president Obama would have all the resources he needs to keep the dog trained and cared for.
    Another point that needs to be made is that not all Lab/poodle mixes get the poodles coat.
    "The only thing two trainers agree on is that the third is wrong." I don't remember who said it but I love it.

Taco - 9 year old Timneh grey
    Violet CDX RE CGC - 7 year old APBT
    Charlie RN CGC - 3 year old pointer mix
    Wortham- 2 year old White Front Amazon

Just because a dog happens to be a lab/poodle mix (labradoodle), it doesn't mean it was intentionally bred. If it's in a shelter, it probably definitely means it wasn't intentionally bred (unless someone dumped it at the shelter once they decided they didn't want it). I think it's fine if they're rescuing a labradoodle. At least they aren't buying one. For all we know, the dog they adopt came to be for the same reason many mixed breeds are in the shelter. I had a "labradoodle" before they were even popular or had an official name. We just called him a mutt!

Well, let us hope that what most people will note is that the dog will be RESCUED.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Max - resting in peace...click on his name to read his story...
    (All shelter adopted or saved from the streets )

You know, maybe growing up dealing with not being able to afford the "popular" items did do me some good after all. If someone actually goes out and buys a breed of dog because thats what the "President" did, thats pretty shallow. Owning the same type dog, car, whatever, isnt going to bring you not even one inch closer to being the president.

Silly humans!!

I don't consider the mixes designer dogs at all. I think of them as good ol' mutts. Expensive mutts but mutts all the same. If that is what somebody wants that is just as valid as my wanting a particular breed or somebody only wanting a rescue dog. To each their own.
    Theresa and Gigi <woof woof> and Anisette<arf arf> and Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge<chirp chirp> and Enchanté <ruff ruff>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If he's rescuing the dog then who cares what it is? A Labradoodle in a shelter needs a home just as much as a PWD does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by katiem View Post
    If he's rescuing the dog then who cares what it is? A Labradoodle in a shelter needs a home just as much as a PWD does.
    Exactly my point!

There will also I think, be many more Labradoodles in he shelters than Portuguese Water Dogs. I also doubt the president will start a breed craze. The movies are the main culprits for that, showing to the public, well trained super dogs, that are not the norm.
    Where fur and feather meet.....

My Beloved Parrots

My German Shepherd Dogs

The Cat!