Thread: HELP! dog drank 2000 flushes from toilet

Unhappy HELP! dog drank 2000 flushes from toilet

my dog drank from the toilet which just happened to have 2000 flushes in it. I am not sure how much he drank I am assuming it couldn't have been much since I busted him in the middle of it. he dry heaved once like 20 min after and since then has been ok he will eat and drink water no problem. should I just continue to keep an eye on it or should I rush him into the vet?

If he's dry heaving I would at least reach an on call or emergency vet to ask what they think. I've heard that some bowl cleaners can be toxic. Here is a number I was given here last week when my dog got hold of a roach bait, it's Animal Poison Control. 1 888 426 4435. Please let us know what they say and how he does, and I hope he's OK.
    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

cat colony: Hunter S Tomcat, Archie and Mehitable, Witch, and Calamity Jane, Cuddlebug, Havana, Ghost, Spitfire Liz, Little Bit, Jesse, Moe, Cali, Stardust, Anastasia & Christy, Sally and the 5 boys

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

rip Tiger, Rabbit, Two Stars, Angel,Elaine, Mungo Jerry, Tex and Ijimus. I'll meet y'all at the bridge.

thank you I contacted poison control last week because he did this last week as well but he didn't have any dry heaving and he was fine. poison control told me that the toilet bowl cleaner is fairly diluted by the water also we did the right thing by giving him fresh water right away she told me to monitor it and if he won't eat or drink or starts throwing up to take him into the vet. well he only dry heaved once nothing even came out and it was right after he ate his appetite is fine but I am a little concerned I am no sure how long I am supposed to monitor him for. should I wait and see how he is in the morning. he is sleepy now but this is also the normal time for him to be sleepy. he hasn't shown me any other symptoms just the one quick dry heave he did drink a ton of water after wards though. how do i get rid of this stuff in my toilet? I want it gone so this doesn't happen again

If it's a thingie you drop in the tank I guess you could reach in and pull it out, if it's a more complicated mechanism than I guess just lots and lots of flushs? I always try to keep my lid down, but when the grandkids come over one will always leave it up.

I think I'd call the on call vet to see how long to monitor him, I'd probably want to keep a fairly close watch on him for about 24 hours.
    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

cat colony: Hunter S Tomcat, Archie and Mehitable, Witch, and Calamity Jane, Cuddlebug, Havana, Ghost, Spitfire Liz, Little Bit, Jesse, Moe, Cali, Stardust, Anastasia & Christy, Sally and the 5 boys

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

rip Tiger, Rabbit, Two Stars, Angel,Elaine, Mungo Jerry, Tex and Ijimus. I'll meet y'all at the bridge.

dlaura is offline I must, I must, I must Supporting Member
    PetLovers.Com Moderator
    No, waiting to see the vet may be too late. About 25 years ago we dog sat for a friend's dog and didn't realize it was a toilet bowl drinker. It got sick from drinking from a toilet we had a cleaner in and they had a med to give it to counteract the effects the dog suffered from the poisonous cleaner. Please don't take the chance and wait and see - you may be sorry if you do.
    ATTITUDE! Life is 10% what happens to one and 90% how one reacts to it!

I did phone the vet and they told me to call poison control so thats what I did and poison control said to just monitor him that the toilet bowl cleaner was fairly diluted and he should be fine they said if he stops eating or becomes lathargic or can`t stop throwing up then he needs tog to the vet. other wise they said its a waste of money tot ake hi to the vet they won`t do anything until he shows symptoms. but thank you everyone for your input LOL I`m just going to massively flush the toilet until this stuff is gone.

Glad to hear he is still showing no bad signs. I disagree with that poison control person on one thing. You may have decided your dog is okay, and that's great, but taking a pet to the vet is never a waste of money, in my opinion.

I agree...Peanut had a problem where he was biting where his tail connected to his back. We looked at it one day and it was all red so we took his to the emergency vet, even the lady at the desk said that it was a waste of time. After 230 dollars we found out he had an infection ...see that's the hard thing about pets. They can't really tell you how they feel or what's wrong. Peanut's scar is still healing after two months...so yes I agree with special...it's never a waste of money.

While the emergency vet did tell me that they couldn't treat my dog unless he showed symptoms, I'm thinking that as your dog has been exposed repeatedly to the bowl cleaner that blood work to ensure there was no organ damage due to build up of toxins would not be a waste of money. Some things pass through the body and are gone, others cling to certain organs and cells and cause problems in the future. My gosh, even as innocent as Tylenol is too much can damage your liver!
    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by heatherf82 View Post
    how do i get rid of this stuff in my toilet? I want it gone so this doesn't happen again
    My dogs will toilet slurp if given the chance. You have to keep the lid down and the door closed. Especially since you know he does it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The web site for the company that makes 2000 Flushes has contradictory information. In one place it says that it will not harm children or pets (but not to let pets drink from toilets). In the paragraph above that it says to seek emergency treatment for accidental ingestion. Go figure. They've covered their ...

I think that diluted it's probably pretty benign if only a small amount was ingested, but the ingestion of part of the concentrated tablet is probably pretty damaging (it contains bleach)
    I don't use those types of cleaners anymore. One, so that no animal in the house drinks any and two, so that in an emergency I could use my tank water safely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Max - resting in peace...click on his name to read his story...
    (All shelter adopted or saved from the streets )

Quote Originally Posted by Julia423 View Post
    two, so that in an emergency I could use my tank water safely.
    Smart! Sorry 2000 Flushes, you just lost a customer!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]