Thread: My puppy is a Cockamo...

My puppy is a Cockamo...

...has anyone heard of this mix? - Cocker Spaniel x American Eskimo dog?
    She's really cute - black with white belly, white & black speckled legs. She looks more spaniel. She weighs about 21 lbs and the vet said she is probably fully grown.
    I was just wondering if the breeder made this name up?
    June

I just heard it on my mom talking with her friends here last week I think. Can you share some piccies of your baby?
    [CENTER]"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! "
    - Unknown

tiffers is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by June1525 View Post
    Definitely. It's yet another Designer Dog.

Every dog that is a mix now is getting a made up name. There are over 400 dog breeds, but before about 10 years ago, there was no Labradoodle, Cockapoo, Havapoo, etc.

People just make up names now so they sound cute and help the animal sell. Bottom line. Your dog is a mutt. There's nothing wrong with that. I bet she's pretty cute.
    Krystal

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, I'm afraid that name is most definitely made up. What you have is your garden variety mutt. They're personally my favorite. I'd love to see some pictures of your new dog, she sounds like a cutie.

I'd stay away from breeders selling these 'breeds' in the future though. If you're going to get a mutt, you might as well get one from a local shelter. You'll be helping out a pup in need and won't be supporting a backyard breeder.
    Emily
    Between the idea and the reality, between the motion and the act, falls the shadow. - T.S. Eliot, The Hollow Men

I bet she's really pretty! That's an interesting mix too, but the name made me laugh! Definitely something the "breeder" made p to sell cute puppies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, its common for them to join the two breed names to make a nice creative description for the dog. I had a Cockapoo back in the days, he was the sweetest dog I ever owned and lived to be 17 years old.
    All animals, except man, know that the principal business of life is to enjoy it -- and they do enjoy it as much as man and other circumstances will allow. -Samuel Butler

Mohawk, Catalina and Tuco - My dogs
    Pet Meds - My pet medication website

I havent seen one... Anyone got a picture of this breed???
    It's a dog eat dog world, Woody, and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by June1525 View Post
    ...has anyone heard of this mix? - Cocker Spaniel x American Eskimo dog?
    She's really cute - black with white belly, white & black speckled legs. She looks more spaniel. She weighs about 21 lbs and the vet said she is probably fully grown.
    June
    Your dog seems very interesting can you share some photos of her...
    Dog Bath Tubs || Pet Furniture || Pet Fence || Pet Playpen || Pet Product || Dog Crates

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."

People are making all kinds of designer made up breeds now a days.
    It is strange to me that mixed breed dogs that were and still are often labeled as mutts or mixes in the shelters, are now sold for hundreds even sometimes thousands of dollars...
    No offense intended just making an observation about the designer dog trend.

I'm sure she is a very cute pup. Best of luck with her. Post some picts!
    Therese, Patch O' Pits Proud Mom

mine too

I have a cock-a-mo too. They are amazing dogs but they can have the bark of a american eskimo but you get used to it. They are amazingly protective and very attached once they know who is their mom or dad. They will NEVER stop loving you. Mine is my baby he cries when I leave and is excited EVERY single time I walk in the door. I could be gone for two seconds taking out the trash and he acts like I was gone a year. It is adorable and I couldn't ask for a better dog. He's perfect and SUPER cute. He has straight hair and when he gets out of the bath it looks crimped like a cocker spaniel. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine because I definately want another. They're amazing. I've never had a mutt that was so smart. OH they are VERY stubborn but smart. It takes a lot to get their attention. Hope it helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtnie View Post
    I have a cock-a-mo too. They are amazing dogs but they can have the bark of a american eskimo but you get used to it. They are amazingly protective and very attached once they know who is their mom or dad. They will NEVER stop loving you. Mine is my baby he cries when I leave and is excited EVERY single time I walk in the door. I could be gone for two seconds taking out the trash and he acts like I was gone a year. It is adorable and I couldn't ask for a better dog. He's perfect and SUPER cute. He has straight hair and when he gets out of the bath it looks crimped like a cocker spaniel. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine because I definately want another. They're amazing. I've never had a mutt that was so smart. OH they are VERY stubborn but smart. It takes a lot to get their attention. Hope it helped.
    Just a note, because this isn't a breed, but a random mix of two breeds, these characteristics are going to vary highly from animal to animals. Any mix can have any combination of traits from their mother and father.
    You can think that I'm wrong, but don't stop thinking.
    - House

I have a cockamo!!

I have a wonderful cockamo puppy too!! She has to be the best thing that has ever happened in my life. We got her when she was 9 weeks old and she was born from a litter of six (seven originally, but one did not make it). Her bark is defiantly american eskimo, but the rest of her personality is cocker spaniel. We love her to pieces!!!

Wow they are coming up with so many different kinds of cross breeds. Do you have pics you can share? I have never seen this breed before.

Random, I know but, if groups of dogs are left to breed amongst themselves, after a while they revert back to a generic wild-dog look. I find that interesting. Nature has more sense than we do, designing the breed that's best for the dogs.
    Last edited by Wiztherewoz; 10-17-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Heather.