Thread: Do Beagles like to swim?

Do Beagles like to swim?

I have a Beagle and he is my lil buddy but I was just wondering since summer is here do Beagles like to swim? Can they swim well?

Some conclude that since a beagle is a hunting dog, maybe the answer can be yes. Anyway, a doggie vest is a good idea in case the little guys gets tired out...

Other said Beagle hate the water, but if you introduce them to water when they are puppies they might get used to it.

For me all dogs can swim but some just don't like to...
    Dog Bath Tubs || Pet Furniture || Pet Fence || Pet Playpen || Pet Product || Dog Crates

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."

I suspect that when you take your lil buddy to a lake, river, etc, you'll know quick. My lil beagle buddy hated the water. Didn't even like getting her paws wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumble69
    I suspect that when you take your lil buddy to a lake, river, etc, you'll know quick. My lil beagle buddy hated the water. Didn't even like getting her paws wet.
    When it comes to water he doesnt choose to be in it. I bath him every two weeks cause he gets stinky otherwise( he plays a lot with my sisters dog so much that they are soaked in each others slobber after a session of play)

He isnt scared but doesnt look happy until I start massaging him when he is shampooed up, after the bath though he goes nuts rolling around all over his big dog pillow he goes crazy and runs around the house then back to his pillow and does the head on the ground hind legs up wheelbarrow roll, its really funny but he is super happy after a bath so he may like swimming.
    I guess I will have to see.

HAHA.. i just thought this was funny because we took out beagle to a small little creek that had a PERFECT place for him to learn to swim.. to make a long story short, i walked in with him in my arms, and just let him go (the water was NOT over his head and he could walk) but he decided to BOUND out of the water and up the hill into the woods.. NOW he will not walk over a 2 inch deep stream that flows over rocks.. hes scared of running water on the ground.. even the HOSE TRICKLING DOWN THE DRIVEWAY..

and then i was told by MULTIPLE PEOPLE that beagles do not swim.. there are exceptions to all rules though.. just go slow if youw ant to try. walk in with him in arms and NEVER put him in over his head, let HIM go and swim over his head.
    Help Cappy with this photo contest~! he's too cute to pass up!!
    CLICK HERE TO SEE
    Lindsay
    The Kitties (total 6!) :
    Tweek Chili Cat Fuffuffooey Squirt
    Tara(bibble)
    Mr. Mojo

The pooch:
    Cappy

Artistic Pet Photography By Matty B (my husband)
    bscphoto.com

They can swim, introduce water nicely. Like when playing fetch, you can slowly try little by little on not so deep water. They might get tired out so a life jacket or a life vest will be a good idea for him.
    [CENTER]"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! "
    - Unknown

I have two Beagle Mixes. The Beagle/Basset mix hates the water, she will not even get her feet wet. The Beagle/Shepherd mix loves it and will swim whenever he can.

Just a note, if you Beagle does take to the water make sure to thoroughly dry out his ears afterwards. Lots of Beagles are prone to ear infections.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

oh yea.. i TOTALLY agree. one little drop of water can really cause a NASTY infection. They sell a powder that groomers use and you put it in a wipe it out and it gets out ALL the moisture.
    Help Cappy with this photo contest~! he's too cute to pass up!!
    CLICK HERE TO SEE
    Lindsay
    The Kitties (total 6!) :
    Tweek Chili Cat Fuffuffooey Squirt
    Tara(bibble)
    Mr. Mojo

The pooch:
    Cappy

Artistic Pet Photography By Matty B (my husband)
    bscphoto.com

Yes, beagles love water too. But there are other dog breeds that like water even more like retrievers and spaniels!
    "The reason a dog has so many friends is
    that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."

dog crates | dog training crates | dog playpens
    dog exercise pens | dog kennels | pooper scooper

my daisy was a beagle and loved the water. we used to take her out on the boat with us and she would jump into the water after me and my sister. but once we got home we always had to make sure to clean her ears really well bacause if not she would get really nasty infections.

My beagle Shiloh used to enjoy swimming a little for a short time, I just let him walk into the water when he wanted, one time I kind of carried him in and hed on to him, then gradually let go and he swam. So it depends on the dog not necessarily the breed.
    Missing being a pet parent, but will be again some day when the situation allows it...Rest in Peace Willow my aussie girl-sept.19 2010, sweet Satin bunny Oct 1999-Jan 10 2006 and Tinsle chinchilla 2004-Jan.23 2008, Shiloh beagle dog June 23rd 1994-April 17th 2008, Grace chinchilla Dec. 26th 2003 -July 2008, Kit chihuahua Dec 1997-2009.

Swimming in the Ocean

We have a 8 month Beagle and we took him to the ocean. On this first visit he would not go into the water on his own accord. However we carried him in our arms until the water was about 4 ft and stood 5-15 ft apart and he would swim back and forth into our arms without too much fuss. My guess is that he will never really like the water but maybe that'll change eventually

Just because she doesnt like a bath doesnt mean she wont like water. My little dog a shih tzu maltese mix hates baths she crouches and runs when I turn the water on. I went to the lake on our walk just for a change and I walked down to the bank of it and it was cold outside Im sure the water was freezing but she ran into it chasing after a bug and it didnt seem to mind it at all. Were going to the beach in May and I am taking her with me. I am sure that she will get into the water there but I definelty recommend a life jacket for any type of dog becuase they can all get tired and start sinking. So I am getting her one. Just dont force her into it let her experiment it on her own and reward her if she will go in and make it fun for her. If she doesnt like it dont force her because she will never get back in if you scare her.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."

Mila- 3 years old, born on 8/28/08.

Emie-1 year, born on 9/8/10.

Lou- 2ish, found 12/10

Never Forgotten:

Teddy-2006-2008, Your paw prints will be in my heart forever.

Rose-1998-2010, You lead me through my childhood with only the wag of your tail!

It just depends on the dog. Some dogs love water and some hate it. My fiance has raised beagles for most of his life and his last one loved to go swimming in the ponds.
    Mom to: Shooter-Blue Heeler; Kallie-Red Heeler Mix; Ranger-Red Heeler; Boots-3/4 Coonhound 1/4 Australian Shepard
    Eve and Fiona-Guinea Pigs
    Oh and three non-furry kids!

Join the crazy cavies at www.piggiephun.proboards.com. All species welcome
    My endless random ramblings: http://kcksss08.blogspot.com/