Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 month old kitten - bad breath

5 month old kitten - bad breath

Ok ... I feel bad because I come here with questions and not alot of answers for others (as I'm a bit of a new owner)

But I would like the input of ... well ... whoever can give me input

My baby boy, Presley is 5 months old (actually almost 6 months) ... and I realise he is teething ... he has bad breath and I'm just wondering if that is purely because he is teething?

Is it wise to try to clean his teeth at this stage?

Any advice is much appreciated

Thank you

What kind of food does Presley eat? Is the bad breath new, or has he always had it?

Teeth cleaning is better started early, anyway, but I wonder if something else is going on. A sudden foul odor on the breath can be a sign of some illness.

Does he go outside? Could he have gotten into something, eaten something that made his breath smell bad?

Is it posible you are noticing his breath just after he eats a smelly meal, maybe a few hours later he will have sweet kitten breath again.

If you are very concerned you can bring him in for a check up. At that time you can receive instruction on how to brush his teeth, too. do not use human toothpaste. They make special brushes and toothpaste for cats.

Or you can just take a bit of gauze, wrap it around your finger and wipe off his teeth with that every week.

But most 6 month old cats do not ahve bad breath unless somehting's wrong. maybe he's got a baby tooth rotting in there or something.

As you can tell I'm only throwing out ideas for you, I don't really have any definite answer.

But we like questions. Ask as many as you want. If you feel the need to contribute tell us stories about Presley and his antics.

I don't know if this helps you but when Skeeter was eating fish flavored wet foods, he had horrible buffalo breath. When he got the crystals in his urine, I had to take him off the fish flavored foods and he no longer has that nasty breath.

Eating wet or moist food all the time can cause foul breath and foul stools, what is he eating?

Sudden bad breath is also a sign of illness or an infection (i.e. rotting tooth).

Usually bad breath in kittens has to do with diet.
    My Babies:
    Callie, (9 yrs old) cat;
    ZsaZsa (AKA Demon): (20 months old) cat;
    Alley (AKA Alley-girl, Clutz): (20 months old) cat;
    Mia: (9 yrs old) 1/2 beagle/ 1/2 mutt doggie

Chunk (August 20, 2007 - April 1, 2009 RIP)

A lot of Foster Babies along the way - kittens, birds, puppies & lizards - oh, my!

Firstly thanks so much for spending the time to try to help me

Quote Originally Posted by special
    What kind of food does Presley eat? Is the bad breath new, or has he always had it?
    No he hasn't always had it

He eats raw meat from the butchers ... beef, lamb and pork ... sometimes a bit of chicken ... as a snack I give him tuna, sardines or mackerel ... these are all things the breeder told me to give him

Does he go outside? Could he have gotten into something, eaten something that made his breath smell bad?
    No he never goes outside - he is purely an indoor cat

He is good at catching things and most of the time we can stop him but if we're not home and he spots a small insect, chances are he might eat it

But I've never seen him do this

We do not have any plants in the house either

Is it posible you are noticing his breath just after he eats a smelly meal, maybe a few hours later he will have sweet kitten breath again.
    Not particularly ... this seems to be a consistent odour

But most 6 month old cats do not ahve bad breath unless somehting's wrong. maybe he's got a baby tooth rotting in there or something
    This greatly worries me then

He is the most beautiful little boy ... he plays around and gets very hyped up and then crashes and burns but ultimately he is very long, loyal and affection

Quote Originally Posted by ringletchk
    I don't know if this helps you but when Skeeter was eating fish flavored wet foods, he had horrible buffalo breath. When he got the crystals in his urine, I had to take him off the fish flavored foods and he no longer has that nasty breath.
    It is like buffalo breath! I'm not sure what you mean by fish flavored wet foods ... I give him tuna etc which is in springwater (just as the breeder told me)

Thanks for your concern and input guys ... much appreciate

Quote Originally Posted by SweetQueenA
    Eating wet or moist food all the time can cause foul breath and foul stools, what is he eating?

Sudden bad breath is also a sign of illness or an infection (i.e. rotting tooth).

Usually bad breath in kittens has to do with diet.
    Hey SweetQueenA

I'm not sure what all the time means ... he probably eats tuna etc maybe once a day ... maybe less

Actually now I think about it ... it probably has coincided with me giving him the tuna etc as a separate treat ... when I come home from work I give him a small amount then later on I give him his meat (because he likes to go back to it all through the night)

Maybe that's it!

I'd much prefer that than a rotting tooth ... that scares me but I know I will have to take him to the vet ... I hate the idea of my little man being in any pain

Wait a minute, is your kitten eating only raw meat? Then he must be seriously malnourished. kittens (and cats too) need many more things in their diet besides meat. When they eat an animal "in the wild" they eat the whole animal, organs and all, to get all the vitamins and minerals they need.

Taurine esepcially is extremely important for a cat's eye health. Without taurine the eye's cornea will begin to form lesions, and if not corrected in time, kitty will go blind. Cats cannot manufacture enough taurine from meat alone to keep themselves healthy, they need to get it from their diet. but this is only one example. there are many nutrients a growing kitten (and adult cat) needs to be healthy.

I recommend you to tale Presley to the vet and have a complete check up (you'd better have a stool sample too to check for parasites, common in cats on raw meat diets) and ask the vet for a good nutrition plan, and high quality kitten food, to get him back on track.

Well thanks for your input

He had an overall health check not that long ago and the vet was very happy with him

He is extremely active, everybody that has not seen him for a few months cannot believe how much he has grown, he seems to me to be an the ideal weight (and as per the vet) and has a strong appetite ... he loves his food ... he just seems to be getting bigger and bigger

I do give him vegetables and rice too from time to time

Oh well ... thanks again!

I'm glad he seems healthy. Is he getting daily vitamin and mineral supplements, then?

Healthy except for his bad breath, which as mentioned, bad breath can be an indication of illness (or a bad tooth.)

For myself, I tend to err on the side of caution, and take my cats to the vet, if there is some unexplainable change in their health or habits. I know that's not for everyone, many people prefer to wait and see. I'm a nervous mother, perhaps it comes from having special needs cats.

Please let us know how Presley gets on.

Thanks so much Special ... I really appreciate that

And yes I will be doing exactly that .... I will take him to the vet about his breath and get his teeth checked out and ask about his diet

Cheers everybody!

Just thought I'd pop in with an update:

I took Presley to the vet last night and he is absolutely perfect, thank God!

He has gained 1.3 kilos in just over two months. His temperature and heartbeat is perfect. They ran a general check up over him

His breath actually has improved in the last couple of days

But basically, the vet looked closely at his teeth and gums ... the last of his baby teeth have gone and his gums are red but he is not in any obvious pain, he is eating really well, his poopies are the right shape and colour

So my vet basically said what he was going through was completely natural for teething kittens ... that it will take its course ... and since he seems in great condition otherwise and not in any pain he was reluctant to put him on antibiotics that could upset his tummy etc

Also we talked diet ... I forgot to mention that Presley has 24 hour access to dried food ... Royal Canin for kittens ... it has vitamin supplements and is especially designed for his bones etc ... I just assume everybody has dried food for their cats

So basically the vet was happy with his diet

I've talked too much now

LOL

Again thanks everybody
    My darling boy, Presley

Quote Originally Posted by Kylie
    Just thought I'd pop in with an update:

I took Presley to the vet last night and he is absolutely perfect, thank God!

He has gained 1.3 kilos in just over two months. His temperature and heartbeat is perfect. They ran a general check up over him

His breath actually has improved in the last couple of days

But basically, the vet looked closely at his teeth and gums ... the last of his baby teeth have gone and his gums are red but he is not in any obvious pain, he is eating really well, his poopies are the right shape and colour

So my vet basically said what he was going through was completely natural for teething kittens ... that it will take its course ... and since he seems in great condition otherwise and not in any pain he was reluctant to put him on antibiotics that could upset his tummy etc

Also we talked diet ... I forgot to mention that Presley has 24 hour access to dried food ... Royal Canin for kittens ... it has vitamin supplements and is especially designed for his bones etc ... I just assume everybody has dried food for their cats

So basically the vet was happy with his diet

I've talked too much now

LOL

Again thanks everybody

Thank you so much for the up date and that's terrific that he is in good health and the bad breath is not somethng to worry aobut. No, you hadn't mentioend that you free feed cat food. That makes me feel a whole lot better to know that!<s>

Not everyone free feeds. I don't. My four cats are all on differnt diets for one thing, and for another, I always seem to have at least one who will eat the world if given the chance. So I have never free fed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylie
    I've talked too much now

LOL
    Impossible to "talk too much" about your cat or cats in general. There's always more to say!<g>

Thanks so much special

i literally had no idea, until I spoke to the vet, that some folk don't give their pets dried food for whatever reasons

I just assumed ... I'm glad you advised a visit to the vet ... it certainly gives one peace of mind
    My darling boy, Presley

phillydogs Guest
    Canned tuna on a daily basis is not a good idea.

Tiffers tuned me in to the fact that there are all kinds of additives that are bad for cats that you wouldn't think are in "tuna in water", check your labels because they put onion or veggie broth that contains onion (can be toxic) and junk like chile powder in there. You'd never expect it. It could be the source of the dragon breath

Quote Originally Posted by phillydogs
    Canned tuna on a daily basis is not a good idea.

Tiffers tuned me in to the fact that there are all kinds of additives that are bad for cats that you wouldn't think are in "tuna in water", check your labels because they put onion or veggie broth that contains onion (can be toxic) and junk like chile powder in there. You'd never expect it. It could be the source of the dragon breath
    Cheers thanks ... I'll take a closer look!
    My darling boy, Presley