Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possesive Cat? Really?

Possesive Cat? Really?

I think i might have a cat that is super possesive of me. I know that cats generally do not get possesive of their owners - atleast NONE of the ones that i have had..

anyways i have this kitten (fooey) , well, she's a year old. Her and her sister (squirt) are COMPLETELY different even though they were born together and raised together. Their momma (chili cat) also lives here along with our first cat.(tweek)

recently fooey has been challenging tweek for dominance and she has basically won. Tweek has receded as the dominant cat and just let fooey take over. This situation is actually working out ok. Tweek has been more affectionate since then.

NOW here is where the possession comes in. Fooey will come by and SWAT at and ATTACK any cat that i show more attention to than her. If i just finished petting her, she is FINE, but if ignore her and pet someone else first, she swats and fights..

The thing with the dog is a little different. If he dog is being rambunctious and playing with me, Fooey will literally get right in between me and the dog and either stare him down or hit him. The dog is TERRIFIED of only her and he yelps without even being touched if she just swats in his general direction.

So.. has anyone else had such a possessive cat? I have NEVER had anything like this before.. she is like my puppy cat!
    Help Cappy with this photo contest~! he's too cute to pass up!!
    CLICK HERE TO SEE
    Lindsay
    The Kitties (total 6!) :
    Tweek Chili Cat Fuffuffooey Squirt
    Tara(bibble)
    Mr. Mojo

The pooch:
    Cappy

Artistic Pet Photography By Matty B (my husband)
    bscphoto.com

Mitty. Not only does she try to chase the other cats away from me she has twice come up to me purring only to slash my arm and walk away when she's seen another animal in my arms. I am her personal property, period! Thank goodness she was born in the body of a cat, were she a human she'd be the kind of woman who wants to fight any woman she sees near her husband!
    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

cat colony: Hunter S Tomcat, Archie and Mehitable, Witch, and Calamity Jane, Cuddlebug, Havana, Ghost, Spitfire Liz, Little Bit, Jesse, Moe, Cali, Stardust, Anastasia & Christy, Sally and the 5 boys

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

rip Tiger, Rabbit, Two Stars, Angel,Elaine, Mungo Jerry, Tex and Ijimus. I'll meet y'all at the bridge.

Yes, I have a Maine Coon, Paris, who is very possessive. With my late cat, Duchess, she would get up and walk away whenever she just came to sit next to me. Paris would growl as she left. Now with the new kittens she's at her meanest in the evening when I come home. Traditionally this was our time to sit by the fire, watch TV or play. Well these kittens will of course interrupt so Paris has been quite vocal about not liking it. And like yours, she's bitten and taken swipes at me if any kitten gets near when I've been petting Paris. I'm just trying to make sure I give Paris attention when the kittens play with themselves and carefully when they're around so that I don't get hurt. I don't want Paris to think petting time will only be when the little ones are away. I've also found that Maine Coons are one person cats. I had another, Princess, who (like Paris) would not allow anyone else to pet them. I smartly got two kittens because I knew one would never get much love from Paris. So I say all that to tell you that yes, some cats are very jealous when it comes to their ownership of humans. :-)
    Thank you,
    Prdupa
    Paris-Maine Coon
    Zoelee-Domestic Shorthair, tabby
    Kesi-Domestic Shorthair, torti

possessive animals

I'll trade you all, lol. I have a dog and a cat that are possessive attention fiends. One will come up for attention, and then other has to come over and butt in immediately. It's not like they are lacking it, but what one gets, the other wants. It's a never ending circle lol.
    FurryFuriends - Completely customizable gifts for pet lovers and more
    Work from home - 100% free, Make money for your opinion on the net
    Unlimited Web Hosting - Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting solutions

Hmm, has anyone noticed that all these violently possesive cats are females? Whats up with our girls here?
    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

cat colony: Hunter S Tomcat, Archie and Mehitable, Witch, and Calamity Jane, Cuddlebug, Havana, Ghost, Spitfire Liz, Little Bit, Jesse, Moe, Cali, Stardust, Anastasia & Christy, Sally and the 5 boys

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

rip Tiger, Rabbit, Two Stars, Angel,Elaine, Mungo Jerry, Tex and Ijimus. I'll meet y'all at the bridge.

hm,, i didnt even THINK about the fact that they were all female. VEERRRYYY interesting..

I LOVE my fooey. She is SUCH a great cat, and she literally follows me EVERYWHERE> I can not do anything or go anywhere without her right at my feet. It actually works out great because if i want her out of the room, all i have to do is walk out and close the door behind me.

I just feel bad for the other kitties. I always make sure that ALL cats get equal attention. Its a lot of work but i love my kitties.. and my puppy.

The other annoying thing about FOoey is in order togive her attention and affection, i need to follow her around. She is one of those pacing purrer cats> She puurrrrsss like crazy but paces back and forth all over wanting to be petted, but not sitting still to let me pet her.. shes a pain..s hes also my chirping kitty. She chirps ALL NIGHT LONG
    CLICK HERE TO SEE
    Lindsay
    The Kitties (total 6!) :
    Tara(bibble)
    Mr. Mojo

The pooch:
    Cappy

bscphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayanng
    h
    The other annoying thing about FOoey is in order togive her attention and affection, i need to follow her around. She is one of those pacing purrer cats> She puurrrrsss like crazy but paces back and forth all over wanting to be petted, but not sitting still to let me pet her.. shes a pain..s hes also my chirping kitty. She chirps ALL NIGHT LONG
    My Red boy requires me to crawl around on the floor following him as he gets his pets and combing and all (Raptures is what I call it)

My Baby (rb 1998) was a one person cat though. he didn't care about sharing me with my other cats, (I often had a cat pile on my lap) but no other human was allowed to come near me, if he was on me. And he was on me every chance he could get. I didn't mind, though I had a boyfriend at one time who objected strongly to it. he didn't last long. <g>

Evey Guest
    Add me to the list of people with a highly possessive female cat. She even attacked a visiting dog today that I was roughhousing with. Came like the hell spawn my husband believes her to be in full speed attack mode and jumped onto this poor dog's back & bit the tar out of him. Then she stood in front of me and dared anyone to come near. This is my first female cat, and the only one I have ever had that behaves in this manner.

I wonder if they consider us to be their kittens? Mitty does spend a lot of time grooming me. Were all these girls we're talking abaout spayed before they had a litter? Mitty was.
    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

It is really odd that they all seem to be females. I have no male cats in my house, so i dont really have anything to compare it to, but out of all four of my females, ONE of them is SUPER posessive. Not with humans though, when my hubby comes to sit with me, she just thinks of it as more pets for her.

i wish she wasnt so possesive because i would like to have a cat pile on my lap again,,
    CLICK HERE TO SEE
    Lindsay
    The Kitties (total 6!) :
    Tara(bibble)
    Mr. Mojo

The pooch:
    Cappy

bscphoto.com

my dog mikki can be a lil bit possessive... she even want to enter the cr with me... and sometimes barks when i am taking a bath... like she's saying... let me in... let me in... ^_^
    It's a dog eat dog world, Woody, and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Ladies! I don't think it's a female thing because Skeeter does it too. Every time my BF comes over, Skeeter won't let us near each other, he just butts in and has to be given the attention. Even when we're sleeping, he has to sleep between us. Now if I want to hug my BF, I have to be petting Skeeter at the same time. Kinda goofy but it works.

I used to have a dog who'd been raised around nothing but women, and he was really protective of me.. He was about 9 months old when I got over my failed marriage and started to date again. The first time the man I was seeing got out of his van in my yard it was a good thing he'd been working outdoors and was wearing heavy insulated coveralls, because Shane-dog came very close to nuetering him! Then he got to meet my daughters, who were on their absolute worst behaviour. It's a wonder he ever came back after that day!
    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

i kind of expect that behavior from a dog, event hough its not the BEST behavior for a dog to have, but a cat?! i always had a cat who liked one person more than another, but i NEVER had a cat get between myself and a dog that was "attacking" me with such ANGER in her eyes.. she was ready to defend me!!
    CLICK HERE TO SEE
    Lindsay
    The Kitties (total 6!) :
    Tara(bibble)
    Mr. Mojo

The pooch:
    Cappy

bscphoto.com

its not only females, my cat gus is very possesive with me when it comes to his brother (litter mate) buddy. he will give buddy a little swat when he comes near me when gus is being pet and he also does this sneaky little thing where it looks like he is licking buddy (he tricked me for months) but when he does the lick, he does a little snap with his mouth and buddy runs away. i had no idea he was doing for a like a year, thats how slick it is.

and he will ignore me calling him for ten minutes, as soon as i call buddy and buddy comes over, gus comes running over and gets between us.

very funny.