Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Cold? Sneezing, Watery Eyes...Please Help Calm Me Down

Unhappy Cat Cold? Sneezing, Watery Eyes...Please Help Calm Me Down

I was just on here yesterday & read & posted on the thread "Questions about Cat Cold" and I did a bit of reading about these problems but now, so far I've got 3 indoot cats and 1 cat that is outdoors in a pen that has a terrible crud.

This all started out about 6 days ago after our grass was cut. My oldest cat "Missy" who is maybe 4 &1/2 years old started this sneezing. She sneezed maybe 50 times the first night, but she didn't have a runny nose or anything else, just sneezing. Well at night she shares a bed on top of our cat tree with my black cat "Nicky".

I took Missy to the vet this past Friday and had her checked out. She had no fever & her breathing was very good with no weezing at all. He gave her an Antihistimine shot & gave me a bottle of Amoxicilan to give her a dropper full 2 times a day. He said he would treat it as an allergy.

Well now Nicky is extremely sick. She has a runny nose and her eyes are so water and kinda swollen up, it hurts me just to look at her. I feel so sorry for her. I started giving her the Amoxiclan also, the vet said it was OK to give to any others if needed. I put a drop of Visine in her eyes last night and it seemed to help, but she seems to feel so bad. She has always kinda weezed & sometimes snores a little when she's sleeping, but I've had her checked before and she didn't have an infection or anything. She almost 4 years old and she's never had a problem at all.

Well yesterday, 1 of my male cats, "Tommy" is sneezing so I started giving him the medicine to. He don't seem to have any drainage from his nose or his eyes, but he is sneezing.

I also have a male cat, "Sammy" that is outside in a pen with 1 more male and Sammy is sneezing also and his eyes are kinda puffy looking. He doesn't have any contact with the cats indoors.

Can someone PLEASE try and tell me what could be going on ?
    The vet said that Missy for sure didn't have a URI, so what could it be ?
    Could it be a cold being that it does seem contagous ?
    The anitbiotics don't seem to be helping any of them and Missy has been taking it since this past Friday, 2-21-08 and she is still sneezing. Have I not given it enough time to work or what ?

All of our cats have had a Leukemia/HIV test done and they have never been sick before.

I'm on a fixed income due to being disabled and I can't really afford to carry all of my cats to the vet, especially when he charges for an office visit.

I've been reading on the internet where it's safe to give cats 10-12MG of Benadryl such as Childrens Benadryl and I know that maybe 1015 years ago, my mom use to give it to our cats and a vet said it was OK if you could get them to take it. I have some of the Adult strength capsules. The I-net said that you can take the capsule apart and dump out 1/2 of it & slide it back together a give it to cats that way, but I don't want to do that while I give them the antibiotics.

Am I over-reacting or should I be nervous like I am right now. I feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdoown when it comes to my cats. They are my kids, they're really more than kids to me, they're my life. I need someone to help me lift my spirits or something. It just depresses me for something like this to happen and I feel so helpless. My cats just look at me like, help us.

Please if there is someone that can help me find out what this problem is.
    Thanks in advance !
    Chris H.
    "AKA"
    23 Cats' Dad

Unhappy

Now I've got another male cat Jeh Jeh that is sneezing real bad. It seems like 1 cat is getting sick everyday.

I'm going to call the vet in a couple of hours and see what he says. It's just so hard to sit here and not be able to do anything.
    Chris H.
    "AKA"
    23 Cats' Dad

There are others on here who can tell you for sure, personally I'd be a little scared to give them benadryl without the vets say so. Since they've been tested fpr felv, I'm guessing they have their shots up to date too. It seems kind of cold hearted of your vet to want to see each cat individually when they're all having the same symptoms, seems like he could just double or triple the amount of the prescriptions. Then again, I guess they worry about liability from lawsuits just like any other doctor.
    I hope someone who knows more about OTC people meds and cats comes on soon. Good luck, I know you have to be worried sick.
    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

cat colony: Hunter S Tomcat, Archie and Mehitable, Witch, and Calamity Jane, Cuddlebug, Havana, Ghost, Spitfire Liz, Little Bit, Jesse, Moe, Cali, Stardust, Anastasia & Christy, Sally and the 5 boys

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

rip Tiger, Rabbit, Two Stars, Angel,Elaine, Mungo Jerry, Tex and Ijimus. I'll meet y'all at the bridge.

i agree with avoiding OTC meds unless your vet specifically says so..

Now i have to share with you my experience.. I had Chili cat for 2 years, and she had gotted URI like symptoms on and off ffor what seemed like FOREVER. She was always on meds, and it got better sometimes,a nd then months later it would come back.. if it wasnt water eyes, it was lethargy, goupy eyes, or wheezing.. then the kittens started having the same issues..

The last issue was Chili's third eye lids were almost always half closed and she was very sleepy all the time..

So it was BARTONELLA>. cats can carry it for a long time withouth showing any symptoms, and some cats NEVER show symptoms, but what you are describing sounds like what i went through with my cat.. I spent SOO much money on all of them, when i should have gotten them tested much much earlier..

If it is bartonella, and they have had it for a while, then you can check her gums. if there is what looks like a red line across the bottom of her gums at the teeth line, that is usually a sure sign of it.. especially if there is no tartar on the teeth.

Its an expensive treatment, but it might be the only thing that works.. it is still cheaper to treat that, than try to treat a thousand small colds all year long..

I hope this helps, and i HOPE its not bartonella, but i would get a test just to see, because it is highly communicable, even to people (i caught it and its AWFUL!!) and all my cats also showed symptoms around the same time.
    Help Cappy with this photo contest~! he's too cute to pass up!!
    CLICK HERE TO SEE
    Lindsay
    The Kitties (total 6!) :
    Tweek Chili Cat Fuffuffooey Squirt
    Tara(bibble)
    Mr. Mojo

The pooch:
    Cappy

Artistic Pet Photography By Matty B (my husband)
    bscphoto.com

I now have about 7 cats that are all sneezing and one that is just very sickly with watery eyes. I went back to the vet yesterday & he gave me some 2 more bottels of Amoxilcillan and a tube of Viralys. The Viralys is to give all of my cats and to give the antibiotics to the ones thats sick.

I'm now waiting on the vet to call me back, so I've gotta go for now.

Please Pray that this all goes well.
    Chris H.
    "AKA"
    23 Cats' Dad

did you end up getting the test done for bartonella? I would be curious if they have it or not.. its SOO common in multiple cats and outdoor cats
    CLICK HERE TO SEE
    Lindsay
    The Kitties (total 6!) :
    Tara(bibble)
    Mr. Mojo

The pooch:
    Cappy

bscphoto.com

I don't blame you for panicing. I'd be freaking out, too. Give the antibiotics time to work. Now that they are ALL on it hopefully you'll see some results.

Please do NOT put visine in any more cats eyes, or use ANY human or pet OTC medicines on these cats, without specific veterinary approval. Especailly don't assume, if the vet says children's benadryl is okay, it is okay to cut down an adult dose. When using human medicines, follow your vet's orders to the letter.

And I agree with lindsay that a bartonella test, bring in whoever is sickest, is in order.

(will it show up,. even when they are on the antibiotics, Lindsay?)

yea.. bartonella will show up with antibiotics, it will even show up if you are on the antibiotic that treats it. It takes 6 months AFTER treatment for it not to show up.. So you can test for it when ever is possible.. the sooner the better. you dont want to be buying large doses of amoxicilin if you need Zithromax to treat it.. The thing it the amoxicilin will disguise the symptoms and make it seem like they are healthy because it will treat it partially.. but the symptoms will return, the thing is, they arent always the SAME symptoms that return.. thats why if your cat gets colds or "allergies" or anything more than once in a year, its worth testing for.

The test takes 5 days for the results to come back, in the meantime you just treat the symptoms, NOT with visine or benadryl. but just a good quality food and a lot of water and just healthy stuff.. the test basically tests to see if the anti-bodies that fight bartonella specifically are present in the cat. It is VERY VERY rare that a false positive presents, but it is NOT rare that a cat that has had NO symptoms will show up positive, as many cats will never have symptoms.. the issue though is that cat can pass it to a cat that will have symptoms, and until you treat ALL cats, youw ill just have a viscious cycle.
    CLICK HERE TO SEE
    Lindsay
    The Kitties (total 6!) :
    Tara(bibble)
    Mr. Mojo

The pooch:
    Cappy

bscphoto.com

I'm so sorry that it has taken me so long to get back and let everyone know what's been going on....I've just been flat wore out from having to get 13 cats one at a time twice a day to medicate them and then on Easter Sunday, my brother's sister'n'law was killed in a car wreck & I had to go to her funeral the following Wednesday & everything has taken a toll on me with me having soooo much back, hip, and body pain and my nerves are shot.

did you end up getting the test done for bartonella?
    lindsayanng,
    I didn't ever have the test for Bartonella done, because out of 2 differant vets, they caught on to what the problem was within a day from when I carried the first cat, Missy to the vet & they never mentioned that it could be Bartonella.......BUT, if this pops up again, I will for sure have that test done.

OK, now for the cats' problems....Out of the 13 cats we have indoors 100% of the time, 4 of them never got sick at all. As I stated in my last post, our vet, Dr. Marshal had called me and explained what he was pretty sure what the problem was.

He said that he believed that it was the Herpees virus and that Missy, the first cat to get sick was prolly the carrier of the virus and the least little thing could have stressed her and caused her to get sick and it was for sure contagous. The reason he didn't pick up on this when we carried Missy to him at first, was because she was the only one sick and she didn't have a fever, so he thought it may be an allergy, but the next day when Nicki came down sick, we knew then that it was viral. None of our cats have ever been sick and we got Missy from a Humane Society and she could have picked it up there, but she wasn't sick when we got her, but I guess she didn't have to be to just be a carrier of the virus.

After he explained everything to me, he had me come back in and pick up 2 more bottles of Amoxilcillan and a tube of Viralys. We gave each cat 1 dropper full of the Amoxilcillan and about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of the Viralys with a syringe orally twice a day. It was so hard because their noses were stopped up and when we would squirt the medicine in their mouths, they would spit it back up and gag and get very very frothy at the mouth.

My one cat, Nicki, got so sick that I was about to go crazy. She sleeps with Missy every night and Missy was the very first cat to get sick. Nicki quit eating and drinking water & started to lose weight. She looked deathly ill, so I ended up carrying her to another vet, because the first vet that I used, charges an office visit fee & is I think a little higher priced on things and it's so hard for me to pay out any extra $$$$ when I'm on a fixed income with disability, so I took Nicki to Dr. Sullivan, another very good vet that we also use. No matter what it takes though, if it's something that has to be done, my mom will help me out on the costs. She to, loves animals as much as I do. Dr. Sullivan also said that it was prolly Herpees and it would have to run it's course. She said that the Viralys was excellant stuff to be giving them for Herpees and that the Amoxilcillan was only given to them to keep them from catching any other sicknesses because their immune systems were so weak from being sick.
    She gave Nicki a shot that was suppose to help dry up all the mucas in her mouth and it should have gave her an appetite so maybe she would eat something, but it didn't seem to have any effect on her at all. I also bought a jar of the Viralys that was in a powder form that could just be sprinkled over some canned food. It was easier than trying to give them the liquid paste Viralys with a dropper, as long as I could get the cats to eat.

By this time, I was almost in tears because she was so weak and the look on her face just tore me up inside. The next day (Friday 3-18-08) I called Dr. Sullivan and told her that Nicki was not any better at all, so she had us bring Nicki back. This time, they took some stuff in an IV Bag and just injected some fluid just under the skin on the back of her neck. She said that this would help to get some fluids back in Nicki's body. It was kinda a swollen up pouch of fluid that bulged out on her neck and that overnight, it would gradually spread into her body and the fluid also had something in it to help get the glucose up so maybe it would give Nicki a little energy. Since it had been at least 3 days since Nicki had taken any medicine, because she couldn't swallow it at all, the vet gave her a shot that was suppose to be just like the medicines that we were giving them. She said that if Nicki didn't start eating and drinking by the following Monday, that we would need to bring her back and have more fluid injected in her again.
    Dr. Sullivan gave Nicki a 60/40 chance on getting over this sickness and I couldn't tell you how I took that, because my mind went into another world and the depression really took over as if I didn't have enough depression to start with from my pain and the cats being sick.

Well the next morning, Nicki got up and walked from one room to another and just seeing her do that made me so happy. By the time that Monday rolled around, Nicki was eating maybe a tablespoon of canned cat food gravy with the powdered Viralys on it and was drinking water. By the next day, Tuesday, she was eating a 1/2 small can of canned food. When I would get their food out, I would always call Missy & Nicki and I would feed them together in our study room with the door closed because they don't like to eat with any other cats. Well I called them and both of them came running and waited at the door for me to let them in. This past Thursday, Nicki climbed up on the cat tree for the first time in about 12-13 days and she's back to herself again.....Thank The Lord.

I've still got 2 cats Tammy & Mini, that still sick and they lay around alot & there's prolly still 3 or 4 that's still sneezing a little but I think it's almost over. I just Pray To God that this never happens again or I may have a nervous breakdown.

Thanks for all of your replies. If anyone has anything that may be helpful in any way, please post it & I'll check this thread every couple of days.
    Chris H.
    "AKA"
    23 Cats' Dad

Thank you for the update Chris. It sounds like things are finally getting under control for you.

I would only add, do not stop giving the l-lysine ever. All the cats that are affected should be on it for their whole lives. If it was only one cat, you might possibly be able to cut back on it eventually (some cats can, not mine though, he has to have it daily or the virus rears it's ugly head very quickly) but when you are dealing with multiple cats having the same condiiton, you really have to stay on top of it.

I'm glad the powder over the food is working for you. I would not want to be dosing 9 cats every day for that either.

I have three cats who take maintenance meds for a total of 10 medication sessions every single day, so I can relate. Lucky for me they are so used to it now that I don't have any trouble administering. Sometimes somehting gets vomited up though, and I have to repeat.

thanks for the update!!

just be aware of the fact that is STILL could be Bartonella. Vets are usually hesitant to test for it because the test and medicine is expensive and assume the owner would not want to spend the kind of money, the other reason a vet might not suggest it is because not all vets fully understand WHAT bartonella is and what the symptoms of bartonella are. I, unfortunately, have become an expert on it.

just be aware that if things start popping up again the same way they are now, that is VERY POSSIBLY could be bartonella.
    CLICK HERE TO SEE
    Lindsay
    The Kitties (total 6!) :
    Tara(bibble)
    Mr. Mojo

The pooch:
    Cappy

bscphoto.com

dlaura is offline I must, I must, I must Supporting Member
    PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Oh you have been through an awful time with your kitties! I am glad that all your kitties are showing improvement. Sorry I missed this thread until now.
    ATTITUDE! Life is 10% what happens to one and 90% how one reacts to it!

nice to know that your kitty's health are improving...
    It's a dog eat dog world, Woody, and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Wow, sounds like you had a bad few weeks there, I'm glad they're geting better. This is stuff I havn't encountered yet, I'll keep this thread in mind for future referance. I like the sound of your new vet, seems like she takes a little time to explain to you whats going on.
    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

cat colony: Hunter S Tomcat, Archie and Mehitable, Witch, and Calamity Jane, Cuddlebug, Havana, Ghost, Spitfire Liz, Little Bit, Jesse, Moe, Cali, Stardust, Anastasia & Christy, Sally and the 5 boys

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

rip Tiger, Rabbit, Two Stars, Angel,Elaine, Mungo Jerry, Tex and Ijimus. I'll meet y'all at the bridge.

Smile Every thing gonna be okay

I adopted an 8 week old kitten on 02/29/2012 she weighed 2.6 pounds her name is Paris Hilton she is as beautifull as her name domestic short hair buff color tabby and she got cold with sneeze and runny eyes the very second day.do not get desperate your cats gonna be OK nothing gonna happen to them because they are the most innocent creature in the world if they are eating moving and playing that means they have good resistance a quater of a crushed vitamin C tablet diluted in water in a table spoonfull open their mouth and throw it in their mouth while in upward position so that water may not comeback out of thier mouth this help cold go away and build future immunity against cold,allergies.