Thread: My dog ate potpourri

lmalito Guest

My dog ate potpourri

Does anyone know if potpourri is poisonous to dogs? My boxer got into my potpourri on the coffee table (TOTALLY not like him at all, its been there for months and he has never touched it before) anyways, saturday night he started throwing up, so we took him off of food and water for 24 hours, then I started to give him some ice cubes to make sure he had some liquids and I knew that they helped me when I was nauscious all the time from being pregnant...well he eats the ice cubes but he doesnt want to drink water or eat his rice with chicken broth. Any ideas?

I would suggest giving your vet a call and explaining the situation. This sounds like something you should probably have him seen for. The larger pieces could get stuck in his bowels. Plus, if he's still not drinking water, there's always a risk of dehydration.

If it were my dog, I'd at least call for some advice.
    Krystal

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lmalito Guest
    I just went onto the ASPCA's website to check if it was poisonous and it only mentions liquid potpourri and this is actual wood type chips and decorations.

lmalito Guest
    a friend of mine told me that his dog ate some potpourri one time and he gave her a teaspoon of pepto and she was fine...I am going to give him some right when I get home to see if that will help. I am hoping that when I get home he is feeling more like himself. I never knew that potpourri would make a dog this sick...makes me wonder why he kept eating it if #1 it didnt taste good and #2 it was making him sick

If you believe your dog to be truely sick, call a vet. Pepto is a human medication which should be recommended for your dog BY A VET! Please call your vet and verify it's ok.

from: http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1456

Bismuth subsalicylate is used to treat mild vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. It can be fatal if used in cats; use only under direct supervision of your veterinarian. Tongue and stool may darken temporarily. If the vomiting and/or diarrhea persists for more than 48 hours; the pet has a fever, is depressed or shows abdominal pain; or the pet does not continue to be active and alert, contact your veterinarian.
    Krystal

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The wood chips could cause a blockage and the oils could be toxic. Time for the Vet. and some house rearranging.

lmalito Guest
    just wanted to update, we took him to the vet yesterday b/c i was getting worried about him getting dehydrated. sure enough they said it was probably due to the potpourri forming a blockage hence why he was trying to eat grass and throw it up but it just wasnt working. they said BIG NO NO to pepto...thank goodness I only gave him one pill...they said with a dog his size it probably had no effect but that it contains aspirin which is harmful to pups. Anyways, they gave him some special food to eat for the next 5 days, a penicillin shot, an anti-nausea shot and then sent us home with some anti-nausea pills along with 2 other anti-biotics to help get his bowels working...they also gave him fluids while we were there. When we got him home he actually ended up drinking some water, but still was wanting to lay around and you could tell the medicine just wasn't working yet. I stayed home all day yesterday just monitoring him and woke up this morning and he was pretty much the same still. He started his medicine last night and then had some this morning so I was hoping that by the time we got home from work today that it would have kicked in and sure enough IT DID! he ate his bowl of food and drank some water, my hubby took him for a walk to see if that would help him any and it actually gave him a little pep to his step. So all is well on the road to recovery.

lmalito Guest
    oh yeah, now the fun part...check the poo to see whats being passed!!!

I am glad that you took your dog to the vet. Hopefully everything will be fine and there won't be any permanent damage.
    Krystal

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hows your dog doing now?
    It's a dog eat dog world, Woody, and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Congrats on not needing surgery. How did dog-proofing the house go? Once a dog has started eating foreign objects, the trend generally continues. If you have any houseplants, from what I have observed in my 30+ years as a trainer, they will be next. Make sure none are toxic.

This just happened to my dog today. My neighbor is a vet and said to put about a tablespoon of Vaseline on his nose so he licks it. This is suppose to get the toxins out of his intestines and makes him poop it out. Before i gave this to him he was puking about every 10-20 mins. And now after i gave him Vaseline he hasn't puked for about a hour now. Hope this helps someone.

I'm raising 1 dog.every day it with me walking in the park suddenly today it is tired and I do not know if it is poisoning.now I do not know if you have .can you help me?