Thread: Red Rump Parakeets as Pets?

Question Red Rump Parakeets as Pets?

Hi all!

I came across Red Rumps Parrots/Parakeets a couple of months ago and was stunned by their beauty (I have 2 breeding pairs of budgies).

After my best friend and beloved budgie I bred who thought she was a human passed away almost a month ago, I thought of getting a Red Rump parakeet as I heard they were hardier birds (I don't want to go through another pet bird death anytime again soon).

I have the opportunity to purchase a hand-reared Red Rump Parakeet and I was just wondering if they make good (tame) pets, and what their personalities are like (I want to get a male as their colours are more vibrant) and I was wondering if they talk (it really doesnt make a difference whether they do or dont - just wondering)

Also, if you own a tame, pet, Red Rump some stories about yours or what it can do, what it likes to do, etc. - Just an opportunity to share some things about (and share the joys of) your pet Red Rump.

Thanks so much for your time!

Smile

Hi Petluva....I had not known much about the Red Rumped but I do have a book on "Long Tailed Parakeets" and found them in there. They are very beautiful birds. My book says in general, they have a very pleasant voice, and isolate breeding pairs because they become very aggressive. They like to forage so if they are in an avairy or very large cage it is an idea to cover with soil and grass. They are sensitive to cold, so room temperature should never be below 59 degrees during brooding. Prefers natural tree trunk as brooding site (8 inches in diameter) 24 inches tall.
    This information came out of "Long Tailed Parakeets" by: Annette Wolter published by "Barron's"

This is all I had to go on so it may not be much help. They were so beautiful in the pictures though. Good luck !
    ~*~In Loving Memory To My Mom ~*~ 1931-1993
    Some say love, it is a hunger: an endless aching need......
    I say love it is a flower and you it's only seed.
    Just remember in the winter, far beneath the bitter snows...
    lies the seed that with the suns love.....

~*in the spring.......becomes the Rose*~

I have a friend who breeds several species of birds and she has some Red-rumped parakeets. They are cute,but not the birds for everyone. In order to keep them tame, they must be handled on a daily basis. Some have been taught to step up and a few have been known to talk a bit.
    Adult males can not be housed together, they will fight and try to kill each other.
    They can also be pugnacious with other species, so care should be taken to keep them separated if you have other birds.

The majority of their diet should be composed of a quality seed mix, similar to that fed to cockatiels. However, unlike 'tiels, who are notorious for not eating much but seed, rumpies love a variety of veggies and greens. Corn, peas, carrots, kale, collard greens, broccoli, spring mix, romaine and broccoli slaw are all well received. Fatty seeds, such as sunflower, should be limited (unless sprouted.)
    Owned by:
    5 dogs
    2 cats
    2 hermit crabs
    12 rats
    several fancy mice
    Many pigeons
    12 rabbits

Taking Wildlife/Forestry Conservation classes and loving it

Check out my website:
    http://www.freewebs.com/windyhill07

Most birds that we keep in captivity as pets (not breeders) have to be handled preferrably on a daily basis or they can lose some of their tameness.
    And when I have had 'Tiels.....they always ate vegetables and some fruit. But I must say the biggest portion of their diet was seeds and sunflowers are hard on any breed of bird. They looked like such pretty birds in the book I have but that is all I knew about them. Sounds like you would need to take care with them a little more than your other more common Parakeets.

I would say if you were getting only one and it was to be a pet you would probably do great. Many birds that are kept in pairs for breeding do not make a good "pet" because they devote their time and love on their mate.

They dont always become "pets" even if you handle them each and every day. They are harder to tame, but it can be done. If you want one as a pet, just get one. Most prefer to be hands off pet, which is fine for some people.

Are you looking at getting a normal colored one or a Mutation colored one? (It doesnt matter, I'm just interested in knowing,lol)

The average size for this species is 10 inches (25cm).

They can be housed in breeding cages or aviaries. Red Rump Parakeets can tolerate low temperatures of 40 degrees if natualy aclimatized to it over a period of time but if they are suddenly removed for warmer temps and placed into cold climate they can become ill. I would suggest a minimum breeding cage space of 32 inches long x 20 inches high x 20 inches wide.

Compared to most Parakeets, Red Rumps have a pleasant sounding call which could almost be considered a song. It is much softer than the sounds of Budgies (Parakeets) and can be very melodious and almost chime-like.
    Most wont learn to talk,but there are some that do. They are not as outgoing or charismatic as budgies.

Good luck if you decide to get one
    Last edited by marebear; 01-18-2008 at 12:50 AM.
    Owned by:
    5 dogs
    2 cats
    2 hermit crabs
    12 rats
    several fancy mice
    Many pigeons
    12 rabbits

Taking Wildlife/Forestry Conservation classes and loving it

Check out my website:
    http://www.freewebs.com/windyhill07

Great advice to pass on marebear! All I really knew was what my book stated plus some knowledge of the Moustached 'Keet which is a long tailed 'Keet also, the Moustached comes from Asia. I have a female and have had her for quite some time. A very dear friend of mine got her,so I got her at a time when I could hardly "judge" their character etc.. she was gotten from a breeder and she was at deaths door, not sure she would live the night through. She pulled through and he gave her to me for her forever home but she is a beauty. She does not like a lot of hands on as a person can see why but she will tolerate it long enough for me to trim her toe nails and just check her over. I have no idea how old she is but I am guessing she is fairly old.
    I keep thinking a member here has a Red Rumped 'Keet but I don't remember who. Maybe they will find this thread before long.

http://forums.petlovers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29159 post #24

The above link is a picture of My Moustached 'Keet her name is Lakia

Quote Originally Posted by marebear
    They dont always become "pets" even if you handle them each and every day. They are harder to tame, but it can be done. If you want one as a pet, just get one. Most prefer to be hands off pet, which is fine for some people.

Are you looking at getting a normal colored one or a Mutation colored one? (It doesnt matter, I'm just interested in knowing,lol)

The average size for this species is 10 inches (25cm).

They can be housed in breeding cages or aviaries. Red Rump Parakeets can tolerate low temperatures of 40 degrees if natualy aclimatized to it over a period of time but if they are suddenly removed for warmer temps and placed into cold climate they can become ill. I would suggest a minimum breeding cage space of 32 inches long x 20 inches high x 20 inches wide.

Compared to most Parakeets, Red Rumps have a pleasant sounding call which could almost be considered a song. It is much softer than the sounds of Budgies (Parakeets) and can be very melodious and almost chime-like.
    Most wont learn to talk,but there are some that do. They are not as outgoing or charismatic as budgies.

Good luck if you decide to get one
    Thanks Marebear.
    I think all colours of RedRumps are absolutely stunning but I would lova a blue opaline mutaton if I could choose but I think the person who is handrearing and selling them (who I talked about in my 1st post) only has true lutino mutation up for sale - and thats fine too.
    When (if) I get one I'll post pictures and tell everyone how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by krazy4birds
    http://forums.petlovers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29159 post #24

The above link is a picture of My Moustached 'Keet her name is Lakia
    Wow, the markings on Moustached parakeets are really impressive.
    Nice name I may add. Lakia. Is it like, Laki as in Lucky in Hawaiian? If so it fits judging by her story!

I am not sure what you mean about Lakia's name. LOL I just fell in love with the name so she got the honors! She is a gorgeous bird......

i cant remember if i saw Red Rumps Parrots/Parakeets already... searching the net now for some pictures...
    It's a dog eat dog world, Woody, and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

krazy4birds, its just that the word 'Laki' is Hawaiian for lucky. Lakia is like a version of that word and so that name (Lakia) means Lucky in hawaiian.
    And how before you were just saying about how you came to adopt your moustached 'keet and that she was 'lucky' to survive (how she was "at death's door"). So I thought that the name, Lakia fits her perfectly because it means 'lucky' and she was lucky to survive and find a nice home!