Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banfield vet clinic(petsmart) good or bad?

Banfield vet clinic(petsmart) good or bad?

hi all , considering switching my pets over to banfield due to the savings in cost and the friendliness. wondered if anyone has any experience with these clinics? are they as professional as a normal vet clinic, and are the capable of doing anything another clinic does?
    thanks Karen

tiffers is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Friendliness?! ...I've never heard that and Banfield used in the same sentence. Really, I'm being serious.

I've heard a good bunch of terrible things about the Banfield here. But, that's employee's poor choices and being in the field, you hear more than the public will. Also, they screwed me out of a TON of money when I signed up for that Wellness Plan. Yeah, it is a great idea. I had Chica's Heartworm Treatment put pn it and saved a ton, however...they'll find a way to stick you in the end. It is a contract, you can't just 'not want the plan anymore'. They won't tell you that up front, either.

I'll never take my pets back to them, not only do I work at a different clinic, but the service and experiences I recieved from them was not the best I've seen, but it wasn't the worst either.

It may also interest you to know that Banfield is a franchise. You're not paying for good, down to earth people, you're paying for medical care. It's all up to you as to what you look for in a vet as to if Banfield would be a good choice for you. Me, I'd rather sit down with my doctor and discuss all my options and have that 'small town charm' kind of thing. You won't get that at Banfield.

Whats Banfield?

Is it like the Sears of vet clinics or something?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by katiem
    Whats Banfield?
    Banfield is a franchise clinic run by corporates and is only located within PetSmart stores. They rent the space from PetSmart. They are not run by the doctor like most clinics. They're very up to speed and high-tech, and you'd better be ready to pay for that, too.

I work for Petsmart and I would never recommend to anyone to use them....I've seen them milk people out of more money that was such a waste and ours in particular I don't think the vet is worth a damn...Every dog she sees she says their under weight when their not and then tries to sell them some prescription diet and whenever they do a surgery they leave the blinds open so everyone in the store can see it when they walk by!
    R.I.P Nina and Kujo, You'll be in our hearts and souls forever!

...when I worked at Petsmart, the vet at the time also tried to sell the food to every client. Not every dog on this planet needs a prescription diet, I'm sorry! ...but, in clinics like Banfield, the doctor does what the CEO says, not what he wants.

Evey Guest
    I went once, and will never go back. We had just moved and I had 3 animals due for their yearlies. While the cost was well below any other time I had taken them to a regular vet the clinic was filthy dirty, the tech was downright rude, and the vet was unable to answer any of the questions that I asked. Now, I suppose it could have been "one of those days", but I suspect not.

My dogs do better when they are taken care of by the same people all the time. You never see the same employees twice at most big box stores.

i personally have never had a problem with banfield but thats here in oregon, and if we ever have a problem theres a big pet hosipital not to far
    My Budster!!!

We're pregnant! Due in March Ultrasound

So you all are saying I can go there for my routine stuff, like shots but be prepared for a hard sell on the other stuff.
    <><><><><><><><>

Not everybody loves your dog. Leash it.

Yeah, they really operate as a business model first and an animal-loving one second.

Their goal: to make as much money as possible (and also give your animal the best possible care). its not that they are bad vets, but they are a business just like any other vet . . . more so because they are a chain, and a well-known one at that.

They see so many clients its hard to establish a patient-doctor relationship with anyone too.
    9.6 million euthanized in US shelters every year.
    It doesn't have to be this way . . .
    Please spay and neuter.
    Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCtyCa
    So you all are saying I can go there for my routine stuff, like shots but be prepared for a hard sell on the other stuff.
    It's not just the hard sell. Their customer service always sucks. They all have top of the line stuff, but that doesn't mean they all know how to use it correctly. The Banfields around here, I've seen nothing but horrible things coming out of them, and while I was at PetsMart...there was quite a bit of lawsuits making their way towards them. It's totally a personal preference. They're DVM's, too. But...do you want a doctor that cares first and talks money later...or do you want one that only talks money?

Ban Banfield (Nationwide)

As a consumer dispute resolution counselor, hereís what I advise with regard to Banfield if you want to get resolution and possibly compensation for your Banfield billing and animal care experiences:

1. Join in on one of the THREE class action lawsuits that are being considered or in preparation against Banfield Pet Hospitals by going to the law firmsí websites and listing your complaints. Definition of a class action can be found at: http://www.claiminformation.com/classactions.htm The more people that sign-up, the greater the resolution and possibility that youíll be compensated for your emotional distress down the road. The law firms are as follows:

http://www.schneiderwallace.com/Prac...assActions.htm
    Once there clink on "Inquire About Your Potential Case" and fill out the online form giving specific details of your problems regarding Banfield. Please, make sure that you include either your phone number or send them an email on the link within the "Inquire" link.

http://www.price-law.com/CM/FSDP/Pra...ss-Actions.asp
    Complete the online form outlining your experiences.

http://www.barronberry.com/CM/Custom/Contact.asp
    Complete the online form outlining your experiences.

Please, make sure that you share your experiences regarding billing issues, pet care (or lack therefore of), names of staff, location of hospitals and if you've ever written to the corporate offices and if so, what was the response if any. Remember, the more people that join the class action lawsuits, the greater the chances of resolution and restitution (financial compensation for your losses and emotional distress).

2. Go to www.ftc.gov (Federal Trade Commission) and file a very quick online complaint. Make sure that you give any contract numbers, names of staff, address of the hospital that you used, leave out unnecessary details and get to the point (short and sweet) and name the CEO as the contact person: Dr. Scott Campbell, CEO, Banfield, The Pet Hospital, 8000 NE Tillamook
    Portland, OR 97213. 800-838-6738 Fax 866-477-5120 email: scott.campbell@banfield.net The FTC will issue fines if they receive enough complaints.

3. Google your stateís Governorís Office or Attorney Generalís Office of Consumer Affairs and file a complaint. Most will allow you to do this online. Itís quick and easy just include specific names, addresses, dates, details of problems (short and to the point) contract numbers, if any, and your contact information. Consumer Affairs will issue fines if they receive enough complaints.

4. Contact the American Association of Veterinary State Boards by calling 1-877-698-8482 or http://www.aavsb.org/ContactUs/ContactUs.aspx and ask them for the website, phone number and/or address for the regulatory board for your state, then file a complaint against Banfieldís license in that state.

5. Write directly to the CEO of Banfield (or at least print and copy all of your complaints to all of the agencies above and mail a copy to: Dr. Scott Campbell, CEO, Banfield, The Pet Hospital, 8000 NE Tillamook Portland, OR 97213 Phone 800-838-6738 Fax 866-477-5120 email: scott.campbell@banfield.net VP of Operations direct line 503-922-5244 fax 503-922-6244.

6. Post these instructions on every complaint forum and website mentioning Banfield that you can find on Google.

7. Remember thereís strength in numbers. If youíre not going to take the time to file a complaint then donít take the time to post a complaint. Change only comes through efforts to make change.

8. Contact the CEO of PetSmart and let them know that youíll NOT shop PetSmart until they kick Banfield to the curb. They are separate companies but who would want to support a store that allows another business to operate using such bad business practices while being inside their stores? Contact: Philip L. Francis, CEO, PetSmart, Inc., 19601 N. 27th Ave, Phoenix AZ 85027, phone 623-580-6100.

I recently signed my 2 doggies with their wellness plan. I think it really depends on the locations and the vet they have. Everyone at my banfield was nice. Vets were nice also. I went there total of like 3 times past few months and I actually saw same vet techs and also you can request which Vet to see. My location had 2 vets and I have seen both of them and they seem like caring Vets. One of the Vet that we saw recently changed her job to banfield and she also mentioned that her old job had 10+year old equipments when this banfield had top of the line equipments. Better equipments means better diagnosis?
    Anyhow I recently used the wellness plan for teeth cleaning and they called to confirm the appointment and after we picked up tigger from there, they also called next day to check and see how tigger was doing. Only funny thing was 2nd person called an hour later again to ask the same questions.
    Other than that Im happy with my banfield.

Just like doctors for me and you, you shouldnt just rely on your dog's vet to tell you all the informations but you should prepare some question to ask to them also.
    Last edited by happyday7; 07-21-2008 at 04:08 PM.

I have been taking my yorkie there for over a year now and I have never had a problem and they have never tried to sell me anything except the heartworm and flea control. They are very friendly and answers all my questions when I am there and when I call and most importantly they all enjoying seeing the animals come in they all interact with the animals.