Thread: Pomegranate seeds?

Pomegranate seeds?

For some really weird reason, Mitsukai likes odd foods. I know he likes celery. I found that out after he got into the potato salad. And picked out all the celery he could find. But not the turkey bits my husband's grandma puts in it.

I also found out the other day that he likes pomegranate seeds. I was eating one myself and a few seeds fell on the floor. He ran in, grabbed one, and ran off. Are they okay for him to have? He really loves them. Every time I drop one, he snatches it up.

Maybe he's just a weird cat. He'll roll onto his back for belly rubs and jump up on my lap so he can lick my face all over. He kind of fetches... Sometimes he doesn't bring the toys back though.
    Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat. - Mark Twain

With their qualities of cleanliness, discretion, affection, patience, dignity, and courage, how many of us, I ask you, would be capable of becoming cats? - Fernand Mery Her Majesty the Cat

Yes. I do love my pets as much as you love your child. I do know the love of a mother.

Hmm . . . I don't know specifically about pomogranate seeds or celery, but in general its a good idea to let a cat eat only the cat food he is accustomed to.
    The reason is threefold.

1. Cats have very sensitive pH balances in their digestive systems. Too much of a food that is not balanced for cats, is a cheap food, or when a cat's diet abruptly changes, the pH balance is thrown off, evnetually causing crystals in the bladder, which leads to UTI's, bladder crystals, and urinary blockages, even bladder stones.

2. Some foods which are fine for humans are toxic to other animals in large amounts. Although you might not notice a change in the animal (say when you feed grapes every once in awhile to a dog), although no change is detected, the toxins build up and damage the liver and kidneys slowly. This is of course not true of most foods, but you always want to be careful; you'd be surprised what weird things cats and dogs have natural intolerances to.

3. In general, feeding certain types of human foods may offset the natural health balance of his diet, cause digestive issues, diarrhea or constipation, and on top of that, your cat may have an allergy to something that you'd never even realize. These are all only possibilities, but I'd do some research. There are many types of human foods, meats and vegetables, which are healthy for cats which your cat might love.
    9.6 million euthanized in US shelters every year.
    It doesn't have to be this way . . .
    Please spay and neuter.
    Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die.

I already PMed someone to get the information I needed. Besides which, Mitsukai only gets it as a treat, just like all my kittens get cat treats and milk for treats(as well as bits of turkey here or there). He's just the only one weird enough to go for little bits of celery and pomegranate seeds that fall on the floor. I found out the other day that he'll even pick at corn if given the chance.
    Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat. - Mark Twain

With their qualities of cleanliness, discretion, affection, patience, dignity, and courage, how many of us, I ask you, would be capable of becoming cats? - Fernand Mery Her Majesty the Cat

Yes. I do love my pets as much as you love your child. I do know the love of a mother.