Thread: Can Rabbits transmit Parvo?

Can Rabbits transmit Parvo?

For about a week or two we had a wild rabbit in our yard. We just brought home a new lab puppy and she uses the yard for the bathroom. Can rabbits transmit parvo? Just want to make sure, I cant find anything that confirms this, but i thought I would ask to be on the safe side. Thanks!

It's possible they could track it in from other dogs in the neighborhood, over grass, etc, but they do not carry parvo as a host. Parvo can live up to 1 year in the soil, so I wouldn't take chances.
    You can think that I'm wrong, but don't stop thinking.
    - House

tiffers is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Parvo actually lives a lot longer than a year, but no rabbits aren't hosts. It only affects dogs. But, I agree...it could have been carried in by the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
    It's possible they could track it in from other dogs in the neighborhood, over grass, etc, but they do not carry parvo as a host. Parvo can live up to 1 year in the soil, so I wouldn't take chances.
    Parvo can live up to 7 years anywhere and so far they have studied and 7 years is what they know of so far so it can actually live anywhere for at least 7 years but no one knows for how long it actually lives. Now the only thing that can kill parvo is bleach but if you spray it in your yard you'll have to do treatments like every 2 days to keep it gone, a dog 2 years and older can not get parvo but if they are around another animal with parvo they will carry the virus (they will not get sick from the virus. They will not have parvo.) but they do carry the virus and can give it to other pets especially dogs under 2 years of age.