Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Help! Bleeding in Female Cat

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    89

    Exclamation Help! Bleeding in Female Cat

    For about two weeks now I've been feeding a female stray cat that arrived at my house. This past weekend I noticed she was bleeding from her "female part" area, and it was still going on this morning. She may be pregnant, but I'm not 100% sure. There's a male cat following her around, but she is rejecting him. If she were pregnant, wouldn't male cats be leaving her alone? Despite the bleeding, she is not acting like anything is bothering her. Her appetite is good, and she is active and playful. Help! What could be going on here? I can't afford a vet at the moment. I don't want to get too attached to this stray because if something is seriously wrong, I don't want to end up losing her. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4
    Well, it could actually just be a normal heating cycle for her. And if the Tom is still following her, she probably isn't pregnant...it's very rare that males want anything to do with a pregnant female. Or she may have Nymphomania where the queen has irregular heat cycles. Usually it's not deadly but it's good to get it taken care of so that it doesn't do harm to her. Or you could also try and spay her after her heat, maybe they could treat any problem while they do this. Overall I think she'll be all right but it wouldn't hurt to spay. I hope everything goes okay. And good luck, I'm sure it'll be fine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    in the mountains
    Posts
    11,751
    Hurray for you for taking an interest in this poor little stray.

    She is probably in heat. Cats can get pregnant by more than one tom during a heat cycle. (meaning yes, she can have all one litter with different fathers)The best thing to do is to trap her,asap bring her in to be spayed, tested for disease and vaccinated.

    Call around to the veterinary practices in your area and see if any of them have a policy about discounts for people who help strays. You might be pleasantly surprised. If she turns out healthy, you have yourself a cat! If she has Feline Leukemia or FIV (immunodeficiency, feline aids) or other ultimately fatal and communicable disease you will have some hard decisions to make.

    The other alternative is to trap her and take her to a local shelter.

    If you leave things as they are, you will soon have a stray cat AND kittens to contend with.

    But I want to stress again, bless you for wanting to help this cat.

  4. #4
    phillydogs Guest
    I would definitely look into low cost spay/neuter programs in your area. Check with the local SPCA or humane society. She could have a uterine infection or some other problem and needs to be seen by a vet.

    Also, most of the time you can turn her in as a stray to a shelter and say you want to adopt her if no one claims her after the holding period. Then adopt her, letting them spay her and give her the vaccinations she needs (usually included in the adoption fee) and you're good to go.

    God bless you for taking the stray in, but if you don't have the means to take care of her, you have to have another alternative for her.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    33
    Is she spayed?
    My first thought is that she is in heat or just past it. She may just be shedding the lining of the uterus because she didn't get pregnant. But only a vet visit can tell you for sure.
    You should have her spayed, even if you have to trap her. Contact Pet Assistance Foundation, your vet can help you with that. They can refer you to a vet who is willing to spay/neuter at a reduced price.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    89
    Thanks to all who responded. The cat has stopped bleeding for now and taking a better look at her, I don't think she's pregnant. When she first came to me she wouldn't stop eating, so I thought she might be pregnant, but now her eating habits are more normal. It must've just been that the poor thing hadn't had a good meal in so long that she was taking all she could get. She's very affectionate, friendly and funny, so getting her to a vet should be no problem, and that's just what I've decided to do as soon as my husband gets his next paycheck (we just finished paying up a few thousand to Uncle Sam). I do want her to be spayed and have a complete check-up to see if there are any major problems. She's adorable, and I would like to save her from being in the streets and give her a good life if her health allows it. Overall she seems to be a happy, active cat, and hopefully we can give each other love and companionship for a good while to come.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Boyne City MI
    Posts
    374

    You've made this kitty's life better!

    I'm glad that you don't want to her to have to live her life on the streets. Both of my cats are rescues. Morris was adopted from the humane society three yrs. ago & I took Shadow in when she was only four weeks old, she had been abandoned in a driveway by herself. Without her mama or siblings, poor thing. If I hadn't taken her in she might have been left to fend for herself or dumped at the humane society. It feels good to rescue a cat in need. Have you come up with a name for her? Well good luck & let us know how it goes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    in the mountains
    Posts
    11,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Tootsieangel
    Thanks to all who responded. The cat has stopped bleeding for now and taking a better look at her, I don't think she's pregnant. When she first came to me she wouldn't stop eating, so I thought she might be pregnant, but now her eating habits are more normal. It must've just been that the poor thing hadn't had a good meal in so long that she was taking all she could get. She's very affectionate, friendly and funny, so getting her to a vet should be no problem, and that's just what I've decided to do as soon as my husband gets his next paycheck (we just finished paying up a few thousand to Uncle Sam). I do want her to be spayed and have a complete check-up to see if there are any major problems. She's adorable, and I would like to save her from being in the streets and give her a good life if her health allows it. Overall she seems to be a happy, active cat, and hopefully we can give each other love and companionship for a good while to come.
    Hurray for you!!!!!!

    My cats are all rescues of one sort or another too, and always have been. Thank you for adopting this cat. What's her name?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    628
    Hi Tootsiangel It's so nice to hear stories like this. I have nine cats and they're all rescue cats. Bobo was rescued from a dumpster. Somebody had put him in a box and tied it so he couldn't escape. Thank God I went o throw my trash away and heard him crying. I climbed into the dumpster which was no easy task and got him. He is now 12 years old and the love of my life. Olivia came to my door one day. She was about 8 weels old and dirty covered with fleas. I brought her to the vet and had her checked out and cleaned. She is now 3 1/2 years old old both, Bobo and Oliva are tuxies. Last Christmas a friend of mine told me he was feeding a cat who was left in a house after his owner had died. He told me he was feeding this cat once a week for over a year. The house where he was living was going up for auction by the state so God only knows what would have happened to him. So enter Cody. He is a red tabby and sweet as they come. These three are my most dramatic rescues, The rest of my cats came from shelters. I don't regret taking in any of my cats. I love them all.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    202
    um she was just in heat... geez...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    89
    No name yet for kitty. I definitely need to come up with one soon, and any suggestions will be appreciated. This morning she did something so cute. After she came inside for a while, she jumped on my lap while I was sitting in front of the mirror putting on my make-up. I joked that she wanted me to make up her little face too. LOL!
    A couple more questions: Assuming the bleeding was in fact due to her being in heat, how long does it usually (bleeding) last? Also, I've heard that when switching pets to a new food, it should be done gradually to avoid an upset stomach. Is it okay to give her different flavors/varieties of the same brand of canned food, though, or should I stick to just one? Thanks to everyone.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13
    Cats do not bleed as dogs do while in heat. If she was passing blood from her vulva, she could have had kittens, or lost them. Bleeding can also be a sign of an infected uterus. Is she still having any type of discharge? I would get her vet checked as soon as you can to rule out any serious problems.
    I'm glad she has someone to watch over her, and give her a new home!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    in the mountains
    Posts
    11,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Tootsieangel
    Also, I've heard that when switching pets to a new food, it should be done gradually to avoid an upset stomach. Is it okay to give her different flavors/varieties of the same brand of canned food, though, or should I stick to just one? Thanks to everyone.
    Some cats like variety, some cats prefer to eat the same food day after day after day. I suggest starting with one brand and one or two flavors Because of all the recall stuff going on (new recalls every day still) I recommend that you read the labels and don't buy anything with wheat or rice gluten, wet or dry. Are you talking about canned food? If she continues to eat one or two flavors, good. If you feel you want to branch out, gradually introduce new flavors of the same brand. However, be careful, if she's gobbles up a particular flavor, so you know it's a favorite, but go slow with it. Some can cause diahrrea, esp too much at once. My cats have a problem with whitefish flavors.

    Switching foods a lot can create a picky eater, and let me tell you a picky eater is a pain in the neck!

    Some people prefer to "free feed" meaning leaving dry food available at all times. I have never done this, for one reason I've always had at least one cat who would gorge and get too heavy and for another, I don't think it's best. Other cats self regulate. If you decide to free feed watch her carefully and if she throws up a lot (the ol' scarf and barf) you might want to rethink the free feed. Personally I think regularly scheduled feedings are better and healthier.

    I suggest two feeding times a day, morning and evening. It can be bonding time for you and the cat, too. If you leave dry food out, throw away any uneaten food at the end of each day, it gets stale. Always use clean cat food dishes for both dry and canned. Even dry food leaves a residue that turns rancid. I don't use soap to clean the cats dishes, just very hot water.

    A tip: don't feed her immediately upon rising in the morning. Make her wait a while. Put on your coffee, clean her litter box, take your shower. Then feed her. She will learn that you getting out of bed does not mean breakfast. This way she won't be waking you up to eat, at ungodly hours.

    Fresh water, changed every day, is a must. I recommend more than one water bowl, to encourage her to drink as much as possible. Maybe one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom, at least. Or don't be surprised if she prefers to drink out of a sink, from a stream of running water!

    Stainless steel or glass is better than plastic. Don't use those glass bowls with painted pictures on them. Get some clear glass pyrex bowls or something, if you are going to use glass.

    I'm glad to hear you are bringing her in the house. Do you plan to try to keep her inside always? Indoor cats live longer healthier lives, and once she's spayed she may prefer to stay inside. However there are some cats that just will NOT be turned into indoor cats.

    To name her just watch her. Play with her, talk to her. What colors is she? Does she remind you of anyone or anything in particular? My cats always seemed to let me know what their names are somehow.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by dachshundlvr
    Cats do not bleed as dogs do while in heat. If she was passing blood from her vulva, she could have had kittens, or lost them. Bleeding can also be a sign of an infected uterus. Is she still having any type of discharge? I would get her vet checked as soon as you can to rule out any serious problems.
    I'm glad she has someone to watch over her, and give her a new home!
    I did find alot of conflicting information on this subject before coming to this site; some people say what you did, others are sure some female cats do bleed. I guess only a vet can tell me for sure. So far she's doing well, though. The funny thing is, years ago I had female dogs who weren't spayed, and I never noticed any bleeding in them.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by special
    Some cats like variety, some cats prefer to eat the same food day after day after day. I suggest starting with one brand and one or two flavors Because of all the recall stuff going on (new recalls every day still) I recommend that you read the labels and don't buy anything with wheat or rice gluten, wet or dry. Are you talking about canned food? If she continues to eat one or two flavors, good. If you feel you want to branch out, gradually introduce new flavors of the same brand. However, be careful, if she's gobbles up a particular flavor, so you know it's a favorite, but go slow with it. Some can cause diahrrea, esp too much at once. My cats have a problem with whitefish flavors.

    Switching foods a lot can create a picky eater, and let me tell you a picky eater is a pain in the neck!

    Some people prefer to "free feed" meaning leaving dry food available at all times. I have never done this, for one reason I've always had at least one cat who would gorge and get too heavy and for another, I don't think it's best. Other cats self regulate. If you decide to free feed watch her carefully and if she throws up a lot (the ol' scarf and barf) you might want to rethink the free feed. Personally I think regularly scheduled feedings are better and healthier.

    I suggest two feeding times a day, morning and evening. It can be bonding time for you and the cat, too. If you leave dry food out, throw away any uneaten food at the end of each day, it gets stale. Always use clean cat food dishes for both dry and canned. Even dry food leaves a residue that turns rancid. I don't use soap to clean the cats dishes, just very hot water.

    A tip: don't feed her immediately upon rising in the morning. Make her wait a while. Put on your coffee, clean her litter box, take your shower. Then feed her. She will learn that you getting out of bed does not mean breakfast. This way she won't be waking you up to eat, at ungodly hours.

    Fresh water, changed every day, is a must. I recommend more than one water bowl, to encourage her to drink as much as possible. Maybe one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom, at least. Or don't be surprised if she prefers to drink out of a sink, from a stream of running water!

    Stainless steel or glass is better than plastic. Don't use those glass bowls with painted pictures on them. Get some clear glass pyrex bowls or something, if you are going to use glass.

    I'm glad to hear you are bringing her in the house. Do you plan to try to keep her inside always? Indoor cats live longer healthier lives, and once she's spayed she may prefer to stay inside. However there are some cats that just will NOT be turned into indoor cats.

    To name her just watch her. Play with her, talk to her. What colors is she? Does she remind you of anyone or anything in particular? My cats always seemed to let me know what their names are somehow.
    Thanks for all your information. I usually come up with pet names pretty easily, but this time, for some reason nothing sticks. I'm thinking of maybe calling her Shadow, since she always wants to follow me around everywhere. I'm not sure, we'll see... I would like to keep her as mostly an indoor cat once she's spayed and treated for fleas, and let her venture out only when I'm nearby.

Similar Threads

  1. bleeding
    By shiros mom in forum Health Chat (Dogs)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 07:30 AM
  2. Leg injury...bleeding?
    By segatacolink in forum Health Chat (Cats)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM
  3. bleeding bettas
    By bettababe in forum Question & Answer! (Fish & Reptiles)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 01:22 PM
  4. female finch wont stop chasing other female
    By finchlover in forum Question & Answer! (Birds)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 05:18 PM
  5. Bleeding
    By Kristina in forum Health Chat (Birds)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 08:44 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •