Thread: Do Possums carry Rabies? Dog Related

Do Possums carry Rabies? Dog Related

My Dog has killed 2 huge Possums this week. Every night you can hear him barking at them at like 3 am in the morning trying to get at them.

Does anyone know if Possums carry any type of rabies or diseases that i have should concerened about?
    SitStayFetch
    Dog Obedience Training

Yes possums can carry rabies, any warm blooded animal can carry it. If your dog has had a rabies shot I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the possums didn't actually bite him I wouldn't worry too much either as its passed in the saliva and as far as I know can't be passed through blood, all though I'm not totally certain.Is there a way you can keep him from killing them?
    Missing being a pet parent, but will be again some day when the situation allows it...Rest in Peace Willow my aussie girl-sept.19 2010, sweet Satin bunny Oct 1999-Jan 10 2006 and Tinsle chinchilla 2004-Jan.23 2008, Shiloh beagle dog June 23rd 1994-April 17th 2008, Grace chinchilla Dec. 26th 2003 -July 2008, Kit chihuahua Dec 1997-2009.

He has had his rabies shots ,but the only way to keep him away from the Possums are to keep him in the house at night. It seems like he is alway's searching for them at night. We have a lot of trees in the backyard and in the area. He is alway's going under the trees at night looking up the trees.
    SitStayFetch
    Dog Obedience Training

outdoor only?

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa24
    He has had his rabies shots ,but the only way to keep him away from the Possums are to keep him in the house at night. It seems like he is alway's searching for them at night. We have a lot of trees in the backyard and in the area. He is alway's going under the trees at night looking up the trees.
    Is he strickly an outdoor dog? If so, maybe consider a dog run of sorts. I know easier said then done sometimes, but that might keep him centralized during the evening hours. Set up an area where you can have a dog house, etc. Or maybe if you have a garage he could have a spot there with a cozy pillow to sleep on for the night. Good luck.

Yea he is a outdoor dog.
    SitStayFetch
    Dog Obedience Training

Is there anyway you could keep him in the house at night? He definatly would be looking for them at night because they are nocturnal. My main concern with possums is if they happen to be rabid and attack they could hurt your dog, however its probably pretty unlikely for that to happen. I guess for the most part he'll probably just end up keeping the possums away and you'll have to deal with his barking and getting rid of the dead possums, but they will likely learn to keep away.
    Missing being a pet parent, but will be again some day when the situation allows it...Rest in Peace Willow my aussie girl-sept.19 2010, sweet Satin bunny Oct 1999-Jan 10 2006 and Tinsle chinchilla 2004-Jan.23 2008, Shiloh beagle dog June 23rd 1994-April 17th 2008, Grace chinchilla Dec. 26th 2003 -July 2008, Kit chihuahua Dec 1997-2009.

Im going to keep him in the house for now. It's to the point where every night he is searching for possums. He goes under the trees and looks up the tree to see if he can spot any Possums. If he does he starts Barking like crazy trying to get at them.
    SitStayFetch
    Dog Obedience Training

Possoms and rabies

I have always heard that possums can carry rabies but I am reading otherwise.
    Who knows?

I just found a baby possum. She is fairly docile.
    Anyone out there who can give me good tips on how to take care of, let me know. Thanks.

Possoms and rabies

I have always heard that possums can carry rabies but I am reading otherwise.
    Who knows? I just found a baby possum. Anyone out there have experience with raising these animals, I would like to hear from you for tips. Thanks.

Actually, possums are very unlikely to carry rabies, because their extremely low body temperature does not allow the virus to survive.

http://www.opossumsocietyus.org/freq...arry%20rabies?

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/opossum.htm

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Wild-Anim...rd-opposum.htm
    You can think that I'm wrong, but don't stop thinking.
    - House

Quote Originally Posted by donda48
    I just found a baby possum. Anyone out there have experience with raising these animals, I would like to hear from you for tips. Thanks.
    If the possom is eating on it's own, turn it loose. It's a wild animal, and it belongs in the wild, no matter how cute it is. If it's unable to care for it's self, turn it over to the nearest Wildlife rescue, they know how to rehab these animals so that they can safely return to the wild. You're not doing it any favors by "taming" it.

I agree if it can eat on its own release it, if it can't it needs to go to a rehabber. It is unusual for even a baby wild animal to be docile, they should still be scared at least (possums should normally play possum even as babies unless this little one is not caring for its self). He really should go to a rehabber. How big is he and is he fully furred and everything?

Possums can't contract rabies because they are marsupials.
    I raised a baby possum in Florida using Esbilac (puppy milk replacer) then turned it over to a sanctuary.

Shes right Possums do not carry rabies I learned that from a presentation. My DAd had to have surgery because he fell of his bike while biking the Boxer that we used to have because she started chasing it and he thought it had Rabies so he held on the leash and was draged. He had to go through surgery in the knee.