Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My cat won't shut up!!

My cat won't shut up!!

Hello all.

OK, this has went from fairly "cute" to an almost sanity-troubling issue. My male cat of 3 has suddenly just started miaowing ALL the time. He cries to get in - I let him in. Not even 60 seconds later he's crying to get out again.

Here's a more accurate description:

2:20 am - cries to get out.

2:50 am - cries to get in.

3:15 am - cries to get out.

4.00 am - cries to get in.

He's had the snip so I don't think it's a mating thing or anything like that, and I noticed my other male cat had fleas so I bought expensive flea drops from the vet and used it on both (maybe fleas were driving him nuts?) but still nothing.

He still eats, he still sleeps, he still purrs - but 99% of the time he's not doing the first two he's just walking around miaowing.

Anybody heard of this sort of thing before?

HELP!!!

Evey Guest
    You need to install a kitty door. Then he can come & go as he pleases without having to ask for your help. They have really nice ones these days, some even only open for your specific cat.

Hmmm, na. I've got a pretty good quality door that I don't fancy knocking a hole in. Plus, my cats are too dim to learn....!

I know this may sound mean to some, but I have a cat that will meow and scratch wanting in my room at night. When I have let him in, he just jumps all over the place and wanting to play. So I have had to put both my cats in a bedroom and keep them in there at night. I put them in last thing and get them out first thing in the morning. Do you have somewhere you could put him?

Quote Originally Posted by Greedo
    Hello all.

OK, this has went from fairly "cute" to an almost sanity-troubling issue. My male cat of 3 has suddenly just started miaowing ALL the time. He cries to get in - I let him in. Not even 60 seconds later he's crying to get out again.

He's had the snip so I don't think it's a mating thing or anything like that, and I noticed my other male cat had fleas so I bought expensive flea drops from the vet and used it on both (maybe fleas were driving him nuts?) but still nothing.

He still eats, he still sleeps, he still purrs - but 99% of the time he's not doing the first two he's just walking around miaowing.

HELP!!!

Sounds to me like he has you well trained, if you are actually getting up in the middle of the night to let him in and out. Is his behavior normal during the day? Sudden incessant crying can also be an indication of many health problems, including seizures. I am not a vet but I recommend a visit to yours, to rule out any problems.

Otherwise retraining is in order. Play his favorite interactive games with him before you go to bed, lots of vigorous exercise will help. Make sure he has access to food, (if you free feed, otherwise make sure you feed him just before you go to bed) fresh water and CLEAN litter box, shut your door and ignore him. If he gets no reaction from you at all, eventually he will find other things to do with his time. But getting him enough attention before you go to bed is your key to success.

Quote Originally Posted by Greedo
    Hello all.

HELP!!!
    One of my cats starts meowwing in the middle of the night if i dont give him enuf atention during the day, which i dont unless im off
    so i just let him hang out on my bed
    u can also throw a few bottle caps on the floor, he will play hockey with those

yeah I feel for you my mom's cat meows constantly! it's tough and I only visit once a week!

tiffers is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    It sounds like he's got you where he wants you. You know, like with puppies, once they start crying and you let them do what they want, they get this mindset "Oh, if I start crying he'll let me do this." Like, children you see. Pets are only children with four legs and a winter coat Your cat doesn't sound "dim" he sounds pretty darn intelligent, actually.

I agree that a cat flap would be the best solution. If you really don't want to put one through your door, you can install them in windows or walls. I've never had to buy a new window pane, would one be expensive? As in you could replace it if you were moving etc. We have cat flaps through two of our doors, it was either that or he scratched the doors to heck.
    emily

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Any similarities in my posts to anyone or anything real is purely coincidental.
    Please do not take anything I type as fact. I also may not be who I say I am, so don't know anything about anything.

Unhappy me too

Quote Originally Posted by marg
    I know this may sound mean to some, but I have a cat that will meow and scratch wanting in my room at night. When I have let him in, he just jumps all over the place and wanting to play. So I have had to put both my cats in a bedroom and keep them in there at night. I put them in last thing and get them out first thing in the morning. Do you have somewhere you could put him?
    i have two 6 month old kittens and i have to keep one in the bathroom at night too. i feel bad but he has way too much energy at night. the girl sleeps with me because she'll claw the door all night if left in the bathroom (and teach the other to do so too). but lately she's learned if she wakes me up early, she gets out of my room, but i just put her in with her brother. i have to get my sleep. she claws all morning at the door but we keep telling her no and leave her there. i hope she gets the hang of it. she drives me crazy.<p> as for the cat meowing at the door...my neighbor's cat is the ugliest little monster and will bite you if you touch her yet she meows/screams at you everytime you walk by to let her in her house.. i never do of course because it's not my door but she is so obnoxious. morning, noon and night she does this in an out. i hope you find a way to stop yours...i just wish i could shove an sock down my neighbor's cat's throat. she has the most annoying meow ever.

Was your cat an inside cat in the begining? I had my cats for about a year and one of them just started going outside about two months ago. He cries constantly to get in and out, he will come to my room or my mothers room scratch on the door and wait for us to open it, cry and began walking a bit then look back to see if we are coming. I dont know what to do to break the habit because cat cries are not pleasant to listen to all the time. I wish you luck because I know what your going through.
    I am a teen mother of two
    Beautifull Persian Cats

Mommy loves you, Blackface and Fluffy!

Does he have any problem urinating? Many times with cats, if there is a medical issue they meow a lot. I would rule that out first and foremost. If not, then I'd have to agree with most everyone else and say he has you trained!
    Jennifer

Proud mommy of
    April - Black Lab Mix
    Tino - American Staffordshire Terrier
    Nemo - DLH
    Phifer - DSH
    Napoleon - DSH
    Doc - Quarter Horse/Arabian

Milkshake's nighttime antics just got to be too much for us. She is now put into what we loosely term "her room" at night when we go to bed. She has her own bed, her litter box, food and water and a window that she can sit in and get fresh air when she wants. She meowed and scratched at the door the first few nights and we just totally ignored her. Now when she goes in, we don't hear anything until the next morning when I get up. She knows the difference between DH getting up and going to work and me getting up to turn on the coffee pot. She waits until she hears me and then she is ready to get out.

I would have the cat vet checked and if nothing is wrong, give him his own room, turn on some white sounds so you don't hear him and in a couple days, he will calm down and get used to the idea that his humans are not going to play into his nighttime games.

Wink My cat wouldnt shut up

Hiya my cat wouldnt shut up and he is annoying i need help can i hav help :P :

I would just keep the cat inside, but that's just me, I guess.
    "If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat." Douglas Adams

"Some people don't understand cat love." -- Ka-mai

Sara: "Well not everyone's as weird about the way they love animals as you are."
    Me: "I don't know how to love any other way!"
    Sara: "And that's what makes you so darn ADORABLE!"