Thread: What can I give my dog who has dry skin?

What can I give my dog who has dry skin?

My dog, Sparky (Shih Tzu) is 3 years old. He scratches himself constantly and occassionally will chew on an area of his skin where it's bothering him, usually around his butt/tail area. He started doing this about a year ago or so. I feel so bad for the dog because he does it during the night too. I rarely see a flea on him. Currently, he is eating Purnia Beneful mixed with Eagle Pack Holistic Select Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meal because I'm changing to a different brand/type of dog food. So, once the Purina Beneful dog food is gone, I'm going to feed him the Eagle Pack Holistic Select Brand. I can't afford the most expensive brand of dog food on the market. Is there anything I can give him that would help him not scratch so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrstn4ptsrc
    My dog, Sparky (Shih Tzu) is 3 years old. He scratches himself constantly and occassionally will chew on an area of his skin where it's bothering him, usually around his butt/tail area. He started doing this about a year ago or so. I feel so bad for the dog because he does it during the night too. I rarely see a flea on him. Currently, he is eating Purnia Beneful mixed with Eagle Pack Holistic Select Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meal because I'm changing to a different brand/type of dog food. So, once the Purina Beneful dog food is gone, I'm going to feed him the Eagle Pack Holistic Select Brand. I can't afford the most expensive brand of dog food on the market. Is there anything I can give him that would help him not scratch so much?
    He will hopefully do better on the better quality food. You can add omega 3fatty acids and an egg here and there as well
    Therese, Patch O' Pits Proud Mom

I agree with Patch. Honestly, I would take him off the Beneful right away. That is most likely the source of your problem as it's an extremely low quality food and contains many known allergins. Continue him on the Eagle pack and see how he does with that. Fish oil or supplements with fish oil are great for the skin and coat. Although you may have to pay a little more for a higher quality food, if it clears up the problems than you won't have to pay for additional supplements and treatments for the itching, bad skin and ear problems that go along with food allergies.
    At good at home remedy to help sooth itchy skin is a baking soda rinse. I wouldn't over shampoo. If he's been recently bathed then just wet him down with water and pour the baking soda rinse over him. Do not rinse off. It works pretty good.
    Good luck.
    Michele
    owned by 2 Newfies, a cocker spaniel and 3 cats.

Hartz also makes a Medicated shampoo that works great at stopping itchy skin.

I agree with the other posters. It may be tied to the food (probably an allergy).
    [Our Dogs: Chelsea - Lab/Sharpei - 8 years old
    Storm - Cane Corso - 6 years old
    Ezri - Beagle - Age Unknown (recent rescue)
    Jacob - German Rottie - RIP October 13, 2005
    Click here for pics: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=614608da6b

Life.....is a series of dogs. - George Carlin

I too, agree with the other posters as well. My best friend has a Shih Tzu and she was going through the same exact problem you are going through and her dog was scratching in almost the same places you're talking about. She had asked me about it I told her it was the dog food.
    "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you" Winnie The Pooh
    Owned by: Bubbers,Helen,and Brando

My dog had the itchy skin and scratched a lot too. I tried a lot of different foods with her before finding one she actually liked and would eat without coaxing. I took her to the vet because of the itching and she prescibed Benadryl for her. It helped a lot and once it relieved the itch and she stopped scratching, the places cleared up. Every now and then, she will begin to scratch again and I watch her for a couple days, then give the Benadryl again if I feel it's necessary. Changing the food is a given, but you might also need something to help stop the itching and give the skin a chance to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by rstowe
    Hartz also makes a Medicated shampoo that works great at stopping itchy skin.

I agree with the other posters. It may be tied to the food (probably an allergy).
    I agree with the others. After switching from Beneful you should see a remarkable improvement.

Just wanted to point out that Hartz is not the best brand of Dog shampoo around. Hartz is cheap for a reason. They use detergents and soaps. Both will agrivate and/or cause dry skin. Your better off going with a higher quality pet shampoo that you can dilute.

Our dog had that problem w/ Purina so we switched to IAMS and he has been great.

try this....

If switching the food doesn't seem to help.... our dog had a similar problem. He had a "hot spot" near the base of his tail, turned out he was allergic to fleas. He was on flea treatment and we didnt see any on him, but that was because the fleas would die when they bit him, but that doesn't mean he didn't get the occasional flea bit from being outside and around other dogs. We had to get a cortizone cream from the vet to clear up the "hot spot".

If the dog is only itch in one area, its most likely NOT the food, because his skin would be itchy all over from a food allergy.

Also, especially since you mentioned he is always going near his tail or butt... is he wormed regularly? Have you had the vet check him for parasites and worms? SOmetimes dogs will pick up parasites or worms out side by eating grass and things, and many dogs will itch their but/ tail region because that is "where it itches", even though the itch my come fro the other side of their tail...

I know quality food is expensive, but having to take the dog to the vet a couple times, adding supplements to cheaper food, buying creams and medications, etc., will add up in time. Plus, the cheaper the food, the more "fillers" and by products it has, and that means you have to feed more of it to your dog to give your dog the nutrients it needs. Keep this in mind: a 20 # bag of cheap food might cost you $10, but a 20# bag of top brand food that may cost $20 will last twice as long, since you are feeding sometimes HALF the amount. Also, the cheap foods are bad because the dog will "eliminate" all the fillers, aka, poop them out. The more fillers, the more food you have to feed, the more poop you have to clean up. A great food is Eukanuba or Nutro. Yes, they cost more, but believe me, your dog and your pooper scooper will thank you. Plus, think of the money you save on supplements and such, since these foods are rich in the fatty and amino acids and vitamin that your dog needs to maintain a healthy coat.

hope this helps!

Diet play important role in making our dog healthy so feed him healthy diet and skin must be cleaned well after each meal. Better share the picture of your dog's dry skin, so it will be easier for us to judge what to recommend.
    World Of Frenchies
    PO Box 524324
    Miami, Florida 33152
    United States
    786-899-8806