Thread: Candles and Birds

Candles and Birds

Hello to all, Me and my wife don't have any birds but have recently been in discussions about candles and birds. You see my wife is a distributor for Mia Bella's gourmet candles. These candles are made from soy, beeswax, plants and veg.material...all natural with no lead,zinc or parrifin. Allthough the company does'nt give out the ingredients we have testimonials from people owning umbrella cockatoos and African gray parrots that burn our candles 2 feet from the cage.
    What are you guys opinions on the subject or has anyone experienced our candles with there birds.

Any info. is appreciated,
    Whitney
    LA.

WWW.SWANSCENTZ.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dlaura is offline I must, I must, I must Supporting Member
    PetLovers.Com Moderator
    I have always heard that you need to be concerned about what the candle wick is made of -- if it is zinc that will cause a problem also. Sorry I am not familiar with your brand of candles.
    ATTITUDE! Life is 10% what happens to one and 90% how one reacts to it!

Carbon monoxide, soot, lead wicks, and oils released into the air are my main concerns regarding burning candles near birds. Soot is caused by burning carbon-based material, like candles, and it is a carcinogen.

If you Google candles and birds and fatal you will find approx. 730,000 horror stories.

Hi dlaura sorry it took so long since I posted but these wicks are 100% cotton.

mynameislola, these candles are all natural, absolutely no carbon monoxide.
    This is a cleaner burning candle, you will never see any black stuff on the top of the jar. As safe as you're perfume. No thanks on the horror stories.

I'm not trying to sell anything here, just trying to get some answers.
    What do you think about these testimonies...sorry so long.

Mia Bella Candles are Exciting Exotic Bird Owners!
    Charlie asked us to share our story with all of you because Bill and I feel there is a whole other aspect to these wonderful candles that some may not know but which was recently a topic of great concern on one of our online candle groups.

We were originally contacted and told about these incredible candles from Terry a friend of ours in Texas that had joined the Mia Bella family. She sent me an email saying “Kellene, I know how you love candles and I have one you have GOT to try! “ She went on to tell of all the wonderful qualities of the candles but ended with the part that really got my attention, “ and I think they would be safe to burn around your birds and new grandbaby ”.

Okay, that got my attention because as a long time exotic bird owner I knew the sometimes fatal dangers of burning toxic candles around birds. Bird owners out there you know about this, and consequently if I burned candles at all they had to be carefully burned only in a part of the house well away from where the birds were kept. How amazing that most of us spent years not giving ourselves the same consideration.

I had lost an Umbrella Cockatoo at three years of age that I had raised from a baby to lead poisoning so toxic products around our birds was a critical issue for me. I had to try these candles and when I received our first one I knew those traditional candle burning restrictions were going to be lifted. Not only was this the best smelling and performing candle we had ever burned but as I researched the information on them I realized this truly was a candle that I felt we could safely burn with our birds. These candles are lead and zinc free. Most people know the ramifications of being exposed to lead but bird owners are also aware of the hazards of being exposed to zinc. These two elements alone are a deadly combination for our birds. Even separately these toxins can have devastating effects on our feathered pets. It also stands to reason that if they are toxic to our birds what are we exposing our selves and loved ones to all in the guise of enhancing our living space. Combine this with the documented health hazards of burning petroleum based candles in your homes and you have the very real basis for every bird owners concern and fears.

Then along came Carmen and Lynn's candles into our life. I don't think either of them realized the impact their candles were going to have on a whole separate population of the country that had been doing without. Bird Owners.

Bill and I have been burning these incredible candles in our home WITH our birds not separate from them for a year now without fear or reservation. My favorite remains Orange Creamsicle, and that fragrance is most often burned in our bedroom within two feet of our two cockatiels, Nicki and Herbie's cage.

This is something I would have never done before being introduced to Mia Bella candles. Our two Umbrella Cockatoos, Parsley, and Scooter are housed both in the living room and Bill's office/sunroom and we have candles burning in both these rooms at all times when we are home. Additionally all of our bird friends are now burning these candles in their homes with their beloved feathered family members.

Everyone was so unanimous in their excitement about having a candle of this unsurpassed quality that they feel they can now safely burn and enjoy in their homes alongside their birds that Bill and I decided to take it a step further and share them with the bird owner community as a whole.

We are proud and steadfast in our belief of the candle that Carmine and Lynn have created and so we took them to the arena of Bird Fairs and Expos. We felt that once bird owners got over the fear and stigma of traditional candles in their homes and opened their homes to our candles that we would be tapping into a huge market of long starved candle lovers. I am pleased to share with you all that we were right. The response has been overwhelming in love and appreciation of our candles. Bill and I simply provide the opportunity for smell and sell and share our own experience and belief as bird owners and those of others that have now made these candles are part of their daily lives.

Doris and Tim Kuhns are two examples of the never-ending fringe benefits that this company and product inspire and success that we have personally had with this venue. We attended a bird fair in an area we had not before been to and as we set up our table a vendor from across the way came over and introduced herself as Doris Kuhns. She said that she loved candles but knew the dangers of mixing them with birds so she and her husband had been developing a “safe” candle in their home for about a year trying to come up with something that had strong fragrance that lasted, and would burn cleaner as well as being safe for bird owners.

Yes, they are a very sharp couple and had already realized the huge untapped market of bird owners in the candle industry. Well, to summarize, Doris spent nearly as much time at our table having fallen in love at first sniff as she did her own that day. Tim quickly realized he didn't have far to look, simply over to our table and there she was asking questions and soaking up all the information like a sponge, and as she later said; her brain going kaching, kaching with the business opportunities. They went home and decided "why should we continue to labor developing a safe candle when we have everything in this candle we have been striving to create and more just waiting for us to tap into this incredible business opportunity and product!" And so she has…

In two months time she has become a very successful distributor and her and Tim have taken over covering the Kansas City area bird shows and expos. Tim has been so impressed with their success and the positive reception these candles have received within the bird community and elsewhere that he has set a goal of a very special trip for Doris of which she is nearly halfway to completing already!

I know for legal purposes Scent-Sations as a company is not in a position to make a definitive claim of safety for birds in the burning of their candles. But speaking from a personal perspective Bill and I and a growing population of Mia Bella Candle burning bird owners will unreservedly say how thankful we are to Carmen and Lynn for putting candles back into our lives in a huge way, and to Bobby and Charlie for having the foresight, experience, and knowledge to see the far reaching business opportunities of one of the most unique and incredible products on the market and having the insight to create an equally unique business in which to market them and share the wealth of both product, and financial potential with all of us.

-Bill and Kellene VanDorn

wickless candles

Hello, my hubby and I just started consulting for scentsy wickless candles. When i asked my friend she said she couldn't because of her bird. My hubby had birds way back when and never heard of it. Now so far my quick research indicates candles with wicks. Ours are electric wax warmers. Please tell me you option on them. I am still doing research and haven't compleatly read everything here, but would love to hear more. Any help or links would be great. Thanks. :-) Kim

sorry, I'm extreamly protective of my feathered angels and I wouldn't give crap, sorry for the word, what the ingredients are- they've everything safe---- I wouldn't trust if you gave me more than a million. If I distributed candles they certainly would be as far from my angels as possible, and if I smelled like them I'd shower and wait a bit before I went and spent time with my flock. Guess you wouldn't have a customer unless you sold zupreem or that type of thing.

Not even sure where to start. I guess I will start by saying that I was at a store and over heard someone say they used Fabreeze in their living room and their birds all died. I know other people that have used it with no problem.

Several years ago on another bird board a guy that posted frequently told all of us that he wouldn’t be back and wanted to offer a warning. He, his wife and two children lived in an apartment and shampooed their carpet. Without replaying the details they lost their birds after the use of a common steam carpet cleaner. I owned the same machine and used the same name brand cleaner, used it many times with no problems.

I can go on with a number of sad stories and these are just two examples off the top of my head. Why do these things happen to some yet don’t seem to effect someone else the same way? I DON’T KNOW.

I was with my sister a couple years ago when she came to town and she wanted to go to Yankee Candle. I fell in love with their accessories as much as the candles. As I was explaining to the clerk why I would never burn candles she said she had never heard of that and she was sure that their candles were ok and wouldn’t cause problems. Another clerk came from the back room and heard the tale end of our conversation. She came up alarmed and asked if I had birds that died. I explained the conversation to her, and she wished she had known the dangers of candles several years ago because she lost her beloved bird after burning a candle. For the record I never asked if it was a Yankee or if the wick was cotton, zink or lead. I asked exactly what type of wax was used in the Yankee candles and she said she didn’t know for sure. I looked her in the eye and said “so your willing to promise me that I will not loose 10,000 dollars worth of birds and you don’t even know what kind of wax is used”? She said I was right and said I should do more research. That is exactly what I did. I searched and searched the Internet. I called and talked with one of the teaching doctors at the Kansas State University Veterinary Hospital. I called veterinary doctors I have worked for and called three doctors I have taken my pets to in the past ten years. I also called a number of veterinary clinics that stated they were avian vets in the Colorado Springs area. NOT ONE OF THEM COULD answer that question definitively. Is it the wick, the wax or the scent????? Oh, my husband also worked with a number of vets associated to Zupreem food and we asked them too.
    Not sure who else to ask.

I also thought there had to be a way to safely enjoy candles without putting my birds at risk. At one of the bird shows in KC that was spoken about I purchased one of the air filters they demonstrated several years ago. It was one that during the demonstration showed someone pour straight ammonia on a cloth and put it against the intake of the air filter. In seconds you could cover your face with the cloth without a trace of odor. Thinking it had to be a trick we ran out, bought ammonia and a rag and went back to try it for ourselves. We got the same result and ended up buying the air filter on the spot. (800 dollars) We have since purchased a second for the basement. We also have an attic fan powerful enough to clear out smoke from the house in about 40 seconds.

About 14 months ago I decided to buy a “woodwick”soy candle, I love the sound of a fireplace and we burned it on the head of our bed while we read before bedtime. I sat the air filter in the hallway just outside our door. For Christmas I made candles as gifts. Right after Christmas I found a wax that far exceeds the soy candles everyone is so crazy about and it holds (and releases)12% more scent than soy wax and the best part is it has about the same consistency as soy . It is called coconut wax. I also found out that Yankee candle uses 30 soy and 70 paraffin wax in their candles. (I took a couple of Yankee candles and melted them down putting them in my own containers next to my mixture of 70/30 then gave them to family and friends and asked them to tell me which was which. They couldn’t tell, period. Paraffin can be obtained from petroleum or can be a synthetic paraffin. Since I can’t tell the difference and don’t KNOW the difference and generally the packaging doesn’t say, I tend to stay away from using it.

I have since started selling my candles because I know of several die hard Yankee fans out there that flat told me if my candle was on the market they would buy it. Yes I too MAKE AND SELL CANDLES, and I burn them around my birds.

I also know that there are many avian lovers out there doing without candles. It would be easy for me to honestly say I burn my candles with absolutely no problem.

So why do I include a warning on the bottom of my candle that says NOT TO BURN AROUND BIRDS? Several reasons.

Sooner or later someone will burn a candle and a bird with die. It may or may not be because of the candle but I can’t afford a law suit. I can’t prove that my candles won’t cause problems for any bird out there. With all the negative information about candles that IS what it would come down to, having to prove my candle didn’t kill their bird. No matter what the bird dies or how the law suit turns out I will get some very negative publicity.

Remember the air filters I said we have? They run 24-7 and the people I sell to most likely don’t have one, (even a cheap one).

When I make the candles I have a window open just on the other side of where I stand, and the attic fan is pulling air out and away from my birds.

I honest to God believe that the wicks and wax I use cause no problems because I have burned them in the same room with my birds, unscented and later scented. I also believe that 99% of the scents I use are also harmless however there are 3-5 that I will not order nor will I allow anywhere on my property. The one that comes to mind is cedar. I have read that the wood and scent are both toxic to birds. I believe that it is only a matter of time before my bird customers will forget which scents are ok and which ones are not ok....it will only take one time to forget. Pine is also a no no.

I also know that not all of my bird customers will have the same size house as I do. I can’t sit here and tell anyone that the scent that is dispersed in a small apartment will be as harmless and the scent dispersed in a larger house.

I can honestly say that my birds have shown no problems while burning my candles. I can’t tell anyone with 100% confidence that there is no LONG TERM damage being done. How sure are YOU?

I have to assume that other people love their birds as much as my husband and I do so I am unwilling to promise anyone their birds won’t die because I simply do not have the documentation or research to back that up. In my opinion anyone that makes that clam is irresponsible and or possibly a little dishonest. (It does matter exactly what is said and how it is said).

So can you say scensy is safer because it doesn’t have a wick......I think NOT because it depends on the scent and to my knowledge no one has done a comprehensive, independent unbiased study on candles or scented wax. (not and research that I was able to find between one and two years ago)

Can you say that any candle that uses a cotton wick is safe.....I think NOT. Can anyone say that it only depends on the wax used? Well NOT that I know of.

One thing that I can state that has been a fact in my research is that any candle that can be sold and shipped in the hot summer time has something else added to it. That is also true about the coconut wax I use. That certainly has created a problem selling or shipping. It also creates a problem for the customer because if they buy it and then leave it in the car while running into another store real quick has and will create problems for the customer and seller. I guess that is another topic however I want to stress that I have doubts about any candle that would hold up in the sun or on a very warm day. I have not found a bird “safe” additive to raise the melting temp of the two safe waxes I feel comfortable saying I believe are safe.

Just in case someone asks about Palm wax.....It is a wax that is already responsible for the destruction of many acres of forest in Indonesia. Coconut wax comes from coconuts and doesn’t require the tree to be harvested. Palm wax requires the whole tree to be cut down. So you see I want to be totally responsible to the earth, the animals and the people. I have literally spent months researching the topic of candles, especially bird safe candles. 9continued below)
    Last edited by BirdsMom; 10-26-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    BirdsMom
    Owned by and slave to:
    Freedom, Dakota (German Sheppard's)
    Leggs (Blue tick coon hound, rescued from Katrina and highway)
    Two brother mix breed dogs found dumped in the middle of the highway
    Duck (cat rescued too)
    Chief-Umbrella cockatoo
    Burt, Maxine- Congo African Grays
    Bobby- Lesser Sulfur cockatoo
    Guetto, Quincy -Blue crown conures
    Birds are rescues or have come from previous homes

continued....

I too believe that I have found a candle that all bird lovers could use safely. In August my husband’s job was outsourced to another country and we are looking for a way to make money. just try finding a job at 59 year of age. It would be very easy for me to claim my candle is safe and make a fortune of candle starved bird lovers. I have given it a lot of thought but I know that when I die I can not take the money or fame with me, only my integrity. My integrity simply won’t allow me to make a claim like that and the thought of someone loosing a beloved pet because I said it was safe is simply unfathomable to me. Even if I am right I am simply not willing to make a claim like that without years of research to back it up because there are almost a million people out there that are going to claim that they lost their birds to candles. Just selling my candles to non bird owners and still going to be putting that warning on the bottom of my candles for a really LONG time.

The fact that no one will tell you exactly what type of wax mixture is used tells me your walking on thin ice in a law suit situation. For me your testimonials you posted prove absolutely NOTHING. What real research or proof can you provide other than people I don’t know that say its ok? Please look at this from the bird lovers point of view. First, show me research that shows exactly what in a candle is responsible for the death of a bird. Second you would have to tell me exactly what is in the candle, your secrete recipe be damned. Then I want to see the years of studies that have been done to prove there is no long term deadly effect from the candles. See what I mean, this isn’t as easy as you might think and I promise you if you continue to make such claims with out being able to back it up with provable research your going to find yourself in a very expensive law suit. Beware! Please remember you asked for opinions.
    BirdsMom
    Owned by and slave to:
    Freedom, Dakota (German Sheppard's)
    Leggs (Blue tick coon hound, rescued from Katrina and highway)
    Two brother mix breed dogs found dumped in the middle of the highway
    Duck (cat rescued too)
    Chief-Umbrella cockatoo
    Burt, Maxine- Congo African Grays
    Bobby- Lesser Sulfur cockatoo
    Guetto, Quincy -Blue crown conures
    Birds are rescues or have come from previous homes