Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can dogs be left alone during the day

How long can dogs be left alone during the day

Currently I have a dog walker walk my two dogs midday, but the cost is getting prohibitive. Can dogs that are 2 and 3 years old stay home alone all day (8-9 hours)? I may be able to get home at lunch a few days per week if need be... Thoughts?

I suppose it depends on the indiviual dogs. At the centre I work at, we start at 8am and go home at 5pm, so the dogs are left alone for 15 hours. A lot of them are fine, some even wait that long for the toilet.
    I'd guess that they'd keep each other company, and as long as they have toys and food to occupy them, they should be fine.
    Have you ever had trouble with them being destructive?

Edit: unless you have time to slowly leave them for longer and longer periods, the only way you'll know is try it. The worst they could do is wreck your home
    emily

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Any similarities in my posts to anyone or anything real is purely coincidental.
    Please do not take anything I type as fact. I also may not be who I say I am, so don't know anything about anything.

Thankfully they have both outgrown the destructive behavior, and they have enough toys around to keep them busy. I should mention that one is crated (she has accidents if she is not - she has neurological issues (distemper as a pup) and doesn't 'get' that she has to wait) but doesn't mind the crate. The other tends to hang out with her during the day in the same room so they do keep each other company.

The other alternative is to put them both in the unfinished basement. There's a big window to look outside, a sofa, their beds, water, etc. but if one had an accident, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

I just think that 9 hours is a long time to be stuck in a crate...
    emily

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Any similarities in my posts to anyone or anything real is purely coincidental.
    Please do not take anything I type as fact. I also may not be who I say I am, so don't know anything about anything.

Evey Guest
    When I had an office job I always looked at it this way: Could I manage to "hold it" from the time I walked my dog in the morning until I made it home in the evening? The answer to that one is obvious.

I went home at lunch every day. I let her out, grabbed a TV dinner or some leftovers to take back to the office to eat. It got me out of the office for a much needed "sanity break", my dog got to go out and maybe chase a ball for a few minutes, if I had forgotten to take something out for dinner here was an opportunity to redeem myself, I could throw a load of laundry in, etc.

I don't think I would leave a dog in a crate that long, especially if it has to spend the night there as well.

I would put them in the basement.

I agree w. Marg - leave them in the basement. I've read you shouldn't crate a dog for more than 5 hours (other than for sleep). I keep Otto baby-gated in a spare room while I'm at work.
    Yes Otto, it's all fun 'n games until there's no money to pay for your kibble..

As long as their bladders have been "trained" to hold it for that long it won't be an issue. We had to train our Rottie to hold it for at least 15 hours when we left England to come back to the states.
    [Our Dogs: Chelsea - Lab/Sharpei - 8 years old
    Storm - Cane Corso - 6 years old
    Ezri - Beagle - Age Unknown (recent rescue)
    Jacob - German Rottie - RIP October 13, 2005
    Click here for pics: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=614608da6b

Life.....is a series of dogs. - George Carlin

_Lisa_ is offline PetLovers.Com Moderator PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mom2max
    Currently I have a dog walker walk my two dogs midday, but the cost is getting prohibitive. Can dogs that are 2 and 3 years old stay home alone all day (8-9 hours)? I may be able to get home at lunch a few days per week if need be... Thoughts?

I know exactly how you feel! My boyfriend & I used to stagger our trips home so that our 2-year old boxer mix (that is riddled with separation anxiety) would only be in her crate for no more than 5 hours at a time. Now my boyfriend has a new job which causes him to be gone for days at at time, and on those days I have to try to run home on my lunch hour! I work so far away from my home that I barely get 5 minutes with Anna before I have to turn around & go straight back to work. She doesn't even need to eliminate most days, she just needs the human interaction. On days that I can't run home I pay to put her in doggie daycare, which gets expensive quick!

If you no longer want to afford the dog-walker, I would suggest coming home during the day every day to take your dogs out yourself. I know that everyone thinks that putting a dog in a basement is a good idea, and it may be for their dogs, but from personal experience with a dog that MUST be crated, I could understand your hesitance to start letting them run lose.

(Plus, I see way too many creepy spiders in my unfinished basement!)
    ΦΕΦΗ
    Having a dog completely fulfills my need to be called Mommy.

"I shall pass this way but once; any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."

Apologizing does not mean that you are wrong and the other one is right. It simply means that you value the relationship much more than your ego.

I bleed blue!

I think my Dane actually likes it when everybody leaves, peace and quiet for her!!
    She has full run of the house, doggie doors and big backyard to run around in.
    I'm betting she's relaxing on my bed right now!!!

For those with seperation anxiety, we have found DAP (dog appeasing pheromone) to be very effective, we go on 2 weeks trips to the Cribbean every year, my nephew is that the house every eveing to hang out with ther and spend the night, worked great, she was just one big happy pup when we got home.
    We use the plug in type, just like a Glade air freshener. rescue remedy works well also, and is all natural.

I know it is costly to get a dogwalker but I have one for Grady not ust to let him out but to break up the day for him. Perhaps you could get a neighbor to let him out for 1/2 the cost. Is there a retired person who would be willing to spend tim ewith your dog. Who knows it might be the highlight for their day as well. Maybe you could barter with them to say cut their grass etc....I stopped getting my nails done in order to help afford my dogwalker....I hope that helps.
    Rose

Do you have a walk in shower? We have a walk in shower which we just leave the door open for my 9year yorkies. they just go whenever they have to go, and we just pick up after them and wash the shower everynite.
    they do have their daily walks when i come home, but until then, they just use the walk in shower. so.. yeah.. they stay by themselves for 8-9 hours..

We have been crating our dogs for years. we leave them a little water and some toys along with a radio playing soft music. we have never had a problem with them. they seem happy and content. we do not crate them at night however, they sleep in our room with us. Our dogs can usually go about 9 hours. I work shift work so we only have to crate them this long on my day shift week. It works for us so i guess it is whatever they get used to
    just and opinion
    Dee
    And just when you think, you got it figured out, God has a way of Making you think again.

My dogs are fine home alone all day and on occasion I've crated my lab all day (10 hours). There were a few accidents in the beginning, like the time my lab found the dog food and ate all remaining 20lbs... but now they just hang out. I've found that once your puppies get used to a routine, they'll adapt quite well. You might try and see if there are any college/highschool students or neighbors that can walk your dog for less. If you take your dogs to the dogpark ask around. That's how we found a dog/cat sitter for those weekend when you just can't take your babies with you. You can also try your local craigslist (www.craigslist.org) to barter services so it doesnt' cost you any money.

Oh yeah, on those days where I crate my lab, the energy level is through the roof when I get home, so if you lock your dogs up in the basement/crate whatever, be prepared to exercise them a lot more.

I work Tuesdays and Thursdays and during these two days in the week, my baby is home alone from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm. She stays in the hallway with access to the bathroom which is lined with potty papers. She is used to the routine and there's never a problem. In fact, she knows which day that I have to work. When she sees that I am all dressed up, she'll just quietly go back to her area. She is so sweet.