Thread: Kitten that wont stop trying to nurse from the dog.

Kitten that wont stop trying to nurse from the dog.

One of our 10 week old kittens will NOT stop trying to nurse from our 60 pound male dog. This kitten is eating kitten food and has been seperated from his mother so she would stop nursing. Hes driving our poor dog crazy and I dont know what to do to make him stop. Do you all have any ideas?

Thanks!
    Mom to:
    Butterfinger our Lab
    Our Cats :
    Snickers
    Spike
    Oreo
    Pinky
    Alphie
    Bootsie
    Peyton
    Ernie

Not sure if "Bitter Apple " is safe for cats.
    Does anyone know if she can use this?

"Bitter Apple spray leaves an unpleasant yet harmless taste on your dog's fur to discourage licking, chewing and biting. Keeps dogs from licking wounds and hot-spots, so they have a chance to heal properly."

You can find Bitter Apple at most pet stores.

kitten nursing for male dog

you failed to tell us at what age you separeated the mother from the kittens you might have done this to soon and she still has the desire to be nursed. i would not worry about this unless your dog has a problem with this kitten or the dog becomes sore i'm sure she will grow out of it

stacy

The kittens were 10 weeks old when they were sperated from their mother as stated in the orginal post. Of course the dog has a problem with it, as he is a male. Ive used a squirt bottle on the kitten and almost gotten him to stop. Its kind of cute but the dog doesnt think so!
    Mom to:
    Butterfinger our Lab
    Our Cats :
    Snickers
    Spike
    Oreo
    Pinky
    Alphie
    Bootsie
    Peyton
    Ernie

sucking kitten

The kitten will not necessarily outgrow this habit unless you discourage it. I also had a kitten who loved to suck, particularly on human hands. He was orphaned at about 2 weeks and raised by me. I think kittens have a strong innate need to suck and they'll transfer this to a human hand, or a poor dog, if they don't have a mother. This cat used to suck on my hand between the thumb and pointer finger, and he did this all the time until he was about a year old. It obviously made him happy and I got tired of fighting him (he's very willful), so I let him. I probably shouldn't have because he's 5 now and still does it occasionally when he gets stressed out. My friends think it's hilarious. I guess it's like a security blanket for him.

This probably isn't good for your dog though, either emotionally or physically. Rescued kittens often suck on their smallest sibling and I've heard of people using a small amount of bitter apple to discourage it. I suppose you could use this on your dog, but keep in mind it'll also also have the unwanted effect of keeping the dog from cleaning itself because of the taste. It might be better to separate them long enough for the kitten to 'break the habit'.

You know its funny. I have tried to do everything by the book with these kittens. I left them with their mother until they were 8 weeks old. At that point the vet said to seperate them. Thats when this one kitten started to nurse my male dog. I used a squirt bottle and finally broke him of that. Now all he wants to do is nurse on another MALE kitten that most looks like their mother. I just cant win with this one! Everytime I break him of nursing something, he finds something else to nurse. I cant belive his own brother just lays there and lets him root around and suck but he does. Its all cute, funny, and frustrating at the same time!
    Mom to:
    Butterfinger our Lab
    Our Cats :
    Snickers
    Spike
    Oreo
    Pinky
    Alphie
    Bootsie
    Peyton
    Ernie