Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please...baby bird fell out of nest

buttercup Guest

Exclamation Help please...baby bird fell out of nest

Hi. I have a problem. Yesterday afternoon a baby black bird fell out of it's nest in our front yard. It is trying badly to fly back up to it's nest, but it isin't strong enough yet. The baby and it's parents keep crying back and forth to eachother. Is there any way to help the baby back to it's nest? This has happened to us several times in the past, and every attempt to help the baby
    birds has failed. We really want to help this baby but we are not sure what to do! We didn't expect it to live overnight but somehow it found some shelter under some rocks and bushes, and it survived. We have cats and dogs and we are currently keeping them inside to keep them away from the baby. The baby bird is currently staying safe in a bush that it hopped into. Any advice? We want to save this baby! Thanks!

First off, how developed is baby? Does he have feathers? Is he covered for the most part, or is he fluffy, or is he bald?
    What you do depends a lot on those... if he is at least mostly covered with real feathers (even if they're not real well formed yet), he'll be fine as long as dogs or cats don't get him... mom and dad will keep feeding him on the ground.
    If he's fluffy or bald, he needs to either get back in the nest or be hand-reared, because he won't stay warm enough... OR you could try making him a nest, so he has SOMETHING to huddle into for warmth...
    If you DO decide to handraise him, and you have questions or need help, shoot me an e-mail: kyukidojen@hotmail.com - I've raised LOTS of birds - it's not as easy as i'd have liked, but not as hard as i was afraid, either... but it's ALWAYS better if they can grow up without human intervention...

**Special Note: As many people are finding this post using Yahoo's search engine - I'm more than happy to respond to e-mails i get. When you send the initial e-mail, though, please include the answers to the following questions: Is the baby bird bald, fluffy, partly feathered, or fully feathered? Are its eyes open or closed? Have you looked for the parents? Do you know what kind of bird it is? Thank you - I am far more able to help you if you answer those questions ahead of time. **
    Last edited by kyukidojen; 05-28-2006 at 09:30 PM.
    Jenna, momma to:
    Furbis, Calliah, Izzy, & Bayleigh

Gramma... I miss you. Looks like I'll have to look for you when I get to heaven. Please, take care of our babies for us, and know that you are loved.

Living Proof - Jenna's Blog

buttercup Guest
    He still has some fluff, but mostly feathers. We went out and leaned a ladder against the tree we think he fell from, and we put him on the top step. He immediatly hopped up into the tree and started calling for it's parents. We are keeping an eye on him, to make sure he doesn't fall out again. Hopefully he will stay in the tree! Thanks for the help!

As long as no animals get him, he'll be fine! Good job not taking him inside and feeding him worms, like most people do - it's a great way to ensure their demise, not survival. You should consider yourself blessed - of all the animals i raised, blackbirds were the worst - they smelled the worst, were the meanest, and were the most obnoxious. Hehe... here's to hoping that if you ever find yourself with an orphan, it's a dove, not a blackbird.
    Jenna, momma to:

Gramma... I miss you. Looks like I'll have to look for you when I get to heaven. Please, take care of our babies for us, and know that you are loved.

I hope he makes it. I have 3 robins in a tree right by my front door. I watch the mama feed them daily! They are so adorable
    Therese, Patch O' Pits Proud Mom

buttercup Guest
    Well...I'm sorry to say one of my cats caught the bird and killed it...I thought for sure it would be okay up in the tree, but I guess we should have watched it closer.

put the bird back in the nest quickly, Chris

It's too bad that kitty got the bird... but really, even if you'd spent twice as much time watching, it's still something that could easily have happened. Don't beat yourself up over it - you gave the baby a fighting chance.
    Jenna, momma to:

I'm really sorry about the bird, and I like your zoo, one of you cats look like mine, I have 2 and they love looking out at the backyard habitat, its there big screen TV both day and night, Chris

Baby black bird on ground, no parent around

I too have a black bird that has fallen from it's nest and has been crying all morning. The mother laid it's eggs on our gas grill with the lid closed and all of the babies died but this one. It was so hot in there, I finally propped the lid open and this one is flourishing. But it fell 10 feet to the ground and is hopping around a little. I haven't seen the parents all morning and it's crying is driving me crazy. Should I place it back in the grill on the deck, or maybe in a vacated robins nest right above where he landed that's under our deck so I can at least let me dogs go potty. It doesn't have full feathers yet. He just happened to fall the exact morning that the Robins left their nest. Please advise.

sorry I didnt get back with you sooner, I am a cross crountry truck driver and I am gone for days at a time, the best thing is to put it back in the original nest, alot of times a mother even if its not the same kind of bird will take care of it, it needs to stay warm open the lid, I always keep a spare cage for this type of thing, there is baby bird food availible at pet stores in powder form that you mix with water, me I would had feed the baby, you could put the gril close to the bird feeder, there is a good chance another bird will take it under its wing and care for it, here in my habitat I've had sparrows feed black bird babies, and starlings feed finches, finches seem to be the most caring, they will feed any baby, most baby birds when they can hop around will appear lost and not knowing what to do, but the parents do watch and force it to learn to eat on its own but will feed it til it learns, I usually put the baby where the other birds are eating, but it sound like this one is to little, you could just had feed it, I wish you could send a picture of it so I could see it and I could tell you better what to do, no matter what it needs food and water, email me a pic at buehler740@aol.com, I hope I'm not to late, I used to had feed and raise alot of different kinds of birds

Baby black bird

I think this one was a starling. I couldn't catch him, he ran pretty fast and found a safehaven in my Hostas. I gathered the nesting material and put it in a shirt-box lid and laid it by him hoping he would jump in it and I could put him back. Anyway, I left him alone for awhile and came back and it was gone. Either mamma came to his rescue or the hawk flying above got him. Perhaps he was old enough after all to be on the ground. Oh well, thanks for your reply, I really think it's great to have somewhere to go with questions like this. Yesterday was the day for all baby birds to leave the nest, I watched as 3 in a nest under our deck left one by one. The last one was stubborn, it took the mom all day, and once it hit the ground, she still couldn't get him to fly. What a facinating (and stressful day). Thanks.

One more question Buehler740, any suggestions on how to discourage the starlings or blackbirds (not sure which is which, these are dark black, shiny and have bright yellow beeks and are medium size) from coming back to my deck. I would prefer not to have a nest in the grill I cook on, plus they make an aweful mess on my deck. I will say they are the hardest working bird I've ever encountered. We clean the start of their nest out of the grill 3 times, and by the next day each time, the nest was fully rebuilt with large pieces of straw that they had to drag through a little hole to get into the closed pit. The last time they rebuilt within 24 hours and had already laid eggs before I got to it. Of course, they won the battle that time and I let the eggs hatch. But the babies were really noisy being so close to my back door. I really don't want them back.

That had to be a great day to see the babies go out to start their new life,My mom always had a backyard habitat and I loved it now I do and love it. I used to hand feed baby birds for a local pet shop, at one point I had about 200 babies in my bird room, when it was time for flying lessons, I'd have them purch on my arm then I'd move my arm up and down, their natural instinct was to start flapping their wings, at this time I think I had every pillow in the house in that room, when 1 bird started to try to fly the rest would try, and they have to fine tune their direction and speed skills, it was cute, had alot of crash landings in the pillows, first its the thril of flying, then the fine tuning, the hardest part was giving them to the new owners, I cried everytime, Chris

Yes there is a fix to this problem, this will take alittle time but it works, this is what I did, move the grill to where a post is, cover the grill, and make sure the cover is tight so they cant get in, just a piece of tarp will do, put some straw on top of it and put a bird house that they can fit into on the post just above the grill, with the grill covered they will be curious about the house and look, once they move into the house you can gradually move it alittle higher and farther away before they lay eggs if you can or right after the babies fly away to start their new life , they will make it a house they keep coming back to like they did the gril, it might work right away and it might take alittle time, offering an alturnitive to the grill would be your best bet, alot of birds make ceriain places for raising young a habit, some place they go back to everytime, a nice bird house that you put by it will proably be accepted and used over and over, when moveing the house move it alittle at a time so its not a noticible move maybe 4-6 inches up then a couple over, but not when they have babies, either before or after, they'll love you for giving them a nice home to, a little effert and patience will take care of this, Chris