Thread: Dog Paw Fungus

Dog Paw Fungus

I have a lab pit bull mix getting up there in years and have been experiencing a lot of paw problems. She's a constant licker and chews her paws raw. Recently she has developed very yellowish scaley pad. Its very hard and seems to crack off once in a while. We have tried everything and the vet has no answers.

It has now spread to her back foot, probably by licking.

To describe this the best as possible, one pad on her paw is like a rock that is very yellow. Almost reminds me of the fungus humans get under their townail. I have soaked, we tried medication, wrapped the feet for a while. Nothing works. Has anyone seen this?

Any ideas on where to start next? I can post a picture

How about:

Hello, has an e collar been tried? Get one big enough so the dog can't get at the paws. How about rinsing her paws off after going outside using the puppy wipes with aloe vera? What about cleaning solutions used around the house. I had to switch to all natural products. What about epsom salts soaks? That stuff has done wonders for my dog, but be careful about drying. I just stick my dog in the tub pour in half a bag and soak for fifteen minutes. Is the dog getting enough exercise, sometimes can be a behavior issue. Good luck.

Okay, I don't understand: the vet has no answers? What did the vet say/do? Have you followed up with the vet? This sounds like its painful to the dog. If the vet has no answers, it may be time for a second opinion.
    A friend had an older dog and she had to put little booties on when the dog went outside.
    Save a life, Spay a pet!
    FTD

"I have reached an age when, if someone tells me to wear socks, I don't have to." Albert Einstein (my Hero!)

Hello,

I've never treated fungus on a dog, but I have had success treating fungus with grapefruitseed extract and colloidal silver. You dilute the extract per the instructions on the label. And colloidal silver can be applied directly. Health food stores have these items and if it is a fungus the grapefruit seed extract will work like a champ! Hope this helps.
    Kathleen & Crew
    Merlin's Pet Shop
    www.merlinspetshop.com
    Merlin aka "number 1" Shepherd mix
    Anuk the "in charge female" Siberian
    Dini the "OCD" Border Collie mix
    Flash the "really in charge" rescued Cat

Forgot - I agree with a second opinion.
    Kathleen & Crew
    Merlin's Pet Shop
    www.merlinspetshop.com
    Merlin aka "number 1" Shepherd mix
    Anuk the "in charge female" Siberian
    Dini the "OCD" Border Collie mix
    Flash the "really in charge" rescued Cat

Quote Originally Posted by parker174
    Hello, has an e collar been tried? Get one big enough so the dog can't get at the paws. How about rinsing her paws off after going outside using the puppy wipes with aloe vera? What about cleaning solutions used around the house. I had to switch to all natural products. What about epsom salts soaks? That stuff has done wonders for my dog, but be careful about drying. I just stick my dog in the tub pour in half a bag and soak for fifteen minutes. Is the dog getting enough exercise, sometimes can be a behavior issue. Good luck.
    I have tried just about everything. I am so worried about it. I have soaked in the salts, yes that really helps for any type of rash or redness around the area, but what I am really worried about is the very yellowish pay that is very hard. I am going to post pictures tonight. Maybe one of you might have seen something like this. I have taken her to three vets. One said try this and this and this. None of which worked. The other cost me a fortune and said it was stress so he wanted to give her acupuncture. What the heck, I tried it and nothing. The other said she is alergic and wrapped the foot in some serious lotion and said to keep it wrapped for a 2 weeks. I did that and when we took it off 2 weeks later at the vet, it was worse than before.

Let me post some pictures for you guys.

Thanks for the help.

JustJo Guest
    I am sorry your dog is going through this. There are a few reasons why dogs lick and chew at their paws. The number one suspect is allergies. Arthritis pain could be a reason. It could also be caused by separation anxiety, boredom, or stress. Bullwinkle almost got lick granuloma from when he lost Ming and before I adopted Rockie he licked his paws and forelegs so bad. Have you had any actual allergy panel testing done? Adverse reactions to food components is a big possibility for itchy feet. There is a relatively newer drug on the market now called cyclosporine. I don’t know the brand names but that is the drug. If your dog is suffering from seasonal allergy, this drug has helped many that did not respond to steroids.

There are several products on the market for these type of problems. Personally, I use Nzymes and BacPac Plus as supplements for my dogs but there are many others that are great too that may help. Bullwinkle doesn’t get itchies anymore. Here is a link to the site. There is some good info on there about many skin and yeast problems that may help.

http://www.nzymes.com/

KeeniePag Guest
    hello,
    im having the SAME problem w/my pit bulls paws! "one pad on her paw is like a rock that is very yellow" ..... Rideglamis....did you find a solution? does any know how to treat it?

Hi, adding the nzymes should help some. Another common reason for foot itching/licking is allergies to grain. Which means many dog foods, especially grocery store bought ones. Try a higher quality kibble, one without grain, (corn, wheat, or soy). Usually a feed store, or your local petsmart should carry them. Cronic ear infections along with the feet problem have been found to be caused to grain allergies.

Good luck.
    Where fur and feather meet.....

My Beloved Parrots

My German Shepherd Dogs

The Cat!

I may be being dense, but are you sure it's fungal? Chase, a greyhound at the shelter, had a tiny piece of grit in one of his paws, and ever since it was removed, he's had a corn on that pad. It's very hard and yellow, with flakey dead skin, looks just like corns humans get. And it's very sore, so he licks it.

Our vet said to put vaseline on it as often as possible to soften it, and then he shaved the top layer of dead skin off
    Last edited by squashynose; 09-17-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    emily

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Any similarities in my posts to anyone or anything real is purely coincidental.
    Please do not take anything I type as fact. I also may not be who I say I am, so don't know anything about anything.

I don't know if this will be of any help or not but I found this article. http://www.thepetprofessor.com/artic...e.aspx?id=1907

very yellowish scaley paw pads Help!

I to have a lab pit bull mix getting up there in years with the same issue you are having Tyson's appt. is on the 26th of this month so I happing for some good news and answers. very yellowish scaley paw pads, hard in some spots front and back paws, not so much with the chewing but the licking. How long has this been going on for cause I just notice this on my Tyson a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rideglamis View Post
    I have tried just about everything. I am so worried about it. I have soaked in the salts, yes that really helps for any type of rash or redness around the area, but what I am really worried about is the very yellowish pay that is very hard. I am going to post pictures tonight. Maybe one of you might have seen something like this. I have taken her to three vets. One said try this and this and this. None of which worked. The other cost me a fortune and said it was stress so he wanted to give her acupuncture. What the heck, I tried it and nothing. The other said she is alergic and wrapped the foot in some serious lotion and said to keep it wrapped for a 2 weeks. I did that and when we took it off 2 weeks later at the vet, it was worse than before.

Let me post some pictures for you guys.

Thanks for the help.
    Hi I believe my mini Schnauzer is having the same problem. She licked her paws so much that they were raw andd oozing. She could hardly walk & the smell was awful. The vet put her on antibiotics & IV fluids but really it did not help and the first round of antibiotics made her even worse.We switched them ,did chest x rays & tested her lymph fluids and blood. Nothing unusual and the vet thought that the feet were a symptom of something else, but now I am thinking that they are the main source of her illness.
    I have change her food to one containing simply lamb, rice & canola oil 2 days ago and am using a cone to prevent licking. her feet have dried up and look like they are healing but are very rough & yellow. She also has a thick yellowish patch on her "elbow" and her breath is also very bad. It seems to me to be yeast or fungal simply because we have tried everything else. She is miserable and I am going to try adding a probiotic to her food. Anything you find out I would love to hear.

mammcat, welcome to the forum

This thread is very old, the OP posted in 2006. I suggest you start a new thread about your dog. It's the easiest way to get people to read it. It might get lost all the way down this thread
    emily

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Any similarities in my posts to anyone or anything real is purely coincidental.
    Please do not take anything I type as fact. I also may not be who I say I am, so don't know anything about anything.