Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can male birds lay eggs too?

Question Can male birds lay eggs too?

Sorry if I sound stupid, it's just always puzzled me. I was once told that male birds (aswell as female) can lay unfertile eggs. I'm not sure if it's true, and I'd like to know .

A second question if you don't mind, What does a bird look like when laying an egg?

Sorry if these questions are a little odd and thank you for answering if you do ,

Equine

No, male birds can't lay eggs. lol. The things people say. its ok. If a bird is laying an egg they kind of squat and lift their tail and pop out the egg. Hope that is enough info.
    Missing being a pet parent, but will be again some day when the situation allows it...Rest in Peace Willow my aussie girl-sept.19 2010, sweet Satin bunny Oct 1999-Jan 10 2006 and Tinsle chinchilla 2004-Jan.23 2008, Shiloh beagle dog June 23rd 1994-April 17th 2008, Grace chinchilla Dec. 26th 2003 -July 2008, Kit chihuahua Dec 1997-2009.

Jerica. I can tell you right now that you are completely wrong.

Male birds can lay eggs...unfertile or not - I'm not sure. but my monk parakeet (quaker) just layed an egg today, and I have no idea what to do with it.

But I can tell you all that male monk parakeets CAN lay eggs.

I'm also 99% percent sure that he's a male, as well.

dlaura is offline I must, I must, I must Supporting Member
    PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Well I hate to tell you that you are probably going to land in the 1 percent here because your monk keet is a girl if it layed eggs. Why are you so sure it is a male? The act of a bird laying eggs is usually a 100 percent indication that it is female.

Where did you get the information that male birds can lay eggs?
    ATTITUDE! Life is 10% what happens to one and 90% how one reacts to it!

Seriously, male birds cannot lay eggs. It's the equivalent of a human man having a period or giving birth to a baby. They just don't have the internal equipment to do so. It's not just unlikely, it's impossible.
    You can think that I'm wrong, but don't stop thinking.
    - House

Quote Originally Posted by Jennicat
    Seriously, male birds cannot lay eggs. It's the equivalent of a human man having a period or giving birth to a baby. They just don't have the internal equipment to do so. It's not just unlikely, it's impossible.
    I concur. No ovary, no egg.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Max - resting in peace...click on his name to read his story...
    (All shelter adopted or saved from the streets )

agreed. Males can't lay eggs, but as far as telling if a bird is going to lay an egg, I'd say it's equivalent to labor pains for humans, They squat, raise up, squat and raise up until the egg comes out.

It shocked me to learn with my first egg laying hen to realize they usually lay eggs every other day and it's usually not just one egg.

Well, only had finches before, and my female layed a clutch of about 3 eggs, but unfortunately they stuck to her tail feathers and dropped out of the nest to break. But my chickens when they lay eggs they do squat then raise up then squat, etc. a few times and then the egg slides out. One thing I found interesting, when the egg is just dropped, it's leathery, and soft, it doesn't get hard until exposed to the air for a few minutes! But chickens only lay one egg a day, and usually only one every other day for the first few weeks after starting to lay.
    If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one. ~Andy Rooney
    Anne and David

The Beckhams
    RIP Cookie, my love, I miss you, terribly
    Cash
    Caley
    Tink

PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Well since this thread was started in April of 06 and the OP only has 4 posts we will not be hearing from the OP. This may have been someone just joking around to begin with.

just because a post is ages old doesn't mean people pay close attention to the dates, and it doesn't necessarily mean they are joking around. It's the issue that matters, not the time of when it's posted.

PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLynn
    just because a post is ages old doesn't mean people pay close attention to the dates, and it doesn't necessarily mean they are joking around. It's the issue that matters, not the time of when it's posted.
    I totally agree that it is the issue that matters. However I had made the mistake of asking the OP where he/she had heard that male birds lay eggs and later when I reviewed the original post I realized there is a good chance we may not hear back from the OP due to the age of the original post. So, I wanted to point that out in case others were disppointed to not get a response.

This is also a place where people who are new to animals come to learn and I didn't want newbies thinking that male birds lay eggs.

As far as this thread being a hoax or a joke to begin with, the topic really makes me wonder and as a mod I have seen many threads like this that were indeed a hoax and I think we would agree the topic/info being introduced is certainly a myth.

thoughts

its possible, but at least as far as it goes for me, I tend to pay attention to the topic, and not the date.

But from other forums there have been pranksers.

But it never hurts to remind people,

something like this: and it's only a suggestion

1. This post was made on such and such a date and year.
    2. The original poster may not return for an answer.

That way it takes the emotion out of the post altogether, and lets people assess what you said, and then decide if they should reply or not.

It's just a suggestion.

PetLovers.Com Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLynn
    its possible, but at least as far as it goes for me, I tend to pay attention to the topic, and not the date.

But from other forums there have been pranksers.

But it never hurts to remind people,

something like this: and it's only a suggestion

1. This post was made on such and such a date and year.
    2. The original poster may not return for an answer.

That way it takes the emotion out of the post altogether, and lets people assess what you said, and then decide if they should reply or not.

It's just a suggestion.

Ok, thank you, I will certainly consider it. This goes back to it being hard to read what is being said in a post, because I didn't think my emotion showed, but now I know it did.

Quote Originally Posted by equine
    Sorry if I sound stupid, it's just always puzzled me. I was once told that male birds (aswell as female) can lay unfertile eggs. I'm not sure if it's true, and I'd like to know .

A second question if you don't mind, What does a bird look like when laying an egg?

Sorry if these questions are a little odd and thank you for answering if you do ,

Equine
    WooW never heard of a Male bird laying eggs before -- I don't think they can. I thought I had a male bird until she layed an egg -- Well found out it was a girl --

We thought we had a girl chicken till he started crowing in the mornings. No eggs.