Thread: Weed killer & dogs...help!!!!

Unhappy Weed killer & dogs...help!!!!

We sprayed weed killer today in our backyard. It was too late when we realised that the chemicals are harmful for the dogs . But now that the weed killer is sprayed, how long should we wait before letting back the dogs in the backyard?
    We have decided to never use chemicals in our backyard again. But please share your advices to protect our dogs from harm .
    Thanks

'We' ~Manasi & Abhi

Brinkley ~St Bernard Short Haired
    Heera ~St Bernard Long Haired

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=3456520d.pbw

I sprayed bush kill as my dog ran by and she got it in her eyes. I rinsed and rinsed, but after 12 hours they were bright red so went to the vet. She looked carefully and said I might want to use some ointment $10.00. Her eyes were fine within anothe 24 hours.

Read the label carefully, it should say how long to keep the pets/children out. I think it says until it dries or something. It should also say what to do if they exhibit symptoms, and what symptoms to look for. Usually the bottle has a peel-open book attached under the label.

I know what you mean about never again! Hopefully there's no harm done.
    Save a life, Spay a pet!
    FTD

"I have reached an age when, if someone tells me to wear socks, I don't have to." Albert Einstein (my Hero!)

We have not let out dogs on the grass since we sprayed the chemicals. The label does not specify atall how long the pets should be kept off of the grass. At the most it mentions 'hazardous to domestic pets'. Thats it . Arent they spposed to specify such things? How do they conveniently forget to mention such important info .
    Thanks

'We' ~Manasi & Abhi

Brinkley ~St Bernard Short Haired
    Heera ~St Bernard Long Haired

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=3456520d.pbw

If you have concerns anytime, call poison control. Its free and that's what they do for us. If the product was Roundup the most risk is eye injury (temporary). Unless they inhaled or ingested the stuff, or got a lot on their skin, and at this point they'd act sick or disoriented or would have some noticable symptoms.

If its another product, just google the product name and safety.

Its really frustrating when there's not enough information on the package to comfort us, I totally agree.
    Save a life, Spay a pet!
    FTD

"I have reached an age when, if someone tells me to wear socks, I don't have to." Albert Einstein (my Hero!)

I get totally freaked out by chemical with my pets. I havent had weed killer in my yard which need it very bad this year. Per my landscaper the way we are going to do it is spray the yard or however he puts it down and me and the dogs are going away for two days. During that time we are going to have a yeard heavly watered. For bug control I spray my yard with a mixture of water and garlic. At night I dump on my back stoop soapy water from my dishes to keep ants away from my house. We havent had weed killer down in 3 years so we need it this year but like I said gonna go away with the dogs. Or in the future do you front yard seperate from your back and walk your dog in the place that wasn't done yet then switch till the chemicals are absorbed into the earth. Thats my advice. I never use foods for my plants since my dogs love to eat my vegetables in my garden. Poison control is definelty great to get info from.
    RIo&Nickysmommy

i would keep them out of the yeard until it ranes than the rain washes the chemicals off but wate until the grass drys

reeskujo Guest
    I was told they have to stay out of the yard for 24 hours....If you log onto to the ASPCA website they have a poison control number just for pets or you can call a lawn care company.....My one vet actually made that suggestion....He said they would know better about that kind of thing.

Next year before the grass and weeds come in , lay down corn gluten meal as a natural organic pre-emergent weed killer. Not only does it kill weeds before they sprout but it is also nitrogen rich and fertilizes your lawn.

I haven't used any chemicals at all in my back yard this year. There is a site called www.cleanairliving.com that has all-natural and organic solutions for everything. Even fireants.
    Doggone Purrfect Pets... Holistic Food for Healthy Pets

http://www.timberwolforganics.com/cg...oggonepurrfect
    Click here to visit Timberwolf Organics, Inc to purchase items.

http://www.noahsarkshopping.com/myst...ronconnors.htm
    We know what animals love... because we love animals !