Thread: Can I cut my cat's hair?

Southern california, but home is Connecticut

Can I cut my cat's hair?

My kitten is just a bundle of fur, as he is the cutest thing I have ever seen, I was wondering if I could cut his hair, or trim it? I know that cats have receptors in thier fur like whiskars, so I didn't know. Let me know, if you know! Thanks!

Annie-3 year old Mackeral Tabby/Siamese blend. Thinks she is human, has no idea she is a cat.

Monster-18 month Siberian. Often referred to as Evenrude, cause he purrs so loud.

Morgan-Almost 4. Yellow lab. Lick-a-holic.

i've only heard of cutting a cats hair if they get big knots in it otherwise i don't know anyone who has cut a cats hair

Why do you think your cat's hair needs to be cut?
    http://community.webshots.com/user/suesphotos101

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

Dogs make us human.

Sue

My Precious Cat Furby (8/05) was a gorgeous orange long hair....part Maine Coon I think. Every summer he would get these awefull mattes in his fur...so I would brush him and brush him but they just kept coming back. Well this past summer he kept hiding from me because he hated having his mattes removed. Well I read somewhere on the net that clipping him would solve the problem. So one night I go out the clippers and gave him a "lion cut"....I just clipped all the hair on his shoulders, back and haunches and left his head, legs, belly and tail long. He lookes so funny...yet beautiful at the same time . He LOVED being clipped he laid and purred the whole time and once he was clipped he didn't hide anymore, all he wanted to do was be petted (he felt like velvet). So I am assuming from his reaction that he liked my bright idea.....the rest of the family was not so sure......I clipped Heidi, our female sheltie, the same night and she looked terrible ....but that is another story! Let's just say that I wasn't allowed to use the clippers again for a long time....hehehe

Please read!!

Hello,

I work at a pet grooming business and the important thing to know about cats is that there is a much higher risk involved (compared to dogs) when you cut/shave a cat's hair. Cats have very thin, delicate skin underneath their fur, therefore only more experienced and willing pet stylists work on cats. PLEASE DO NOT CUT YOUR KITTEN'S FUR YOURSELF! If you are really set on doing it; please take the little guy to a professional groomer.
    Last edited by igraine32511; 02-24-2006 at 10:41 PM.
    --Emily

My fur babies:
    Arthur: 5 month old black kitten who likes to knock over glasses at 5 a.m.
    Albert: 7 yr old black & white skittish fat cat (23 lbs!)
    Puba: 10 yr old black & white graceful cat who isn't afraid of anything

Sophie: a.k.a. KC (Katrina Cat): 2 yr old smart calico who survived hurricane katrina

Katrina: 2 yr old black cat who also survived the hurricane & is the happiest kitty in the world

Who am I to argue with a professional groomer? I agree with most opinions, ie. you must have a good reason to clip your cat's hair and if so, and you are inexperienced, send to the groomer to do so!!! Some Longhair breeders do clip their show cats' hair 3 months (that how long it takes for the fur to grow back) before the show season starts so that the coat is full and beautiful for showing. If you have no good reason to clip the hair, then please don't do it!
    Abymummy

I was looking at the Lion Cut option. My kitten just has such long fur and he looks all mangie and when he goes in the litter box he gets all dirty, and the fur in his paws drags kitty smell everywhere. I was hesitant to cut him, becuase I don't want him to be embarrased, but that lion cut is so cute, he'd be perfect candidate. I would never cut his hair alone, I would for sure bring it to the vet. I just didn't know if they liked it or not. I didn't want him to be all embarrased.

Annie-3 year old Mackeral Tabby/Siamese blend. Thinks she is human, has no idea she is a cat.

Monster-18 month Siberian. Often referred to as Evenrude, cause he purrs so loud.

I don't know if cats CAN be embarrassed! If the coat is in really awful condition, then please do send it to the vet. Go to the vet anyway, maybe he/she can give you some advice on grooming etc. BTW you are grooming her everyday aren't you?
    Abymummy

Yes I do brush him all the time, and he doesn't have a problem with knots or fur matting. As it gets into the summer it is getting really hot. I can tell he is really hot because he lays in front of the fan all spead out and lying on his back. I just don't want him to be so hot. It makes me feel so bad, becuse his fur is so long. Any ideas?

He sounds adorable and you, too, for worrying about his feelings! I have never seen the lion cut before. I would love to see a pic if that's what you decide.

yes!

I used to take my kitties to the groomers on a regular basis when it was hot. I have never heard of there being a problem to cut a cats hair. I also trimmed my kitties hair myself very carefully not long ago because she was shedding like crazy and it really helped her. As long as you are 100% careful not to get close to nicking their delicate skin it should be a relief for the kitty especially in the hot weather. A professional groomer would definately be the best option IMO. Good luck with it!

ps they look adorable with the lion cut!

your cat can have a haircut if you would like but lets talk first.
    1) i would take kitty to a groomer to have her hair cut i would not try it yourselk cats have very thin skin and if you cut him you could really hurt him.
    Most groomers will do what is called a lion cut on your cat it is hard to get used to looking at they leave to mane around his head and the tuff on his tail the rest is very short
    2) your kitten may hate you why because of that hair being so long he is not used to feeling the air on his skin and it may really freak him out he may decide to hide.

most cats that have this done do adjust but it may take some time good luck with whatever you choose to do.

stacy

I have had my cats fur shaved in the summer and so do several people I know with long haired cats.
    My vet advised that I shave Her belly in the summer to keep her cool. She loved it and after a few summeres we shaved her whole body.