Thread: Cat Pulling Fur Out - Solved!!!

Cat Pulling Fur Out - Solved!!!

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and apologize in advance as I probably won't spend much time here because I have many other forums I belong to. Just please know that I have no affiliation with the product I want to tell you about and I am not a distributor, just a very excited and satisfied customer. I mainly registered because my cat and I truly want to share a recent breakthrough with the many people trying to help their own kitties feel better.

Background: My hubby and I got our adult cat from a shelter about 1 1/2 years ago. When we got him we immediately had him checked out at the vet for all the usual shots and overall health. We discovered he had two problems/symptoms that are pretty common but extremely difficult to pinpoint for causes/treatment. He had constant diarrhea and was constantly pulling his fur out, especially at the base of his back near the tail. We lovingly refer to them as his racing stripes. We tried many diets, kitty kaopectate, and had his stool examined for ghiardia bacteria, etc.

As far as the runs, It turns out his tummy can't handle anything outside of his ID diet which disappointed me because I'd love to give him treats. Over the past year, we have tried treating him with tuna water, store bought treats, cheese nibbles, baby food (chicken and turkey flavors) and a healthy all natural organic food. Nothing worked and he always got the runs. His worst case of diarrhea came from catnip! Boy, he had a hangover for three days!

Anyway, long story short, I know from my own research that many people are desperate to try and get their felines digestion and itchies under control to the point of giving their pets antidepressants and other drugs because the vets can't figure it out either and often say it is a psychological disorder or flea bites or anxiety. I am no vet and I certainly believe it is important to do proper testing to be certain your kitty doesn't have a life threatening problem. But by accident, in looking for another treat we tried adding a squirt of Grizzly Wild Salmon Oil to his ID food in the mornings.

www.grizzlypetproducts.com

This is the reason I am writing: Over the past week, his fur has softened, his coat texture has changed to look and feel healthier, he has no runs. Now for the miracle! He has stopped itching and pulling out his fur!!!!! And his energy level and playfulness have gone WAY up! I would urge anyone who's cat is itchy and preoccupied with pulling out tufts of hair to please give this oil a try and if it works for you, please let people here know and pass this information on to others at other boards so that they may benefit from our unexpected experience!

Hi. I am new here, but have an important comment to make on behalf of my kitty Toni. I've had him for several months and came here a while ago looking for advice about his hair pulling and licking and chewing out. I tried the Wild Alaskan salmon oil and unfortunately it didn't work. But what did work is a product for hot spots. BECAUSE I thought hot spots were just spots and localized, I figured it had to be something else. It was hot spots. Moist dermatitis. The folks at the Animal Welfare I got him at didn't even suggest it. They said he was just suffering from trauma. So for months my Toni has been suffering. He had no rash, and he didn't itch. He just wanted his hair out. So it seemed. He had developed this because he had broken his legs and the cast became impossible for him to bear, Now...I know why. He ripped that thing off and has been balding himself ever since. So friends consider treating him for Hot spots if he is tearing his hair out. It is the least inexpensive product to try and may be just what you are looking for. Good luck to all with this menace.

One of the last two that were dropped here plucked his tail bald. Never knew if it was malnutrition, stress, fleas or the internal parasites that caused it, but he stopped once he got healthy and happy. It never grew back to the grand fluffy tail his brothers sport, but it has fur!
    Jennie, Gary & our kids:

cat colony: Hunter S Tomcat, Archie and Mehitable, Witch, and Calamity Jane, Cuddlebug, Havana, Ghost, Spitfire Liz, Little Bit, Jesse, Moe, Cali, Stardust, Anastasia & Christy, Sally and the 5 boys

dog pack Heinz and Heidi

rip Tiger, Rabbit, Two Stars, Angel,Elaine, Mungo Jerry, Tex and Ijimus. I'll meet y'all at the bridge.

When we first got Sammy he had bald patches on his belly and on his back legs. He was so skinny, I was almost scared when we took him to the vet that they'd think we were abusing him. In the end we found out that we had a very nervous kitty on our hands. Whenever he goes through periods of stress, he starts licking himself to the point he licks the hair right off of him. One thing that had led us to believe that it may be stress related was that we never found any hair in the room we had him isolated in. We still wanted the vet to check him out though. (When we first brought him home, we kept him isolated for some time, we didn't want to allow him to be introduced to Unix and Danzig until we had him checked out by a vet, just in case)

The effects of stress on both humans and animals will never cease to amaze me. When Sammy got comfortable with us and in his new home, the hair grew back. If we leave, even for a few days, my mother in law looks after our babies since she lives right across the street. I'm weary of going anywhere now though, the last time we did, the bald patches came back and we were gone a total of 4 or 5 days.
    My little family :
    ~*~ Sammy ~*~ Danzig ~*~ Unix ~*~
    In Loving Memory of :
    ~*~ Edgar ~*~ Pumpkin ~*~
    I will always miss you.

Add me on Facebook ** Just say it's from PL **: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=678901074

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovetoni View Post
    Hi. I am new here, but have an important comment to make on behalf of my kitty Toni. I've had him for several months and came here a while ago looking for advice about his hair pulling and licking and chewing out. I tried the Wild Alaskan salmon oil and unfortunately it didn't work. But what did work is a product for hot spots. BECAUSE I thought hot spots were just spots and localized, I figured it had to be something else. It was hot spots. Moist dermatitis. The folks at the Animal Welfare I got him at didn't even suggest it. They said he was just suffering from trauma. So for months my Toni has been suffering. He had no rash, and he didn't itch. He just wanted his hair out. So it seemed. He had developed this because he had broken his legs and the cast became impossible for him to bear, Now...I know why. He ripped that thing off and has been balding himself ever since. So friends consider treating him for Hot spots if he is tearing his hair out. It is the least inexpensive product to try and may be just what you are looking for. Good luck to all with this menace.
    I've not heard of Hot Spots. Is this a product which can be purchased at a pet store?
    Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovetoni View Post
    I've not heard of Hot Spots. Is this a product which can be purchased at a pet store?
    Ann

I see that this (hot spots) is a condition rather than a product. Please excuse my ignorance. My cat has just started pulling out his fur in the past 6 weeks or so--at least that's when I noticed it. We have a vet appointment on Monday so I'm just trying to do some research before that. I doubt that our cat has hot spots as there doesn't appear to be any skin problems. Is there really anything which can be done to fix this problem? He is 11 years old and has been beautiful all his life until recently. He's a seal point Birman. I hate the thought of putting him down but if he is so uncomfortable and continues to abuse himself, I'm thinking this may well be the thing to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Ann

Quote Originally Posted by atrast View Post
    I see that this (hot spots) is a condition rather than a product. Please excuse my ignorance. My cat has just started pulling out his fur in the past 6 weeks or so--at least that's when I noticed it. We have a vet appointment on Monday so I'm just trying to do some research before that. I doubt that our cat has hot spots as there doesn't appear to be any skin problems. Is there really anything which can be done to fix this problem? He is 11 years old and has been beautiful all his life until recently. He's a seal point Birman. I hate the thought of putting him down but if he is so uncomfortable and continues to abuse himself, I'm thinking this may well be the thing to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Ann
    Is this a joke?

If it's only within the last 6 months, than it shouldn't be hard to pinpoint what caused the stress, and fix it. There is no need to KILL your cat because it is less than perfect.