Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. List of Banned Breeds

U.S. List of Banned Breeds

This was copied from an email I got from a Pit Bull email ring I'm signed up for...
    if you want to join-
    denverbreedban@yahoogroups.com
    or ThePitBullBand@aol.com

This is the list of verified breeds we found in the United States
    affected by bans or restricted in some way. If you have verifiable
    information on any other breeds affected, please let us know.

Leisa & Judy

Dogs currently affected by BSL in the United States

This list is specifically named in ordinances

American Pit Bull Terrier
    American Staffordshire Terrier
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Bull Terrier (Monticello, Centerville, Alburnett & Hiawatha Iowa)
    (Grandview MO) (N Little Rock, AR) (KY & WA)
    Akita (Ulyssas, KS)
    Alaskan Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)
    American Bull Dog (North Little Rock, AR) (Aurora CO.)(Akron OH)
    Belgian Malanois (Fairfield, IA)
    Boerboels (Fairfield, IA)
    Cane Corso (Aurora CO)
    Chow Chow (Travelers Rest, SC), (Newport, RI) (Lynnville, TN)
    Doberman Pincher (Fairfield, IA) (Sisston, SD), (Westfield, IL),
    (Travelers Rest, SC) (Lynnville, TN) (Buffalo Center, IA)
    Dogo Argentino (Aurora CO)
    English Mastiffs, (Yale, IA)
    Fila Brasileiro (also known as the Fila, Brazilian Mastiff) (Aurora
    CO)
    German Shepard (Fairfield, IA) (Lynnville, TN)
    Great Danes (Fairfield, IA)
    Irish Wolf Hounds (Fairfield, IA)
    Mastiffs (Fairfield, IA)
    Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)
    Presa Mallorquin (also known as the Ca De Bou) (Aurora, CO)
    Presa Canario (Lanett, AL) (Aurora CO)
    Rottweiler (North Little Rock AR) (Buffalo Grove, ILL) (Fairfield,
    Conrad, Lake Mills & Lockridge IA) (Walkerton, IN) (Inman, KS) (Carl
    Junction & Salisbury MO) (Binghamton, NY) (Velva, ND)(Pawtuckett, RI)
    (Travelers Rest, SC)(Lynnville, TN)(Smithville, UT)(Neah Bay, WA)
    (Buffalo Center, IA)
    Scottish Deerhounds (Fairfield, IA)
    Shar Pei's (Smithfield, UT)
    Siberian Huskies (Fairfield, IA)
    Tosa Inu (Aurora CO)

NOTE These are breeds that are typically over 100 lbs according to
    UKC & AKC Standards. If your dog is over 100lbs in Fairfield, Iowa it
    is considered a restricted breed.

1. Akbash

2. Anatolian Shepherd

3. Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog

4. Borzoi

5. Bull Masiff

6. Dogue De Bordeauxs

7. Estrela Mountain Dog

8. Great Pyrenees

9. Italian Mastiff

10. Komondor

11. Kangal Dog

12. Kuvaz

13. Leonberger

14. Neopolitian Mastiff

15. New Foundland

16. Otterhound

17. St. Bernard

18. Spanish Mastiff
    *Riley Star*
    English Springer Spaniel

*Jasmine Lula*
    English Springer Spaniel

*Meera Abby* Adopted Dec. 26, 2000

*Putsy Tabitha* Born May 1995
    *Samie DJ* Born Mar. 8, 1998

http://i2.tinypic.com/qz591v.jpg
    "Don't support groups that support BSL."

blueberrybun Guest
    Wow. How could you ban a Newfie?? Or a St Bernard? Or a Great Dane??? Those are 3 of the sweetest dogs ever!!

When I saw St Bernard I just thought "morons". They are all sweet breeds if you ask me. And although I've never had a good experience with a chow I'll never say to ban them.
    *Riley Star*
    English Springer Spaniel

*Jasmine Lula*
    English Springer Spaniel

I agree Saint Bernards? My brother has one named Meadow she is the sweetest thing and great with the kids and baby and the other dogs, turtle and birds. I know alot of people I would like to bann..
    So sad seeing this.
    RIo&Nicksymommy

And you know what sucks? Alot of you guys are PETA supporters here and Ingrid supports banning pit bulls because "if there are none we can't abuse them". Maybe that's the one group that needs to do the right thing for these dogs, they could really use the support, and I don't mean killing them off.

https://www.indybay.org/news/2005/06/1746347.php
    Last edited by rileystar04; 12-04-2005 at 01:31 AM.
    *Riley Star*
    English Springer Spaniel

*Jasmine Lula*
    English Springer Spaniel

blueberrybun Guest
    I am not a PETA supporter. I agree with some things that they do but then think alot are extreme. Then again I have not studied up on them much. I just never have talked about my stance on them. I don't think it is necessary bc it will only cause a big debate. And please, if anybody is offended I apologize but that is just my opinion.

I say it only because I know so many here support PETA, and so many here DO NOT support breed bans. Maybe someone needs to speak up or do something, because such a powerful group supporting such a disgusting cause is a scary thing. And no I'm not trying to bash them here or start an argument.
    *Riley Star*
    English Springer Spaniel

*Jasmine Lula*
    English Springer Spaniel

blueberrybun Guest
    Well, I think that most people that support PETA do not necessarily agree with everything they do. Even John has stated before that he does not stand by every single thing that PETA does. You can only support them to a certain extent. Does that make sense?

I don't see where Fairfield, IA has banned any breed in their city ordinances. Here is the link to their ordinance on keeping of "dangerous animals".

http://cityoffairfieldiowa.com/Publi...nces/index.cfm

I see it as holding the pet owner responsible for owning such breeds, which needs to be done. I share my life with a Dobe, and would have no problem living in Fairfield with him. He would not be banned, but I would have to post a sign, if he was an "Attack dog, by training made vicious in response to stimuli or command", which he isn't, but I would still post it. All dogs have to be on a leash in public. That is how I see their law. Isn't that what we are fighting for? Stop banning and start holding the owners responsible?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant
    Click every day to save a stray until he finds a loving home.

I think all pet owners should be responsible whether their dog weighs in at 3 lbs or 300 lbs! We never let our dog out without being on a leash, unless it is in our back yard. The neighbors to one side of us have chihuahuas and they never leave their fenced in yard. On the other side though, it's a whole other story. They have a dog like an Akita that stays chained all the time. They do feed it apparently. He's really mean. They also have various dogs that wonder the street. These are not big dogs at all. One is Maltipoo, one is chihuahua, and the youngest one is a mini dach. The chihuahua came into OUR front yard where we had OUR dog on a leash and tried to attack her. Lucy is much bigger than that dog, but she does not have a fighting personality. Only my yelling at the dog, and stomping my feet like I was going to stomp him, caused him to back off. I finally did get him back into his own yard. This same family had another dog a couple years ago that came running into the yard and was going to attack my granddaughter. The owner was working on his car, doing nothing about the dog. I said, definitely loud enough for the guy to hear, *if you bite this child, I guarantee it will be the last thing on this earth you bite*. He finally called the dog back over. About a week later, my daughter in law came home from work and the dog grabbed her pants leg. She called them and told them they needed to keep that dog up before something bad happened, and she wasn't meaning that she was going to do anything to the dog. Her meaning was that they needed to keep the dog up because it was obviously very mean and was going to end up biting somebody. They did something with the dog. I don't know what, but it isn't here anymore. Granted, these are small dogs, but they are not under control. In my opinion, if you are going to have a dog, you need to control that dog no matter what size it is. Small dogs can be viscious too.

Robyn

JustJo Guest
    Well said Robyn. In 2000 an infant was killed by the family Pomeranian. There have been documented fatal dog attacks by dachshunds, westies, and even a yorkie.

As far as St. Bernards...they have the same record as Great Danes. From 1979 to 2001 both breeds have been responsible for 7 deaths each. No where have I ever seen any death attributed to an Irish Wolfhound. To restrict breeds because of size alone is just stupid. As far as restraining, I believe in leash laws and think they are the best thing for the dog's safety, and that ALL breeds regardless of size should be restrained by a leash when out in public, except for designated dog parks, etc. If you want to have your dog loose in your yard then put up a fence. I see nothing wrong with those two restraint laws, they are just common sense.

I definatly agree. People are for some reason, afraid of big dogs. Mine is only 73lbs and some people are terrified of him, which pisses me off. (I say only because I do not consider that a large dog).

One time we were walking and this lady was terrified of him, wouldn't go near him, but she went right up to this little dog, a Chi, and pet him (without asking owner) and it bit her hands.
    *Riley Star*
    English Springer Spaniel

*Jasmine Lula*
    English Springer Spaniel

John Olexa Guest
    I have been bit far more often by little dogs, then big dogs.Come to think of it I have never been bit by a big dog LOL.That banned list is insane.

NO, I don't support a ban list of any kind, for any breed.

I was bit by an Aus sheppherd, they are not on the list it all comes down to 0wners and the lack of effort on our government and Department of Agriculture. Bad breders are not "controlled" or even monitored. Sounds like we have a lot of work to do!

John Olexa Guest
    Just looked at 2 bumpers stickers, 1 says "Ban Stupid People, not Pit Bulls"
    the other says " Ban Ignorance... Not Pit Bulls"